• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Oct 28 2017 Cast Bullet Seminar Sign Up Thread

lyman 457658
b1l8Spal.jpg

boQA6s9l.jpg

Now that’s what I’m talking about. Single shots this wednesday? I need to borrow that pointy mould!!

I put some kryptonite green hi-tek coating on some of my pointy bullets on Saturday and loaded some up. I did not succeed with their intended use only some really good dents, but I only loaded 20 and 22 grains of 2400 with them. 24 grains is the max load listed for them.
I loaded some today with 23.5 grains and it seemed to need to be compressed. I will have to try them out another day.

bZTcFXt.jpg

pVdbdHb.jpg

I also cast up a little over 500 .45 bullets and coated them too.

U7QR458.jpg

DAXuo8W.jpg

I put some kryptonite green hi-tek coating on some of my pointy bullets on Saturday and loaded some up. I did not succeed with their intended use only some really good dents, but I only loaded 20 and 22 grains of 2400 with them. 24 grains is the max load listed for them.
I loaded some today with 23.5 grains and it seemed to need to be compressed. I will have to try them out another day.

bZTcFXt.jpg

pVdbdHb.jpg

I also cast up a little over 500 .45 bullets and coated them too.

U7QR458.jpg

DAXuo8W.jpg

AWESOME! come on Carl Hudson loaded them at 26.5 and said HP White tested them safe to 27.5. I'll hold your beer.
Looks like you nailed the coating too. They look perfect man!

I collected a little lead for more casting. I only got 328.5 pounds for a grand total price of $000.00.

As4M92R.jpg

i hope you did not remove it from the range with out the full approval of the board and I hope there was a open bid on the contract to re move such hazard material[rolleyes]
The removal of scrap metal from a club can get silly depending on whos fingers are involved and whos getting some back door deals.

i hope you did not remove it from the range with out the full approval of the board and I hope there was a open bid on the contract to re move such hazard material[rolleyes]
The removal of scrap metal from a club can get silly depending on whos fingers are involved and whos getting some back door deals.

I asked and I had permission. The companies we use to remove the lead are all out of business now. We paid to have it removed. I didn't remove all of the lead. I just removed a small amount.

I asked and I had permission. The companies we use to remove the lead are all out of business now. We paid to have it removed. I didn't remove all of the lead. I just removed a small amount.

It would not take much to get indoor range pits cleaned out. You let a few casters know the lead needs to be removed and they will show up and it will vanish.
A club im familiar with pays a high price to have the indoor range scrap removed. Where not talking a complete range cleaning here just the stuff in the trough at the bottom of the back stop.

It would not take much to get indoor range pits cleaned out. You let a few casters know the lead needs to be removed and they will show up and it will vanish.
A club im familiar with pays a high price to have the indoor range scrap removed. Where not talking a complete range cleaning here just the stuff in the trough at the bottom of the back stop.

Same here. The last company didn't charge too much and in exchange he also got to keep the lead. There was so much he had to make multiple trips.

There are spots where others have removed some also.

That's a heck of a pile of lead. I've been slowly cleaning out my local indoor range. They told me take whatever I want since they usually pay someone to clean it. I didn't get nearly that much.

Ladle poured some Lee 148g wadcutters - Put about nine pounds in the pot but ended up pouring about seven because I couldn't get a decent amount of lead into the ladle at the end.
I was happy that the mold filled out on the first pour with only a couple of wrinkles but after a few drops it was getting old fast. Stuck with it and almost missed it when the bullets suddenly filled out fully.
Ended up with ~250 1st quality bullets and ~70 that are usable but aren't cosmetically great.

Question: I think I am cutting the spreu early as the center looks like is is breaking under hot-short versus actually cutting - Should I wait longer or does that look fine?
20171124_132151.jpg

Attachments

• 20171124_132035.jpg
    20171124_132035.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Ladle poured some Lee 148g wadcutters - Put about nine pounds in the pot but ended up pouring about seven because I couldn't get a decent amount of lead into the ladle at the end.
I was happy that the mold filled out on the first pour with only a couple of winkles but after a few drops it was getting old fast. Stuck with it and almost missed it when the bullets suddenly filled out fully.
Ended up with ~250 1st quality bullets and ~70 that are usable but aren't cosmetically great.

Question: I think I am cutting the spreu early as the center looks like is is breaking under hot-short versus actually cutting - Should I wait longer or does that look fine?
They look good to me!
By the looks of the sprue cut you might not be waiting long enough to cut. Seems like there's a little tear out. Not a big deal really unless you plan on competing on a national level with those wadcutters. The only issue you could run into is that the lead motion lead from a half cooled sprue could smear on the underside of the sprue plate and the tops of the mould blocks leaving little bits of lead that keep your plate from sitting flat. Then you get flashing on the base of the bullets. Not a big worry really.
Are you going to tumble lube? Hi Tek?

