1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Obsolete Man Skills

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Knicks, Jan 20, 2019.

1. blindfire

blindfire NES Member

2. blindfire

blindfire NES Member

In all seriousness though, some enterprising male could clean up by offering classes in a lot of these things.

Think of the weekend classes that Home Depot offers, but target it to the shit on that ridiculous list.

Bob P likes this.
  3. connor

connor

Yup.

4. AHM

AHM NES Member

[​IMG]

Rob Boudrie and mwalsh9152 like this.
  5. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

Please tell me we're not talking about a building on the site of what was once an ancient gymnasium, on the campus of an engineering school university in a decrepit central Massachusetts city, with a key architectural "feature" bearing an uncomfortable resemblance to a similar feature in:

6. connor

connor

They were tearing it down when I showed up but yeah that would be the one. They kept the creepy sports gargoyles though.

7. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

So I saw.

8. connor

connor

[​IMG]

9. Brewer

Brewer NES Life Member NES Member

Another out there, not even a year ago. Friend told me about her father with a raging sweet tooth who was always asking his wife and daughter to bake him things. One day he decided to bake some cookies for himself. The only three steps were add X amount water, bake at Y temp, and for Z minutes. He got all three numbers wrong and ruined the cookies. One might think he screwed it up on purpose to prove he needed someone else to bake for him, but one conversation with this guy makes me think he just wasn't capable of following the simplest recipe on God's green Earth.

10. Scott7980

Scott7980 NES Member

None of these are man or woman skills, anyone that sits there and says I can’t cook my super, or I cannot do laundry, is just a lazy slob who goes through life making excuses on why they can’t get this job done without help.

11. mrmike7189

mrmike7189

I had a friend who got married at 18 and divorced at 35. He invited over to his his new apartment and could not make himself coffee. His wife did everything for him, cooked, did laundry, dishes, made his coffee etc. The poor guy was helpless, I tried to help him be more "independant", but he just found a new wife quickly before he starved to death! LOL

12. JJ4

JJ4 NES Member

"Good enough, lets hang a mirror or picture there"

cockpitbob likes this.
  13. FiremanBob

FiremanBob NES Member

He must be good at something to have found a new sandwich maker so quickly.

mrmike7189 likes this.
  14. Maddawg1952

Maddawg1952 NES Member

<------ I guess I now have to identify as a 3 legged stool {or a 2 long and 1 short legged fool) As I drive a pick-up, have a few firearms, and have more than my share of power tools.

15. Uzi2

Uzi2 NES Member

I've known how to sew since I was about 8yrs old. One of my sisters taught me how to use a top of the line Singer Sewing machine.
    I mended all my own clothing through my teens and still have no reservations about sitting down at a sewing machine to fix or make something of interest.

Also fix all my own appliances, vehicles, tools, do my own electrical wiring, plumbing, built my own house, my barn, most of my guns, I grow alot of my own food, can preserve it too, cut all of my own wood for the stoves, hunt, fish, can butcher an animal, cut and bale my own hay, doctor my dogs, reload much of my own ammo, weld, fabricate different things out of steel, built 80% of my furniture, can cook for myself or 50 people, can roof a house, fix and/or program most radios, dig a well, grade a road.
    Can also change diapers, give first aid or possibly greater if needed, navigate efficiently, figure out how to do things with minimal/simple tools, set up a defensive perimeter, fire artillery, direct an air strike, lay hardwood floors and carpet, replace a window or door.

Lots of skills that most others pay for I have learned to do myself with great results and satisfaction.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  16. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”

― Robert A. Heinlein

AHM, Woodstock, teaser452 and 5 others like this.
  17. mibro

mibro NES Member

Excellent.

Yesterday I programmed a new transponder key for my wife's Sequoia and my 33" mower received a new fuel filter and magneto. Now if I just hadn't left it outside all winter....

Uzi2 likes this.
  18. whalerman69

whalerman69 NES Member

Just fillteting five beautiful black sea bass. Also a must have skill....

mibro, DitchDigger and Uzi2 like this.
  19. Coyote33

Coyote33

That would fall under "Take care of the things you own, especially the expensive ones.".

