• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Odd classified responses

MuzzleDiscipline

NES Life Member
NES Member
Has anyone else been getting inquires from accounts with 0 posts 0 feedback but not necessarily new?
How about inquires for listings removed?
I am kinda thick. Is there some an advantage for a regular NES member to make initial inquires using a toss away member ID?

I’ve had few of these on a classified post recently. Always with an offer a hundred bucks less than asking and usually back to back and different user names.... Weird for sure.

I almost always get a reply from someone with 0 posts and (1) either just signed up that day or (2) have a 5 year old account ha.

I have to think that there a lot of first timers and lurkers at any point. But more so now. And I have to assume that many will only sign up to specifically respond to an ad they are interested in.

0 posts is suspect, but 0 review could mean anything. I actually have one successful (I think we were both happy) transaction here and I didn't get any feedback from the buyer, so maybe the feedback is with a grain of salt. 0 posts though....that one makes my eyebrow raise. Maybe someone who only uses the forum to search for items to quickly flip? Maybe something more nefarious?

you're seeing the hundreds of people who over the years made an account here but never became a paid member and cruised into other things and drifted on. now with the lockdown, they remember nes and have come back to kill time. some have been shamed into paying the 21 bucks, the others, just waiting for better options.

Has anyone else been getting inquires from accounts with 0 posts 0 feedback but not necessarily new?
How about inquires for listings removed?
I am kinda thick. Is there some an advantage for a regular NES member to make initial inquires using a toss away member ID?
I’ve known a couple guys that lurked here and would scan the classified. They didn’t ever post, but would read the forums and look for good deals. Nothing shady about them, just didn’t care for online chatting.

Granted buying and selling things in general you meet odd ducks, some otherwise normal people get weird about guns - some sellers think its a trap to get robbed (possibly at a later date), some buyers also go way out of their way to be anonymous - I guess to truly have no paper trail. It isn't me, but is pretty common.

As a close to 0 poster and a new to here forum go-er, ive found for sale threads that are still up as they are not sold but after a message to the thread starter, i found its sold.

Whether thats true or not im unsure because of being a newbie.
But i understand the hesitation

I found this form by googling AR's for sale in Massachusetts. I ended up purchasing one off of a member. First message 0 post. So if you Google your add title, and you find your classified. I can't imagine that it would be unusual for someone to respond.
At that point I just signed up to respond to a classified. So it may be someone legit. If I knew I was going to stick around I may have picked a better screen name. 😂 At that point I just chose something easy to remember. I still don't post A ton, but I read a lot.

One user (long time NES'er, known for ages) PM'ed me the other day in reference to a 2-3 year old advert that I didn't know was still listed.

Is it possible people are being directed to these things somewhere on-site, or that a new Google algorithm is grabbing old ads?

All I have noticed lately is a large uptick in fake/scam listings on Armslist. Usually, they are pretty simple & easy to spot, but there are so many lately that it's getting hard to find a genuine seller (other than a known dealer). What's up with that? [thinking]

That's the one big advantage of listings in NES Classifieds. You may not like the higher-than-brand-new prices, but the chances are there's a genuine seller behind the listing. [thumbsup]

I've been selling off all my reloading equipment/supplies and some ammo. Some buyers have zero or close to that posts and no feedback. NBD, everyone has been nice, courteous and other than one a few people who "went dark" (and they weren't zero post folks), all transactions have been great!

Some indeed register on NES strictly to buy stuff, nothing wrong with that.

I saw a low priced free state item listed by a new member (green). Went after it but was nervous so planned the swap at the local PD near him. Ok'd it with COP. Turned out he was a detective at the city. It was all good. Great guy to boot.

i was just remembering the time i was selling several boxes of black talon .40 s&w ammo. i had 10 boxes, 9 new and one i had taken my carry ammo from...so we'll say a used box. was up in the classifieds for a while @ $75/box of 20. i had a guy from texas, who had joined nes the day he contacted me via pm, obviously no prior posts or rep, wanting to buy the ammo with no haggling over price. he ended up buying 8 boxes for the price i was asking, $75 ea. plus shipping costs. don't believe me, here's the amended ad i still have up trying to sell the remaining 2 boxes after a price drop.
i remember posting here before i sold it to him to get opinions on the transaction before i committed. i boxed up the ammo, went to ups in chelmsford, they put the orm-d stickers on and weighed it for me and i headed home to give the guy the total price. it was ~$630. he sent a postal money order out 2nd day fedex!

damn right his money was green. he never logged back on again.

At least you got a response. I replied to a WTB post with exactly what they were looking for. I got nothing back from them. If i'm too high on my price, you already found what you're looking for, or you just changed your mind; at least drop a line saying you're all set.

Back
Top Bottom