• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Odd Long Range Shooting Question

In God We Trust

NES Member
I know nothing on this subject, so excuse my ignorance. I was reading a book about an assassin who was setting up a hit with a scoped rifle. In the book he didn’t take it to a range and dial it in, but used some laser system to zero the rifle.

Is this possible or total fiction? I assume it’s BS.

Edit: in the book the shot was about 2 city blocks. 200m? (I figure)

Reading books is good, but zeroing rifles in real life is way more fun.
Laser can be used initially at 25yds but each barrel is unique and has to be shot, ideally with a specific round of your choice at 50/100yds to get properly zeroed.
Looking through the barrel at target works better than a laser.

I know nothing on this subject, so excuse my ignorance. I was reading a book about an assassin who was setting up a hit with a scoped rifle. In the book he didn’t take it to a range and dial it in, but used some laser system to zero the rifle.

Lasers shoot a straight trajectory. Bullets do not.

Probably the novel's author doesn't really understand how firearms work. But to give him the benefit of the doubt, if the shooter has intimate knowledge of how much drop his bullet has at specific distances, he could zero a laser to the scope at the desired distance and then dial in the correction for bullet drop.

But that knowledge would have come from extended practice using that rifle, sighting system, and cartridge to produce Data On Previous Experience (DOPE) for that setup. Make one change, such as different ammo with a different muzzle velocity, and you need all new DOPE for that load.

A typical "laser" will only get you a "theoretical" bore axis line of sight zero at a close range of <50 yds (unless the bore sight laser was some type of high tech electronic range finding device that calculates ballistics and can produce the appropriate trajectory) . Remember as soon as a bullet leaves the barrel gravity takes over and the bullet starts dropping. In actuality your optic view is true line of sight at your target, but your barrel is physically pointed slightly "upwards" to offset the bullet drop.

If you want an awesome author who's a gun guy, try Stephen Hunter - his books are hard to put down

Billy Summers?

If you want an awesome author who's a gun guy, try Stephen Hunter - his books are hard to put down

I’ve read just about all of those. Great books.

If he knew the bullet drop, which is easy at 200M, should be no problem to sight in at that distance using a laser bore sighter. Not optimum, but doable.

To put it in perspective, a bunch of us who regularly shoot service rifle matches (high power, CMP, etc.) can generally hold head-shot size groups prone with a sling at 200 yards using only iron sights.

If he knew the bullet drop, which is easy at 200M, should be no problem to sight in at that distance using a laser bore sighter. Not optimum, but doable.

To put it in perspective, a bunch of us who regularly shoot service rifle matches (high power, CMP, etc.) can generally hold head-shot size groups prone with a sling at 200 yards using only iron sights.
What professional assassin is going to risk missing a shot at 200 meters with a bore sight unconfirmed zero? I'm sure it can be done but that seems like a lot of unnecessary risk on the assassin's part. Or maybe I'm just more thorough with my plans. [rofl]

What professional assassin is going to risk missing a shot at 200 meters with a bore sight unconfirmed zero? I'm sure it can be done but that seems like a lot of unnecessary risk on the assassin's part. Or maybe I'm just more thorough with my plans. [rofl]
Nobody legit would do it on purpose LOL. Just saying a lethal hit at 200M via a quality laser bore sight is totally plausible. Dumb, but not that difficult.

I don't know if I'd trust a laser bore sight to be accurate out to 200m. I've seen tests where they mount the bore sighter to a lathe and spin it and you can see the laser on the wall making a circle as it spins. The only way it would work is if you could guarantee the laser was set perfectly straight in the sighter and the bore sight was centered perfect to the bore of the rifle. I think the odds of checking both those boxes are not very good.

