1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Obsolete Man Skills

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Knicks, Jan 20, 2019.

1. milktree

milktree NES Member

2. dingbat

dingbat

Not that I don't agree with the point you are making, but if you do care to work on your own HVAC, the EPA 608 certification can be had for $100 or less. That includes study materials and the proctored test. MVAC can be had for $20 and that's open book online.

Eta: IIrc, you only need the certification for repairs that involve the potential to release refrigerant in to the atmosphere and to purchase and handle refrigerant.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  3. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

Every time I fix something I tell my wife "one more thing you need to add to the list to learn if I go before you do". I think the list is longer than she can imagine.
    Especially if you call it tailoring.

scatter and milktree like this.
  4. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

Rob, women may not work that way. They replace us with another upgraded model. ;)

dingbat likes this.
  5. grey

grey

If I didnt repair and maintain as much as I could myself, I wouldn't be able to afford anything besides a loft condo near a t stop and dream of maybe calling an uber for a weekend outing. Is this why some feel the middle class is getting "hammered "? Because they want to pay to have others do everything for them but dont have the bank account to handle it?

Then there's that

10thSFFD likes this.
  6. jpk

jpk

Dont worry.....the dems will introduce a bill before long to ban urinals

Hetzer likes this.
  7. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 NES Member

I cut trees with a chainsaw, and then split them with an axe or log splitter so I can heat my house with a wood stove. Should I take up knitting instead?

Sparkey likes this.
  8. boiler_eng

boiler_eng

Who said it's either or? Knit yourself a splitting sweater?

5811 likes this.
  9. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

She needs to know she should not replace me with someone who considers man skills outdated.

Man skills come in handy when someone puts too many carrot peels down the disposal with too little water and the trap cleanout plug need to be removed for some snaking. Saved a few hundred, plus a long wait while guests were waiting 4 dinner.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    pastera likes this.
  10. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

No! Go to your parents or create Go-F-Me page and get a down payment for one of those slick condos in the Seaport District. Those come with slick appliances, 24 hours security, heat & utilities included. You will need a second income to cover your condo fee but no more chainsaw, axe or other potentially lethal tools. You'll be sipping frappuccinos while looking for a parking space!

AHM likes this.
  11. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

12. pastera

pastera

When you are the only guy in your basic training platoon who can sew on a loose button it is amazing how attitudes change the closer to inspection time it is.
    What is even better is when the same guy who was calling you a faggot complains to the drill that you want $20 a button from him and he is told "if he's a faggot maybe you should b... him for it instead"

13. mrmike7189

mrmike7189

I had to change a flat last month and I did it myself goddammit! it felt good to be a real man! I could have called AAA like every girl does, but no

RHJJ likes this.
  14. Zappa

Zappa Road Warrior NES Member

This^

Remember, you can't do awesome custom upholstery without highly advanced sewing skills:

[​IMG]

15. browncoat

browncoat

I'm under 30, and obviously askmen.com has lost their man card...

16. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

Just be sure you don't stuff the upholstery with horse manure.

17. browncoat

browncoat

Canadians truly are subjects of the Crown

18. cockpitbob

cockpitbob NES Member

Yup.
    In the 1970s and 80s when good camping gear was really expensive, there was a company called Frostline Kits that made kits for sewing your own camping gear: rain gear, down sleeping bags, down vests and jackets, big and small backpacks, etc. Because of them there's a narrow age range of outdoorsmen that know how to sew. I made a large day pack, a down vest, rain chaps and a bunch of stuff sacks. I wouldn't have been able to do the day pack except my dad had an old sewing machine that was strong enough to go through 3 layers of cordura, 1 layer of leather and 1 layer of shoulder strap. He used that machine in the 1940s to sew a new top for his convertible!

ETA: I still have the day pack, but think I'll toss it. After almost 40 years the waterproofing film on the inside of the cordura nylon is peeling like a sun burn.

Choctaw and Arto like this.
  19. BaldAssCat

BaldAssCat NES Member

Smoke color and the location of the ticking are still vital tools for troubleshooting, but not the only tools. They'll point you in the right direction but you still can't be sure it's a worn exhaust valve on cylinder 3 without doing a compression check and pulling the valve cover. Use all the tools you have available to pinpoint the problem before you start replacing parts.

