OC in CT. Guy is asked to leave Subway...

He had me until he called them dickheads. That showed his true purpose. I'm all for standing up and exercising your rights. But..

I don't get what the big deal is. If you're open carrying and a cop says can I see your permit? why do you not just show it to him and be on your way?
because as soon as thery have it their hands you can't leave. They will hold you up for as long as they want.

He had me until he called them dickheads. That showed his true purpose. I'm all for standing up and exercising your rights. But..

at that point he was just kind of calling a spade a spade. they got him booted from the restaurant when all he wanted was a sammich. that's a dick move, and you have to be a dick head to make a dick move like that.

any worse than hard hittin new Britain?
I delt with cops in new Britain on as few occasions in my 20 years of living there with a permit. No problems even when breaking their concealed carry law or regulation they had back then.

that's just obnoxious. Knowing the climate being what it is that's just asking for harassment. I'm sorry on this one I don't agree, show your permit and order your f**king sub. do you need to prove a point 24/7
It' s not like we don't already have enough obstacles carrying. Learn to pick your battles wisely in life.
because backing down at any time gives them more power on the leash they have around our necks, already. **** them

I would ask the cop, if I answer your question will you then leave me alone. Which we all know they answer is no, because then they will ask to see it. and like some said once they have it you have no leverage, So he is better off with they approach he took.

Dean

I was sure this had to be Detroit, Chicago, Baltimore ... Connecticut???

and those saying he should have given in I can't disagree more. What right do they have to harass the guy that isn't breaking any laws. He has balls and those idiots are idiots.

I've seen signs that say "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone"
Legal? or illegal? No idea.

Elfonzo

I would then say I Worship my 2nd amendment rights, so you are not serving me due to my religious beliefs.

That will be $132.000 please, also I would like them in small bills.

Dean

I don't get what the big deal is. If you're open carrying and a cop says can I see your permit? why do you not just show it to him and be on your way?

There is a word for people like you...col·lab·o·ra·tor
kəˈlabəˌrādər/
noun
a person who works jointly on an activity or project; an associate.
"his collaborator on the book"
synonyms: coworker, partner, associate, colleague, confederate; More
a person who cooperates traitorously with an enemy; a defector.
"he was a collaborator during the occupation"

Do you understand anything about freedom?

Subway?http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jan/23/michelle-obama-becomes-newest-face-promote-subway-/

http://ctcarry.com/Document/Download/a034b530-1221-425d-a99f-53af710ff219

Give the guy credit. I'd be afraid of getting shot by police while open carrying in Bridgeport. They could also have arrested him for "Breach Of Peace" for making others feel threatened. The open carry law is "Massachusetts" like down there...

reading this, he could have been subject to arrest for Interfering with an officer, if the elements of that crime are present

I'm surprised they didn't take him in.

Because CT law was specifically written to prevent what those cops are trying to do. It is illegal for them to ask for a permit unless you are committing a crime.

http://ctcarry.com/Document/Download/a034b530-1221-425d-a99f-53af710ff219

Give the guy credit. I'd be afraid of getting shot by police while open carrying in Bridgeport. They could also have arrested him for "Breach Of Peace" for making others feel threatened. The open carry law is "Massachusetts" like down there...

This is very false. While they might do what you saw in the video they specifically never threatened arrest because there are multiple cases in CT already where the police and towns got their asses handed to them for false arrest. In MA you could technically have your permit revoked for an officer seeing you OC and calling it threatening. No such authority exists in CT and the protections against having a permit revoked are numerous and effective.

Example, here is a letter the Hartford police distributed to the officers there explaining exactly what I'm talking about because they don't want the lawsuits that would follow:

http://www.ccdl.us/attachments/100_Memo re Rally on 4-10-10.pdf

Read the 4th bullet point in that document.

I'm not saying CT is a gun rights bastion. I left because of the new AWB. It is however far more protective of the citizens with respect to licensing than MA is.

Last edited:
First dergree deals with explosives. Here is second degree but foes not seem to fit here. a) A person is guilty of breach of the peace in the second degree when, with intent to cause inconvenience, annoyance or alarm, or recklessly creating a risk thereof, such person: (1) Engages in fighting or in violent, tumultuous or threatening behavior in a public place; or (2) assaults or strikes another; or (3) threatens to commit any crime against another person or such other person’s property; or (4) publicly exhibits, distributes, posts up or advertises any offensive, indecent or abusive matter concerning any person; or (5) in a public place, uses abusive or obscene language or makes an obscene gesture; or (6) creates a public and hazardous or physically offensive condition by any act which such person is not licensed or privileged to do. For purposes of this section, “public place” means any area that is used or held out for use by the public whether owned or operated by public or private interests.
(b) Breach of the peace in the second degree is a class B misdemeanor.

