• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Obtaining an LTC using "place of business" address.

Has anyone ever successfully taken this route to obtain an LTC?

Know of anyone that has even attempted it?

From the M.G.L.

"(d) Any person residing or having a place of business within the jurisdiction of the licensing authority or any person residing in an area of exclusive federal jurisdiction located within a city or town may submit to such licensing authority or the colonel of state police, an application for a Class A or Class B license to carry firearms, or renewal of the same, which such licensing authority or said colonel may issue if it appears that the applicant is a suitable person to be issued such license, and that the applicant has good reason to fear injury to his person or property, or for any other reason, including the carrying of firearms for use in sport or target practice only, subject to such restrictions expressed or authorized under this section, unless the applicant:"...

Last edited:
A not unrealistic interpretation, as you don't HAVE a place of business if you don't ownlease it. You merely work for that owner/lessee.

That said, I obtained an LTC in Chelsea for a business OWNER who was denied a Class A in Waltham.

One of our students doesn't live in Haverhill, but has his business here. He was able to get a license from the PD. I've heard of others, however, where the place of business Chief didn't want to issue one if the Chief where the person lives didn't issue one. I guess it's a hit or miss situation. I assume it's because the PofB chief doesn't want to step on the other's toes. Have you found that to be the case Keith and Darius??

What Scrivener said . . .

PLUS, I know that many chiefs will REFUSE to accept an application (or otherwise deny) from anyone who owns a business in their town, but doesn't live there. Their answer is "get it where you live" and "if your own chief won't trust you with a LTC-A/ALP, why should I over-ride them?"! [Yes, even if chief in your town as a matter of policy won't issue LTC-A/ALP, thus nothing to do with the person making the request.]

The law allows for it, but since the chief has discretion on who or if, they most often exercise it here and make it difficult/impossible in actual practice.

This is a case where I'd advise a face-to-face honest discussion with the chief in the town where I OWNED my own business. If the chief indicated that he wouldn't issue and you still wanted to pursue it, bring an attorney with you for filing the application! Attorney might make the outcome different if chief is reluctant to issue.

Back
Top Bottom