Obtaining a LTC/FID in Brookline, MA

Brookline is perhaps the worst department in the state as far as firearms licensing goes, and will use ANY excuse they can find to deny you even a restricted LTC. As for unrestricted - expect to need the same level of connection or power you would need to get one in NYC.

You will have to take the range test at the Moon Island Boston Police range. Your LTC will be restricted.

Brookline is perhaps the worst department in the state as far as firearms licensing goes, and will use ANY excuse they can find to deny you even a restricted LTC. As for unrestricted - expect to need the same level of connection or power you would need to get one in NYC.

Well, they're not B-rammers, are they?

if you have a Class A LTC...

you don't need a FID card. If you already have a FID card, your LTC-A or LTC-B would be the valid credential.

yup. I have friends who live in Chestnut hill; business owners, father & son.
They've both had LTCA forever in Brookline. Every renewal, they have to go through the same process as the original application; the son told me he reapplies 7 months before the expiration date, just to give him the time to complete the process.

You will have to take the range test at the Moon Island Boston Police range. Your LTC will be restricted.
I know they accept a range test wittnessed by any NRA instructor (at least for renewals). I've seen the paperwork, and signed it for a club member whose renewal for an LTC-A/restricted went through smoothly.

You will have to take the range test at the Moon Island Boston Police range. Your LTC will be restricted.[/QUOTE]

You only lose when you stop trying!!!

Find out who you need to know, what you need to say etc etc
Figure it all out before you go in!

You only lose when you stop trying!!!

Find out who you need to know, what you need to say etc etc
Figure it all out before you go in!
This is Brookline. Talking a good line just isn't going to get you an unrestricted LTC. Unless you can change your parentage retroactively and become the Chief's brother, you're screwed.

This is Brookline. Talking a good line just isn't going to get you an unrestricted LTC. Unless you can change your parentage retroactively and become the Chief's brother, you're screwed.

Think outside the box!! Sleep with his sister[grin] In-laws must have the same perks.

Did you have to do anything special in order to get the LTC? Write a letter, etc.

Romanempire22....did you end up getting the Class A? Unrestricted? I'm going through the process right now in Brookline and kinda anxious about it due to the recent shootings. Would you recommend consulting a lawyer first? Has anyone else dealt with Brookline?

I'm a 30yr old with a clean record and nothing against me. I've taken the Class A course with live fire at Boston Firearms and plan to do the Moon Island test with them too. Any tips would be appreciated! The Brookline PD website is vague regarding applications and I'd like to have more info before I present myself to them...there's not much online aside from the typical, 'Brookline sucks'. I can settle for a Class A restricted...but, a Class B would ruin my day!

Thanks!

Has anyone gone through the process of obtaining a Class A LTC and a FID Card in Brookline, MA? Please help.

I think HarveyPaul and I are the best informed on this right now since we both JUST went through this process for LTC-A.

You need several things:
  • Letter to chief describing your reasons or NEED (in the case of unrestricted)
  • 2 letters of reference (non family, non politician)
  • Take the moon island test (can be administered by any state certified instructor)
  • letter of intent from a range/club
  • Proof of passing a course

Until very recently, the LO worked 3rd shift, so you had to do your interview before 9am. They have an idiot intern that doesn't know anything but answers the phone sometimes. I was able to get my license in a little over 40 days. I was told I would absolutely not get an unrestricted license, so I was given target & hunting. If you have any other questions, ask them here or pm me and I'll try to help you.

I think HarveyPaul and I are the best informed on this right now since we both JUST went through this process for LTC-A.

Thanks for the help!

A few questions:

- Regarding the letter of reference.....is it your recommendation not to have a politician give a rec or does the PD ask this? I have a very good friend that I've known all my life who is a MA state rep and usually offers rec to me for things like these.

- Do you interview with the Chief? What does he typically ask?

Thanks!

I'm not sure if it is actually a rule no politicians, but I don't know if it'll actually help in this case. I had 2 of my friends who have served in the military recommend me. No you don't interview with the chief, you interview with the Licensing Officer. It was Lt. Cullinane, but I believe as of last week, it's his replacement, so I'm not sure what hours they're available and if they're also 3rd shift.

Edit:

Once you get your license, we should go shooting. Any idea what range you'll join yet?

Once you get your license, we should go shooting. Any idea what range you'll join yet?

Sure, I'll report back with good news (I hope!). I'll be joining a club in my hometown (Somerset), but I'm also thinking of joining a new range in Boston run by the guy I took the LTC class with (BostonFirearms). Though, I haven't really looked into it much yet. Gonna get this all together first thing after Christmas...

Back
Top Bottom