My wife's car had the check engine light on and the code came up as low oil pressure. I didn't blindly replace the oil pump because that's what the code said. I double checked the oil pressure with a gauge and found it was really fine and it was the sender that needed replacing. No guessing at what it was because I verified the problem before buying parts. The code told me which system to check.

Another time I had a code for an O2 sensor, which could be a lot of things. My code reader doesn't have that level of detail so I asked the shop up the street t check and the saw wire 2 on upstream bank 1 was <5v. I replaced the sensor knowing that was the problem. In the good old days I would have found out this was bad at an inspection when I got a rejection sticker.

20. Grendizer138

Grendizer138 NES Member

072E8F44-A836-4D2B-AC10-3671F5F6B513.gif

fshalor, AHM and Zappa like this.
  21. Cowgirlup

Cowgirlup NES Member

10thSFFD likes this.
  22. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

I felt guilty when my kid had a flat in our driveway and I did not change it. I let AAA do it since she did not to leave right away, and it was cold out. I did get a nice lecture from the AAA service guy about how high quality the Chicago Pneumatic (Harbor Freight) impact air wrench he used was. Technically speaking, the pancake compressor he was using did not even put out enough SCFM to drive that wrench, but it did the job.

Real men keep a bottle jack and two 4 point lug wrenches (metric and SAE) as well as a set of 4 gauge jumper cables in their truck. I lent one of my 4 pointers to a guy changing a tire in a supermarket parking lot and he didn't even know the proper sequence for tightening bolts (he did a straight sequential tightening). I should have asked for his man card.

Coyote33 likes this.
  23. AHM

AHM NES Member

Taylor Made EcoBlast™ Rechargeable Signal Air Horn

[​IMG]

Two good incomes.
    Two anesthesiology salaries aren't nearly enough to pay for a crack 24 hour security force.

[​IMG]

24. scatter

scatter NES Member

Dammit Rob. Now I have to go get a metric 4 pointer so I can keep being a real man, even though I checked the box on everything else. Bought my SAE 4-point back in the 80's. Now almost everything is metric.

Have you ever tried using that 45 degree "lug wrench", the kind that comes with new cars, in the snow or rain? I'm guessing you haven't, since you've got the good stuff. But good god, the accountants must be sitting there smugly while the field testers scream and pull their hair out.

10thSFFD likes this.
  25. Dadstoys

Dadstoys NES Member

Works for me.,
    I get calls to do stuff that in my Grandfather's time you would be shamed for having someone else do.
    More money in my pocket .
    I had to drive 20 miles to pick up a dead mouse in a trap in an office of around 50 people , 30 or so of which were male (Notice I didn't say men.)
    I said in my outdoor voice to the gal I was dealing with "It's a shame you don't have any men working here , would have saved me a trip."

boiler_eng and Palladin like this.
  26. boiler_eng

boiler_eng

I have a buddy who got a flat, says he doesn't know how to change it. We get out telling him no problem we will walk him through it. Donut, check! Jack, check! Wrench .... His father took it out while cleaning and never put it back??? No problem he has roadside assistance. Hour later guy in a hatchback with a jack and a wrench rolls up and does the swap.

A couple weeks after we are in a store and I point to a 4 way wrench and ask if he found his or does he want to buy one. Nope, roadside assistance is fine. Has blown 2 more tires since then. Still doesn't see the problem.

Choctaw likes this.
  27. beaker

beaker NES Member

This is all well and good till a Man, who has those skills shows up, and your woman leaves you because she wants a Man, not a new bff to cry with when watching a date movie with her.

28. grey

grey

Other way around, or so I've observed. Mate with the real man, divorce or breakup, steal the house and get court-ordered checks in the mail. Then find a wimp she can tell what to do and when

29. Waher

Waher NES Member

Germany lead the way on that, or may it's the UK which has case law where office tenants can be charged for 'excessive' damages around toilets. It was a story awhile ago.

30. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

No, and I haven't tried to construct a mneomic memory circuit with stone knives and bearskins either. Both make equal sense.

AHM likes this.