• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

October Was 10th Straight Month of Record Firearm Background Checks

Reptile

NES Member
October 2020 was the tenth straight month of record National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) background checks for gun sales.

FBI figures show 3,305,465 NICS checks were conducted, surpassing the previous record of 2,393,609, set in October 2019.

And still rising!

I just reviewed a manuscript from Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health authors who did a survey in July about guns. They are milking it for all they can, submitting little bites of data analysis in multiple manuscripts to multiple journals. This one finds that 34% of gun purchases from March to mid-July were new gun owners. That compares well with NSSF's estimate of 40%. They link the rise to COVID-19 but completely avoid any mention of "unrest" beginning late May after Floyd's death. If fact, they were unable to ascribe any motivation to gun purchases. Presumably as they didn't anticipate other than COVID-19 as a causative factor and designed their survey with a bias that made conclusions on motivation useless.

They also found that 20% purchased more ammo and 30% less ammo March to mid-July. I'll venture those buying less either couldn't find it, were not shooting as much or were impacted by lockdowns that restricted access to ammo. That new gun ownership surged was certainly limited by availability and access.

I'm a scientist. And I believe science should inform policy makers but not define policy. But when scientists bias their work to develop biased outcomes, it's not science. A wolf in a lab jacket is up to no good.

Last edited:
Should start slowing down though... They're running out of guns to sell.

Back
Top Bottom