20. Cap'n Mike

Cap'n Mike NES Member

A women wrote that maybe? but either way that article wasn't written by a man.

21. jct61765

jct61765 NES Member

When my grandmother passed my grandfather was helpless. She always did everything for him. He didn't know how to cook. He couldn't balance a checkbook. He couldn't even cut his own toenails. She had been the love of his life. She certainly kept the family together. After she passed our family fell apart.

22. Roof gunner

Roof gunner

I can’t wait to see another pussy mopping the floor commercial or a dude dancing behind his lawnmower commercial !

23. mibro

mibro NES Member

True, except I picked it up nine years ago for $300 from someone with no man skills. I kept a copy of the Craig's List ad - see below. It did not need a new motor or new anything.

"Troybilt 33 inch deck, wide cut, mower. Forward and reverse with bag. Briggs and Stratton 9.0 motor. Not running and I have no idea what's wrong with it. Already bought another mower and this one is taking up space in my garage. Worse case is that it needs a new motor, which will cost a couple hundred dollars. Paid $1600 for this and just want it gone. Other than problems with the motor it's in mint condition. Great for someone who knows about small engines or for someone willing to have it serviced/fixed. It's a steal for $300. You have to pick it up as I do not own a truck. Serious inquiries only."

24. Uzi2

Uzi2 NES Member

I know a couple of older guys like that, and no offense but I cannot for the life of me figure out how any man of reasonable intelligence can remain so willfully ignorant of day to day survival skills. I mean really!
    Being totally dependent( not even co dependent) on someone like that is not a healthy way to live life.

The guys I know lost their wives and they didn't even know how to throw a load of laundry in a washing machine and turn it on or heat up a can of soup. That in my eyes is beyond ridiculous.

25. jct61765

jct61765 NES Member

Different times I guess. This was in the 80s. My grandmother died in 1981. She was truly the rock of the family. That was their lives. They were married in the early 1940s. My grandfather worked and took care of the house. My grandmother did everything else. Looking back it was kind of sad. He was so helpless. My mother paid his bills and took care of his money until the day he died.

26. Coyote33

Coyote33

No, same times. My mother in law passed about 3 years ago. My father in law eats at our house every night. He gets a meal on wheels at brunch, and makes himself coffee. One thing he DOES know how to do is laundry, thank goodness.

27. Uzi2

Uzi2 NES Member

Like I said, no offense but who looked after that "everything else" when grandmother was sick? If my wife gets sick and is unable to do things, everything she normally does still gets done by me along with everything I do.
    It is one thing to not to have to do certain household things on a regular basis, but its another to not even know how to do simple basic day to day living chores.

28. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

You know what I've noticed over the last couple of years?? Most mans don't have no man-skills anyhoo.

My dad didn't have many man-skills. It made me want to get some. Even simple stuff. Things my wife hands me that are "impossible." "Oh, wait, I've got the solution for that. . . bing bang boom . . . fixed!"

But guys older than me - 60-70. Zero man skills. Guys that SEEM to possess man-skills. Nope. They fake it. Fake it all. Have no idea. I mean, I try and know SOMETHING about a s-ton of things so I don't look like a 50yo moron. These guys are just saying words. Its like talking to a 16yo about a weekend of drinking. They've never done it before but they think if they talk long enough they can make YOU believe they are an expert at it.

I don't consider myself man-skilled at all, but based on my research I'm clearly above average.

29. Scott7980

Scott7980 NES Member

I can match my shoes with my outfit that’s manly

30. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

Today that isn't hard. It's like, mega easy.

Today's trend is - whatever pants you are wearing, wear a shade of brown shoe.

I'll be damned that 30 years ago, I was the only schlub with brown shoes. There was one guy that was older who would wear brown shoes with a charcoal suit. That was it. (I can't wear brown and charcoal. Too strange for me.)

Today, everyone is wearing brown with everything BUT black pants/jeans/trousers/slacks. So strange. Shoes just STICK out like they are on wimmins or something.