Last edited:
Because CT law was specifically written to prevent what those cops are trying to do. It is illegal for them to ask for a permit unless you are committing a crime.

This is very false. While they might do what you saw in the video they specifically never threatened arrest because there are multiple cases in CT already where the police and towns got their asses handed to them for false arrest. In MA you could technically have your permit revoked for an officer seeing you OC and calling it threatening. No such authority exists in CT and the protections against having a permit revoked are numerous and effective.

Example, here is a letter the Hartford police distributed to the officers there explaining exactly what I'm talking about because they don't want the lawsuits that would follow:

http://www.ccdl.us/attachments/100_Memo re Rally on 4-10-10.pdf

Read the 4th bullet point in that document.

I'm not saying CT is a gun rights bastion. I left because of the new AWB. It is however far more protective of the citizens with respect to licensing than MA is.

good to know. The other document made it look like they could arrest for interfering, IF he didn't produce a permit

I have to admit that I replied to this before thoroughly thinking it through. While I don't like looking for confrontation I also don't like letting the police or any other authority think they have more power than they legally do. I also didn't realize how much this has been challenged already and the police put in their place in court, so by now they should all know better than to act like those cops did. Turns out they were the ones challenging the law, not the guy with the gun.

The more I think about it, the more I agree with not showing the permit unless they give an acceptable reason for asking. Them saying "because you are open carrying" is not a reason at all. I still think acting unreasonably doesn't help our fight for our 2A rights but telling the cops that I will be happy to show them my permit when they give me a valid reason for asking me for it is not at all unreasonable and well within our rights.

Others have reminded me that having good faith with gun grabbers doesn't usually help us. They just take the ground given and come looking for more, they don't compromise so we shouldn't either. I stand corrected.

Hardly.... LOl! look I've never had any problems with cops (I have a few real good friends that are cops) , I don't look at them like they are the enemy, most of th etime treat them with respect and act accordingly
and you can avert problems. I don't know what the laws are in CT but
here in Mass if a cop asks to see my permit , I show it to him. I'm not an antagonizer , I've learned in life when dealing with authority figures , being as invisible as possible is always to your advantage.
I've got a great wife and kid, a job I love that I'm good at, a home etc, the last thing I personally need is my "bravado" standing up for my rights when a "here you go" 5 second flash of a card keeps me out of any
nonsense with a cop that could be a "dick" and basically ends it right there.

A "defector" .... LOL! good one

There is a word for people like you...col·lab·o·ra·tor
kəˈlabəˌrādər/
noun
a person who works jointly on an activity or project; an associate.
"his collaborator on the book"
synonyms: coworker, partner, associate, colleague, confederate; More
a person who cooperates traitorously with an enemy; a defector.
"he was a collaborator during the occupation"

Do you understand anything about freedom?

Subway?http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jan/23/michelle-obama-becomes-newest-face-promote-subway-/

Hardly.... LOl! look I've never had any problems with cops (I have a few real good friends that are cops) , I don't look at them like they are the enemy, most of th etime treat them with respect and act accordingly
and you can avert problems. I don't know what the laws are in CT but
here in Mass if a cop asks to see my permit , I show it to him. I'm not an antagonizer , I've learned in life when dealing with authority figures , being as invisible as possible is always to your advantage.
I've got a great wife and kid, a job I love that I'm good at, a home etc, the last thing I personally need is my "bravado" standing up for my rights when a "here you go" 5 second flash of a card keeps me out of any
nonsense with a cop that could be a "dick" and basically ends it right there.

A "defector" .... LOL! good one

You just don't get it, do you. either you support freedom or you don't and by your comments I think we all understand what side you come down on.

He could have turned the tables and asked the cop to see his drivers licence, credit cards etc

the last thing I personally need is my "bravado" standing up for my rights

If you don't stand up for your rights then who will? I don't think it is "bravado" to stand up for your rights. I think it is your duty and obligation to do so as an American. I don't know where I read it before but "a right not exercised is a right lost."

Back
Top Bottom