• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Odd Range Question

In addition to being a gun enthusiast, I am also quite the comic book nerd. As such, I enjoy attending comic conventions and, as a Marine and gun enthusiast would, cosplaying as the Punisher.

I have a plate carrier that I have painted up with the skull on the chest, but I would love to add some authentic bullet holes to complete the look.

Is anyone aware of a range, or in possession of a piece of property, where I'd be able to do a little shooting and, while there, hang the front of the plate carrier (sans plate) on a target stand and put a handful of 9mm and 5.56mm holes in it?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Castle.jpg
    Castle.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 144
If you took a few squeakers from some stuffed dog toys and hid them in the carrier pockets my chocolate lab could simulate that look pretty quickly.

Hey Devil Dog, I just remembered that the Martin Burns Wildlife Management Area in Byfield has a Public outdoor range. You could shoot there for free.
I'd be discreet with the cosplay though. Some of them salt-hay farmers don't appreciate an "artist"...

Last edited:
Sorry can't help but......

Do you happen to drive a white/ivory 4 door sedan with a Punisher sticker on the rear bumper, driver side and also a slightly crumpled driver side fender?

I saw this car on the highway ~6am ish today on 95 N.
Negative, Ghost Rider. This is me.

Attachments

• truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 149
Hey Devil Dog, I just remembered that the Martin Burns Wildlife Management Area in Byfield has a Public outdoor range. You could shoot there for free.
I'd be discreet with the cosplay though. Some of them salt-hay farmers don't appreciate an "artist"...
The last thing I need is a Fudd getting his knickers in a twist because I'm shooting at something atypical. Screw those guys.

I don't see why anyone would have a problem with you shooting at a plate carrier.

In 2002, before we deployed for Iraq, I "procured" a couple of bullet proof vests (that's what we called them, anyway) to take overseas. These were HEAVY, and in those days we were just told not to get shot (I was Air Force at the time, anyway - desk jockey, not PJ or SPECOPS), and if I was going to bring a stupid hunk of crap over there that took up space from my Listerine, I wanted to be sure it worked. I brought one vest out to Chicopee Sportsman's Club (was a member at the time) and put a full clip through my SKS into it, and followed up with a magazine of .45, both at a distance of about 25 yards. The other shooters on the range looked at me odd, till I explained that I wanted to test my equipment instead of letting the Iraqis do it. (the vest worked GREAT - stopped everything)
Just say you're testing your equipment, and no one will care. These vests are a lot more common now, too.

The last thing I need is a Fudd getting his knickers in a twist because I'm shooting at something atypical. Screw those guys.
1. You'll need to get written permission from f and g to use Martin burns.

2. That place is rarely open when it's supposed to be.....lots of guys pack up and head there just to be met with a locked gate.

3. Lots of Meatheads shoot old TV's and junk out there and leave it on the ground for others to clean up.....so a plate carrier would not be considered odd.

Just hang it off that fortress storage building off 93, in a week itll have a few holes in it [rofl] Local "bangers" like taking pot shots at that thing. It's the urban equivalent of a "no hunting" sign that the local rednecks shoot holes in at random odd intervals.

-Mike

I don't see why anyone would have a problem with you shooting at a plate carrier.

In 2002, before we deployed for Iraq, I "procured" a couple of bullet proof vests (that's what we called them, anyway) to take overseas. These were HEAVY, and in those days we were just told not to get shot (I was Air Force at the time, anyway - desk jockey, not PJ or SPECOPS), and if I was going to bring a stupid hunk of crap over there that took up space from my Listerine, I wanted to be sure it worked. I brought one vest out to Chicopee Sportsman's Club (was a member at the time) and put a full clip through my SKS into it, and followed up with a magazine of .45, both at a distance of about 25 yards. The other shooters on the range looked at me odd, till I explained that I wanted to test my equipment instead of letting the Iraqis do it. (the vest worked GREAT - stopped everything)
Just say you're testing your equipment, and no one will care. These vests are a lot more common now, too.
Ones that look like this are a little less common.

Attachments

• 20171022_111345.jpg
    20171022_111345.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 70
1. You'll need to get written permission from f and g to use Martin burns.

Aww. When did it change? I used to go up there in the early 2000's with my brother and it was GTG.

If you’re doing it just for show (to wear at your nerd convention) why not just take a cigarette to it at home and burn some holes thru it?

9mm rounds thru soft black cloth are going to be hard to see if at all, and will then start to fray and fuzz with wear. Burn holes will be more open and circular and won’t fray as easily if that’s the effect you’re going for.

Not sure why anyone would want to purposely mess up good equipment but to each his own.

If you’re doing it just for show (to wear at your nerd convention) why not just take a cigarette to it at home and burn some holes thru it?

9mm rounds thru soft black cloth are going to be hard to see if at all, and will then start to fray and fuzz with wear. Burn holes will be more open and circular and won’t fray as easily if that’s the effect you’re going for.

Not sure why anyone would want to purposely mess up good equipment but to each his own.
The holes will be through the white painted skull, they'll be plenty visible.

I shot up a couple of bullet proof vests at Harvard to see what would go through and what wouldn't. No one seemed to care and I don't see how what you want to do is any different. The vests turned out not to be that bullet proof. It did stop a 700 grain 500 S&W which was impressive but the wearer would have had the vest imbedded 2" into his chest.

I don't know why anyone would have an issue with it. If I saw you at Harvard hang that thing over a target stand (so the bullets impact the berm) and shoot it, I wouldn't think anything of it.

0A0ADFBE-E8C2-4D71-8242-D49FE70F806E.jpeg

This should go well with your outfit, and keep your hands free while at the show to eat, drink, whatever.

Not trying to be a smartass either, stumbled across it yesterday while online and it made me think of this thread.

Doesn't appear to be usable with a magazine inserted. Not worth much in that case.

Ya I noticed that too, not sure what this guys using it for, just thought for the comicon stuff it would look cool and free up your hands. No biggie.

Too much tacticool, not very practicool.
Yup. And as cool as it would be to draw an AR from a scabbard like a katana, I have used practicality as my guidance for the punisher gear setup. I've been setting it up as I would have had it when I was wearing this type of gear in the Corps (of course, we didn't have MOLLE in my time, we had ALICE and 782 gear).

Back
Top Bottom