Off duty deputy's gun goes off in dentist office, no charges filed

GENESEE CO. -- A Genesee County Sheriff's deputy's gun goes off at an unlikely place, a dentist's office.

"I think as a police officer they should know how to handle their weapon without it discharging, especially in a public place," says Penny Bowman of Flint.

Authorities say a female, off-duty sheriff's deputy concealing her personal a 22 caliber, two-shot derringer handgun walked into the office.

"Guns just don't go off. 'Responsibility' would be a key word I would think," says Flint's Kenneth Bowman.

Full story link

Theres a POLL on the page.

Initial reports say since it was a legal firearm being used in a legal manner, there isn't a problem.

What was the legal manner? This "article" lacks details.

I replied to the idiot that said you don't need a gun in a Med building. Seems we had a reason not too long ago as to why we DO need to carry there!

I replied NO, to charges being filed. However, I believe the deputy needs to undergo a thorough review of firearm handling, live fire review and proper carry instruction. Also at the 6 month and 1 year points to insure she is still up to snuff.

The deputy should be arrested and prosecuted as hard as someone not a member of the thin blue line would be.

The deputy should be arrested and prosecuted as hard as someone not a member of the thin blue line would be.

The point that is trying to be made is that it was an accident and no one was hurt. Prosecuting someone because of an accident is stupid, no matter if you wear a badge or not. That's what we would all like to see. Unfortunately it doesn't work that way as we all know all too well, but we can dream can't we?

Sitting there with a bunch of "what if's" is a waste of time.

Holy uber-mega FAIL, batman. Not only is she carrying a .22 derringer, but she doesn't know how to handle it, either? And taxpayers pay her to carry a gun for work?

Aye caramba!

"Initial reports say since it was a legal firearm being used in a legal manner, there isn't a problem."

In this state there is no "legal manner" of discharging a firearm except at a range or similar. Even in a legitimate self defense situation, a discharge is only "legal" if the judge/jury pronounces you innocent. Accidents are not often forgiven.

Why would you have one in the chamber ready to fire in a non dangerous situation. She needs more gun safety and training.......

Will someone please reply on this guys comment. I'm on my phone and can't set up an account.

"Initial reports say since it was a legal firearm being used in a legal manner, there isn't a problem."

In this state there is no "legal manner" of discharging a firearm except at a range or similar. Even in a legitimate self defense situation, a discharge is only "legal" if the judge/jury pronounces you innocent. Accidents are not often forgiven.

That's MASS., not CO. In MASS. there are double standards built into the system. That's why I replied the way I did. If this had happened in CT or MASS., I would have voted for the officer to have been charged and thrown in jail, just like us serfs would. Since it is CO. there is a better treatment with regards to 2A citizen rights. I hope she is made into a better LE for this accident and has a much better understanding of firearm usage and applications.

Although the Middlesex county DA has already listed "accident for which no charges will be filed" as a possible outcome of the Framingham PD swat team accidental shooting. You should have said "accidents by persons not in government service are not often forgiven :)".

That's MASS., not CO. In MASS. there are double standards built into the system. That's why I replied the way I did. If this had happened in CT or MASS., I would have voted for the officer to have been charged and thrown in jail, just like us serfs would. Since it is CO. there is a better treatment with regards to 2A citizen rights. I hope she is made into a better LE for this accident and has a much better understanding of firearm usage and applications.

This isn't CO either.

Genesee County is in Michigan.

Back
Top Bottom