1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Obsolete Man Skills

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Knicks, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Chris

Chris NES Member

Just east of Zone 9, but in Worcester County.
    So...

The kids started reading the Foxfire series...

So proud of them.

namedpipes, Cowgirlup and cockpitbob like this.

2. Arto

Arto NES Member

milktree likes this.
  3. AHM

AHM NES Member

Don't knock it until you've tried it.

4. milktree

milktree NES Member

I don't see the problem here. If my tenants damage stuff beyond normal wear and tear, I'd expect to charge them for it. This is generally what the security deposit is for. (yes, I know in MA that's tricky and out of fashion, but that's not the point.)

If I were a commercial landlord and the lease included cleaning of the toilets, I'd absolutely charge the tenants if the bathrooms were constantly smeared with shit.

Are there more details to the story that make this policy objectionable?

5. FiremanBob

FiremanBob NES Member

Let's doxx the emasculated cuck who wrote that and give him a wedgie and a pinkbelly.

6. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

7. J.A.C

J.A.C NES Member

Yeah whenever something in my house needs fixing, like a dishwasher or outside AC unit I just say F it, I am a man, and start decorating the guest room.

Jason Flare, TLB, mwalsh9152 and 2 others like this.
  8. JimF

JimF

Thanks for the warning, now I won't bother to click on the link.

McReef likes this.
  9. warpig

warpig

sprayed coffee all over my desk at that one! sandy!?!?!?

10. warpig

warpig

I do, and I taught my 18 year old daughter to. No idea if that shows up as a skill on the woman's survey.

RHJJ likes this.
  11. Hetzer

Hetzer NES Member

Exactly, how is a woman, who identifies as a man, supposed to use one of those without pissing all over his miniskirt.

jpk likes this.
  12. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

Fashioning your own buggy whip - definitely an obsolete skill. Unless your boyfriend likes it rough, of course.

13. Scott7980

Scott7980 NES Member

My mother taught me how to cook, clean , sew, laundry, but she aaid it was because “I wasn’t put on this earth to be your maid”

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    pastera, cockpitbob and dingbat like this.
  14. cockpitbob

cockpitbob NES Member

You'll be pleased to know Boy Scouts hasn't changed much in 40 years(really). My kids finished with Boy Scouts 3 years ago. Except for the tents, boots and rain gear being more waterproof, it's the same. They still go on real campouts, make fires, carry knives, swing axes, eat their own awful cooking (Though I learned adding Sprite to bbq sauce does make it better.), camp in the cold and rain, etc. They still have merit badges for riflery, shotgunning, archery, fishing, survival (spend night in shelter you made), hiking, etc. The kids also gain more leadership skills than they are aware of. The only thing noticeably different is adults have to use the buddy system and never be alone with a kid (Protects adults from false accusations as much as kits from molestation.).

For me the jury is still out on allowing girls in. The most recent thing I read from the BSA sounded like once the kids are close to puberty (advance from Cub Scouts to Boy Scouts) they will have girl troops and boy troops, not co-ed troops. The scout master I talked with last year is hard core, old school, but he didn't seem to concerned.

JJ4 and milktree like this.
  15. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

16. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

Don't forget a good swirly too.

17. kalash

kalash

I once had a roommate who didn't know how to add windshield washer fluid or how to change a light bulb in his room. True story. He was ~22yo at the time.

18. boiler_eng

boiler_eng

Some people never learn the stuff and get a bad example from their parents. Buddy has parents who must have a money tree somewhere because they contracted everything out. House Cleaners, Meals, Maintenance, Yardwork, etc. Once he got a new office chair and I drove over because they had 0 tools and he didn't know how to put it together.

He has told me he wished he knew how to do a bunch of stuff that I do, I stopped pointing out to him that it was all blindingly simple things. You have a professional job and wish you knew how to use a hammer? Uh, you have the means to go to the store, buy a box of nails and a board, and then watch youtube and nail the two boards together.

It is 100% apathy though. My mother tried to teach me how to spackle holes and I always ended up doing a barely passable job. Cracks and holes in my house, you would have a hard time finding the old ones (hahaha old house, always has new cracks) because I took the effort to try to blend it all naturally. Of course then my wife had me prime the patches, I DGAF, and she points out the stripes of primer where the paint now looks different.

19. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

How many years ago? Was YouTube a Thing yet?

20. FiremanBob

FiremanBob NES Member

21. kalash

kalash

Yes and no. I don't know basic electrical and wish I did but it's not something I can just experiment with at home.

YouTube was a thing. This was maybe 5 years ago?

22. boiler_eng

boiler_eng

Yeah I was talking about some bottom of the barrel stuff, the "can you fight your way out of a paper bag" level. Electrical, I am a bit more wary though something like switching out a light fixture isn't on the same level as moving outlets so there is a spectrum.

23. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

The "man skill" is being able to patch a large hole in drywall and have the fix be undetectable.

24. rep308

rep308 NES Member

I had a roommate who couldn't cook for himself and ate out every night. I suggested he buy a box of mac and cheese because who can screw that up. He boiled the water, poured in the macaroni and then dumped the powdered cheese powder right into the boiling water. They are out there people, and this was 30 years ago.

mrmike7189 and Brewer like this.
  25. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 NES Member

Though I can, and have literally built entire vehicles from the ground up, custom fitting things that aren't supposed to go there in......I'm a ham fisted moron when it comes to carpentry. My parents were both journeymen union carpenters in Boston, and the genre obviouslydidnt make it through. My dad just makes fun of any building project I attempt.

26. AHM

AHM NES Member

[​IMG]

27. eboos

eboos

28. connor

connor

It's called a starter wrench and they've been around forever, just saying. Starters have always been a PITA to access on a lot of cars.

True story- I live in a brand new dorm at college in MA, and the dorm (and class building below it) does not have a single urinal. I do a double take every time I walk into a bathroom, and I've lived here for months.

I'm willing to bet it was a political thing, but seeing as the fire alarm system kept malfunctioning and sending the entire building out into the rain at midnight, the lighting system has been reprogramed multiple times, the elevator gets stuck on the second floor (the elevator has no doors on the second floor, but had a button and pushing said button would strand you on floor 2. The school fixed it by removing the button and leaving an empty space) and the architects or builders forgot water fountains (all this and it only cost us 50 million) it could also just be a gross oversight.

29. JackOfAllTrades

JackOfAllTrades

Think how proud they will be the day you finally manage to weld those two boards together...

jpk, Brewer and mwalsh9152 like this.
  30. JackOfAllTrades

JackOfAllTrades

Foisie/Messenger?