• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Oct 28 2017 Cast Bullet Seminar Sign Up Thread

Sorry I haven't been around much. I have been feel great but getting better. Well I am getting back into getting some material for casting I have picked up about 15lbs of Pewter in the last couple of weeks so I still have to melt some down into ingots.

Attachments

• _1.jpg
    _1.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 17
Wow that’s an awesome score bill!

I always wanted to get a really big round ball mould or similar where I could cast up 1oz balls of tin for easy math on adding alloy to my pot.

Sorry I haven't been around much. I have been feel great but getting better. Well I am getting back into getting some material for casting I have picked up about 15lbs of Pewter in the last couple of weeks so I still have to melt some down into ingots.
Hard stamp those so you don't mix them up. I won't say pewter makes bad bullets but they tend to be a waste of tin.
I won't tell you I did this BUT I knew a guy who was going nuts trying to figure out why his zero was off. Then to find out your 200 grain slug only weighs 135 grains!

I have another batch of lead for 2018 seminar if needed.
If you don't need it for the seminar directly I will off some up in a karma to those attending?
I have: unsorted wheel weights
Some ignots and assorted pieces.
I might even throw in some tin

anyone have a mold that drops a .268-.270 130-150 grains?

When should we do the next seminar?
Summer? Fall?

I’m thinking we could do less smelting and more casting this time around.
Or maybe a casting and loading cast advanced course.

When should we do the next seminar?
Summer? Fall?

I’m thinking we could do less smelting and more casting this time around.
Or maybe a casting and loading cast advanced course.
I'm in100% I have not a problem hosting again just say when and the advanced course idea sounds great covering cast reloading paerpatching , coatings,mold and die modifications there's alot of cool info that could be shared.

Kinda funny this just got revisited yesterday because I went ahead and started the learning process by myself since I kept missing the damn seminars (one time due to scheduling and the other time due to my own stupidity of not realizing it was supposed to be on a SATURDAY and not the Sunday like I originally had in my head for some reason).

Anyway...This past Friday evening I smelted a 5 gallon bucket of wheel weighs I had sorted for the seminar last year and came out with 50 muffin pan ingots of unknown hardness/mass. The metal FEELS ok/somewhere in the wheelhouse of where I need to be for bullets, so I went ahead and decided to put my mold to the test yesterday and started casting some 9mm projectiles. I feel like I might have screwed up my mold because there's little chunks of material that I can't seem to get out of the mating surface of the two halves, but the bullets themselves still seem ok? Once I got the mold warm enough and got a rhythm going it actually went fairly quickly.

I KNOW there is some stuff that I'm missing that is probably really important...but I just couldn't wait any longer :D

IMG_0825.jpg

Kinda funny this just got revisited yesterday because I went ahead and started the learning process by myself since I kept missing the damn seminars (one time due to scheduling and the other time due to my own stupidity of not realizing it was supposed to be on a SATURDAY and not the Sunday like I originally had in my head for some reason).

Anyway...This past Friday evening I smelted a 5 gallon bucket of wheel weighs I had sorted for the seminar last year and came out with 50 muffin pan ingots of unknown hardness/mass. The metal FEELS ok/somewhere in the wheelhouse of where I need to be for bullets, so I went ahead and decided to put my mold to the test yesterday and started casting some 9mm projectiles. I feel like I might have screwed up my mold because there's little chunks of material that I can't seem to get out of the mating surface of the two halves, but the bullets themselves still seem ok? Once I got the mold warm enough and got a rhythm going it actually went fairly quickly.

I KNOW there is some stuff that I'm missing that is probably really important...but I just couldn't wait any longer :D

View attachment 233494
Not bad at all.
Wheel weight lead should be plenty good enough for 9mm
Sized to match your bore/leadlead/throat and you will be fine.

Yesterday we went out and I was able to pick up about another 5lbs of pewter. When the weather cools a little I will be a melting fool. Great stuff for the Bullet Casting. $1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom