Obtaining your gun license

Hi All
First post here.
I have my class A license and guns and all that. I am asking about my young sons, ages 21 and 25.
My 25 year old is living in Watertown now. He just moved there from an apartment in Brighton.
I had him hold off on getting a gun license in Brighton as I figured the chances of him getting one, especially the CCW, would be low.
What do you all think about him moving forward with getting his license now while he's in Watertown and in another apartment?
Do younger gun applicants get denied concealed carry more often than not?
I'm eager to have himself armed at his apartment but also with the option of concealed carry.
As I understand it the license issues varies from town to town.

Yeah as said before Watertown sucks for ltc's. Where does the 21 year old live? That might be better . Joking.
Watertown is rough

Hi All
First post here.
I have my class A license and guns and all that. I am asking about my young sons, ages 21 and 25.
My 25 year old is living in Watertown now. He just moved there from an apartment in Brighton.
I had him hold off on getting a gun license in Brighton as I figured the chances of him getting one, especially the CCW, would be low.
What do you all think about him moving forward with getting his license now while he's in Watertown and in another apartment?
Do younger gun applicants get denied concealed carry more often than not?
I'm eager to have himself armed at his apartment but also with the option of concealed carry.
As I understand it the license issues varies from town to town.
I'll be the Devil's Advocate...

Move Heaven and Earth to get him licensed (in any form) in any town he is living in Right Now.
~Enbloc

My 21 has an apartment at U-Mass Amherst as he's a junior there. I don't want him with a gun yet, lol.
My older son was talking to a co-worker yesterday and he told her about recently moving to Watertown. She told him a great place to live, safe, local shops and restaurants and all, but a lot of Republicans. My son secretly smiled. So it sucks to hear you all red flagging it.
In general, is it harder for a 20-something to get a LTC than an older adult?

Life experience and maturity level are assumed to come with... age.

While not always true. Cops like older guys to have the guns, if any guns are to be had...

YMMV

My 21 has an apartment at U-Mass Amherst as he's a junior there. I don't want him with a gun yet, lol.
My older son was talking to a co-worker yesterday and he told her about recently moving to Watertown. She told him a great place to live, safe, local shops and restaurants and all, but a lot of Republicans. My son secretly smiled. So it sucks to hear you all red flagging it.

He will get a LTC. But some towns restrict 95%. Some 0%. Some 50%. Is you are looking at a town that has a large restriction percentage if someone is younger they would probably get restricted. A "green" town probably not restricted

Either way might want the LTC now to purchase things that may be more expensive/impossible to get in the future

Last edited:
He will get a LTC. But some towns restrict 95%. Some 0%. Some 50%. Is you are looking at a town that has a last restriction percentage is someone is younger they would probably get restricted. A "green" town probably not restricted

Either way might want the LTC now to purchase things that may be more expensive/impossible to get in the future
Good point. Even restricted he could buy alot of stuff to hold until he moves.

I never thought about percentage of LTC's in a town. Good point.
I'm in Holliston and I legally carry.
Does an LTC allow extra purchases? Or are you meaning any level gun license?

No, it isn't if the cop isn't a total fag drunk on power.

As long as he is the required age for the gun license he wants, a green town would give it to him.

There are a couple of NES members in Watertown with LTC. Maybe they will see this thread. I forget their user names.

It depends on the town.

Haverhill....where I live.....has a simple policy......if you qualify you qualify.....if you don't you dont. Meaning if your not a fed prohibited person you'll get an ltc no questions asked. And they process them fast......6 to 7 weeks from interview to license in hand.

As others have said......Watertown sucks. If he really wants an ltc tell him to move to a green town.

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/gun-ownership-in-massachusetts#firearms-license-class-categories-

Firearms license class categories​

There are different types of licenses based on the type of firearms to be possessed:
  • License to Carry (LTC): Permits the purchase, possession, transportation, and carrying of all large- and non-large-capacity handguns, rifles, shotguns, and feeding devices, as well as ammunition. This is the only license that allows the carrying of concealed handguns-either loaded or unloaded.
  • Firearms Identification Card (FID): Permits the purchase, possession, and transportation of non-large-capacity rifles, shotguns, and ammunition.
A large-capacity firearm is defined as a semi-automatic handgun or rifle that is capable of accepting more than ten rounds, OR is a semi-automatic shotgun capable of accepting more than five shotgun shells, OR is an assault weapon. A rifle with a fixed tubular magazine designed to accept, and capable of operating only with, .22 caliber ammunition is not a large-capacity firearm.

I never thought about percentage of LTC's in a town. Good point.
I'm in Holliston and I legally carry.
Does an LTC allow extra purchases? Or are you meaning any level gun license?
Unrestricted and restricted LTC make no difference on purchase.

Its only LTC v FID that makes a difference.

No, it isn't if the cop isn't a total fag drunk on power.

As long as he is the required age for the gun license he wants, a green town would give it to him.

There are a couple of NES members in Watertown with LTC. Maybe they will see this thread. I forget their user names.
Dude your avatars are great lately. I'm honored

Good point. Even restricted he could buy alot of stuff to hold until he moves.
Not enough, the license and restrictions don't change until the LTC expires AND he lives in a better town.

I do not know if anything has changed in Watertown lately (Comm2A should know), but there is a former member of NES who is a retired police officer from another state that could NOT get an unrestricted LTC from Watertown! He carried under LEOSA and went back to his prior state each year for the LEOSA qualification.

Not enough, the license and restrictions don't change until the LTC expires AND he lives in a better town.

I do not know if anything has changed in Watertown lately (Comm2A should know), but there is a former member of NES who is a retired police officer from another state that could NOT get an unrestricted LTC from Watertown! He carried under LEOSA and went back to his prior state each year for the LEOSA qualification.
I agree but for alot of people on red Town just hope to get anything sad as it is

I and two of my friends in our 20s all got unrestricted LTCs at the first time of applying.

He will get a LTC. But some towns restrict 95%. Some 0%. Some 50%. Is you are looking at a town that has a large restriction percentage if someone is younger they would probably get restricted. A "green" town probably not restricted

No town approached 95% restricted. Brookline is about 2/3 restricted.

But, that is not good news. It just means that the LTCs held by police, retired police, important people, friends of important people, etc. are enough to make up about 1/3 of the licenses especially when the department uses any possible excuse to deny those not connected any LTC at all. But, "95% of unconnected, unimportant, and non-LEOs get restricted" would probably be accurate.

Yeah as said before Watertown sucks for ltc's. Where does the 21 year old live? That might be better . Joking.
Watertown is rough

Watertown is moving upscale rather quickly. I haven't been there in a couple of months, but over the last 3-4 years it's been non stop building and remodeling of residential properties. It's following the trends of Belmont and Cambridge and soon will be a very pricey town.

Watertown is moving upscale rather quickly. I haven't been there in a couple of months, but over the last 3-4 years it's been non stop building and remodeling of residential properties. It's following the trends of Belmont and Cambridge and soon will be a very pricey town.
So I guess the Galway Bay is no longer in Watertown square.

So I guess the Galway Bay is no longer in Watertown square.
Never heard of the place, but...
munchkin-coroner.jpg

...it looks to me like the most Irish thing on the block
is now O'Reilly's Auto Body. The oldest Google Street View images
show the pub's old building with the signs already ripped off the frames.

Back
Top Bottom