I don't know if I'd trust a laser bore sight to be accurate out to 200m. I've seen tests where they mount the bore sighter to a lathe and spin it and you can see the laser on the wall making a circle as it spins. The only way it would work is if you could guarantee the laser was set perfectly straight in the sighter and the bore sight was centered perfect to the bore of the rifle. I think the odds of checking both those boxes are not very good.
same was when i tested it on my rifles - it was not sitting well in the bore. an ok thing to put it on the target at 25yds, but not much more than that.
plus, on longer distances - like on 100yds distance i could not see that laser dot on the target through the scope at all during day - it was totally washed out. a useless gizmo, more or less. may be there are more expensive ones that are actually useful, but those i had were not good at all.

I agree. I have a few, and they're hit/miss with precision and when they are off, they also aren't always off in the same direction, as it depends on how you insert it in the chamber which way is going to be off.

FWIW, one can sight through the bore of a bolt action and be on paper at 100.
You can even do it with an AR if you’ve got a decent rifle vise. Just take the upper off and pull the bolt carrier group and then put the upper in the vise and bore sight it. Since the optic is attached to the upper, you don’t really need the lower to bore sight the optic.

Ummm, I don't think he was bore-sighting. I think the lasers were adjusting the crosshairs. They have that now. IIRC, they can monitor wind as well. So the crosshairs just appear where they should within the scope. Crazy cutting edge stuff.

Hunter is pretty good. At times I do find problems with his gun stuff.

Worse is Vince Flynn. There has to be 4-5 firearm mistakes in every Rapp book. I really enjoy his writing, but the mistakes are glaring. He was not a gun guy.

Probably the novel's author doesn't really understand how firearms work. But to give him the benefit of the doubt, if the shooter has intimate knowledge of how much drop his bullet has at specific distances, he could zero a laser to the scope at the desired distance and then dial in the correction for bullet drop.

But that knowledge would have come from extended practice using that rifle, sighting system, and cartridge to produce Data On Previous Experience (DOPE) for that setup. Make one change, such as different ammo with a different muzzle velocity, and you need all new DOPE for that load.
Learn something every day on NES, this explains my 1950's book "Practical DOPE on .22's " like .22 hornet etc. etc., mostly wildcats! Thanks FiremanBob

Ummm, I don't think he was bore-sighting. I think the lasers were adjusting the crosshairs. They have that now. IIRC, they can monitor wind as well. So the crosshairs just appear where they should within the scope. Crazy cutting edge stuff.

Hunter is pretty good. At times I do find problems with his gun stuff.

Worse is Vince Flynn. There has to be 4-5 firearm mistakes in every Rapp book. I really enjoy his writing, but the mistakes are glaring. He was not a gun guy.
That's making more sense as tech for the storyline.

Yep. Saw a YT video last week of a guy that did it for a bow and arrow. He had motors mounted to move the bow around his left hand on an X-Y axis. Plus about 18 cameras all over the room. He could shoot an arrow at a moving target and hit it with consistency without looking. The computer took into account the movement of hte object and the location of the bow in space to quickly adjust the aim. Completely impractical, but a self-ranging scope was science fiction 20 years ago.

I would expect that the divergence of a small laser over 200 yards is going to create a fairly large dot.

Learn something every day on NES, this explains my 1950's book "Practical DOPE on .22's " like .22 hornet etc. etc., mostly wildcats! Thanks FiremanBob
I believe that that's actually a bacronym,

based on

Was "dope" originally an acronym? [Archive] - CMP Forums (Scroll down a bit, to the 5th post).

Kind of like "Russian RPG" does not stand for Rocket Propelled Grenade, but is from

hand-held anti-tank grenade launcher in Rusky-speak.

Reading books is good, but zeroing rifles in real life is way more fun.
Laser can be used initially at 25yds but each barrel is unique and has to be shot, ideally with a specific round of your choice at 50/100yds to get properly zeroed.
Looking through the barrel at target works better than a laser.
My Serbu BFG50A disassembles in a way that makes this very easy. I bore sighted at 100 yards setting the scope. Wanting to be perfectly safe, I let a friend take the first shot at 100 yards. He put the round through a 1"x1" target paster we put on the white side of a cardboard USPSA target at 100 yards without breaking the edge of the paster. No one else has ever duplicated that shot with that gun. It was like "You're done, your average score can only go down from here".

Back
Top Bottom