• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Odd 9mm brass

Mass Predator

Banned
As a brass whore I was collecting brass and came across "maxx tech" 9mm brass.....I instantly felt that it was too heavy and figured I had a klingon....nope. If you look down the case all appears normal until you look into it....there is a "bullet ledge" or a stop. This added brass goes all the way down to the rim and is all one piece. Any one know why....why all the extra brass....and why? To limit the powder charge? Asked my "old timer expert" and he had never seen anything like it.

No idea. Got any pics?

m6CXxVT.jpg

72u9K3V.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's interesting, I'm sure its some means of trying to skinflint on the manufacturing process.

-Mike

I just saw that same brass at the last IDPA match. One of the other shooters had picked it up and was showing it to a few others. I asked to see it and yup, exactly like you describe. Same headstamp and odd "ledge" inside. I don't think anyone who saw it could come up with a reason to why they exist.

That's interesting, I'm sure its some means of trying to skinflint on the manufacturing process.

-Mike

From some of the reviews I skimmed through it sounds like its crap ammo.

Might be suitable for shit's 'n' giggles plinking at most.

I hit a few of those in the press. My 147 bullets won't get all the way in those. Another type of case to toss in the bin along with the swaged wins and ftc nt cases.

Toss it - the cases split along the diameter where the shelf is leaving a ring of brass in your chamber.

As for swaged cases, set them aside! I (and others using a 1050) will be happy to buy them if you get enough to make shipping worthwhile.

I've reloaded them with some 115 gr. Berry's for plinking ammo. I haven't had any issues with them yet, I think I've got two reloads on the cases I have out of the whole bunch. I probably only have about 50-100 of them.

It sounds like the ledge would prevent bullet setback, caused by multiple chamberings of the same round. This would be a good thing for defensive ammo, but probably not cost effective or necessary for target ammo.

Hmm I don't recall running into this before. I'll certainly look at these more closely.

Crimped Winchester cases usually have a WCC headstamp, usually with year and NATO cross. In the last few months I've come across a couple dozen crimped cases that look like typical WWB cases with Winchester head stamp.

Crimped Winchester cases usually have a WCC headstamp, usually with year and NATO cross. In the last few months I've come across a couple dozen crimped cases that look like typical WWB cases with Winchester head stamp.

I'm aware of the WCC headstamp but you guys are saying there's "Win" headstamp that has crimped primer pockets??

I found one of those the other day. The XL650 powder level sensor brought it to my attention. It decapped and primed just fine. It's in the scrap bin near the press still if anyone wants a pic.

@drgrant is it possible to move this to reloading?

I realized I was down to the bottom scraps of my 3rd ammo can of 9mm and figured I need to start making a few more. Well I’m glad I verify each headstamp before putting the case on the press.

I’ve heard of ZQI ammo but haven’t come across their 9mm brass before. It has 2! ledges/rings inside. Watch out for that headstamp when reloading. 0AC0096A-ECA2-48D7-A0E2-E94D14A23413.jpeg C5AB80F6-CB9E-4FAE-AC03-02BA5E2A2DF2.jpeg

@drgrant is it possible to move this to reloading?

I realized I was down to the bottom scraps of my 3rd ammo can of 9mm and figured I need to start making a few more. Well I’m glad I verify each headstamp before putting the case on the press.

I’ve heard of ZQI ammo but haven’t come across their 9mm brass before. It has 2! ledges/rings inside. Watch out for that headstamp when reloading. View attachment 672938View attachment 672939

done

ZQI was that Turkish? ammo that walmart was bringing in during one of the obamascares, but then the Walmart tried to flint on them and they dumped them, lol.

It wasnt bad ammo but im not surprised the brass is weird.

Back
Top Bottom