They look good to me!
By the looks of the sprue cut you might not be waiting long enough to cut. Seems like there's a little tear out. Not a big deal really unless you plan on competing on a national level with those wadcutters. The only issue you could run into is that the lead motion lead from a half cooled sprue could smear on the underside of the sprue plate and the tops of the mould blocks leaving little bits of lead that keep your plate from sitting flat. Then you get flashing on the base of the bullets. Not a big worry really.
Are you going to tumble lube? Hi Tek?

Will wait a few seconds longer next time - I was cutting the sprue as soon as it frosted over so it was easy to cut so next time not so lazy.

I need to size them down to .358 from the .360 out of the mold so I was going to send them through the Lyman 45. The HiTek needs to wait until I can grab a cheap toaster oven and get more comfortable with the rest of the process - Baby steps for your newly minted casting addicts...

Will wait a few seconds longer next time - I was cutting the sprue as soon as it frosted over so it was easy to cut so next time not so lazy.

I need to size them down to .358 from the .360 out of the mold so I was going to send them through the Lyman 45. The HiTek needs to wait until I can grab a cheap toaster oven and get more comfortable with the rest of the process - Baby steps for your newly minted casting addicts...

Sounds like you got it figured out man.
Might do some casting today if time permits

Sorted my wheel weights into steel, zinc, and lead. Made some ingots with a smelting pot and a torch. Need a better heat source, guess I'll bring the turbo torch home from work next time. Baby steps as I learn all that is needed
Check yard sales and flea markets even a simple Coleman stove will get it done. Use old metal cans and cut to make a wind screen.

I was happy that the mold filled out on the first pour with only a couple of wrinkles but after a few drops it was getting old fast. Stuck with it and almost missed it when the bullets suddenly filled out fully.

View attachment 213181
Soup cans....love them and are more accurate than a lot of people would admit. I don't think you the gun or target will notice the sprue cut or wrinkles. Range report next.

Sorted my wheel weights into steel, zinc, and lead. Made some ingots with a smelting pot and a torch. Need a better heat source, guess I'll bring the turbo torch home from work next time. Baby steps as I learn all that is needed

This is what I am using for a $10 heat source:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Single-Burner/53264468

For the price you can't really beat it but kick in an extra $5 and get a flat top unit and you can use it to heat your molds if you get a dedicated lead pot.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Brentwood-1000W-Electric-Single-Hotplate/21105722

Saw a ton of turkey fryers at wal mart this past week. Guessing the rest will be on sale from today tilltheyre gone. Could be a good chance to grab a burner for short money

Damn, I was using my coleman single burner with a cast iron pot I thought that would be more than enough heat, but had to give it some help with a propane bernozomatic, melting 3oz. lead wheel weights. Maybe a wind screen, although I was set up on the tailgate of my truck in front of the garage door where it wasn't all that windy. Need a thermometer next I don't think I was getting 675 degrees

Scored a nice medium sized one at Goodwill for $6, lol. Cant beat that.
Saw a ton of turkey fryers at wal mart this past week. Guessing the rest will be on sale from today tilltheyre gone. Could be a good chance to grab a burner for short money

Do you recall the price? Got one for $37. Ordered a couple weeks before not thinking that they would probably be on sale after turkey day. Looked similar to the one you guys had down in Fairhaven. Square shaped with 90 degree corners. Think I remember you mentioning you had welded the legs? Did you do that as a precautionary thing or were they coming apart?

Scored a nice medium sized one at Goodwill for $6, lol. Cant beat that.

Do you recall the price? Got one for $37. Ordered a couple weeks before not thinking that they would probably be on sale after turkey day. Looked similar to the one you guys had down in Fairhaven. Square shaped with 90 degree corners. Think I remember you mentioning you had welded the legs? Did you do that as a precautionary thing or were they coming apart?

They were right around there for price including the pot and the basket etc. bet they will mark way down this week.
We welded that up because it was a double wide unit that we wanted to chop into two separate pieces.

They were right around there for price including the pot and the basket etc. bet they will mark way down this week.
We welded that up because it was a double wide unit that we wanted to chop into two separate pieces.

Ah, ok. I was afraid it was falling apart on you. Looked a lot like the one I got if Im remembering yours correctly, isnt a double wide though. Anyway, good to know and thanks for the reply.

Anyone accidentally walk away with a Lee .357 sizer that was lapped out to .358? with .358 written on the side with a silver paint pen?
I can't find my die

Back
Top Bottom