Obsolete Man Skills

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Same with doctors. The racket to limit the number of medical schools and residency slots is creating an artificial doctor shortage.
It's worse with doctors because there isn't a shortage of med students but definitely a shortage of residency slots for doctors in hospitals.... all of that shit is by design of course because AMA or whoever....

boiler_eng

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The worst cases of people who reject man skills that I have seen are not good for anything.

As a millennial I don't really care about people living up to a specific role or having a specific skill. However you have to be useful and skilled.

Like if a guy is a pediatric nurse, badass at cheering kids up and minimizing fear when they are in the hospital that's cool. Maybe he is married to a general contractor who takes care of all home repairs. Historical masculinity of stuff isn't a big deal.

However if the guy is a man baby who can't do anything himself, that's worthy of derision. Can't cook. Is a victim of their emotional fragility. Leans on "building consensus" as they have nothing original to add to the conversation.

Half the skills they listed as alternative new skills I think every man should have in his tool belt already.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is pointing out to a guy that he is wearing the same clothes as my wife, as my wife is laughing at him, a man skill? Remember to cuff the pants [rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl]

mwalsh9152

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I failed at my man skills yesterday, shortly after reading this thread.

Have a dripping faucet in the bathroom, so I disassembled and went and got the replacement cartridge. Now it drips even more! First time attempting this repair, didnt know of the spring & seat. Decided it was easier to shut the hot water down for the night to watch the Pat's game.

Of course the valve below the sink leaks when its shut off, so that needs to be fixed as well, so I shut it at the tank.

cockpitbob

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

Have a dripping faucet in the bathroom, so I disassembled and went and got the replacement cartridge. Now it drips even more! First time attempting this repair, didnt know of the spring & seat. Decided it was easier to shut the hot water down for the night to watch the Pat's game.

Of course the valve below the sink leaks when its shut off, so that needs to be fixed as well, so I shut it at the tank.
You just added to your man-skilz by learning the universal rule that every plumbing job takes 3 trips to the hardware store.

Last edited:

pastera

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

BrassCraft Multi Turn Valve Stem Repair Kit-BCSR01 - The Home Depot

I'd say keep a couple around the house but I'm too toxicly masculine (or lazy) to do so.

daveyburt

NES Member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
What the heck was this? It read like "how to become a great cuck in 10 easy steps". How emasculated do you need to be to write stuff like that?
My stomach turned reading it.
To believe that this is some sort of 'reality' is disturbing to say the least.
I'll continue to enjoy my TOXIC masculinity thanks.

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've been reading the comments in this thread and thinking to myself, "Self, what is WRONG with NES today?"

I finally went back and read the article more thoroughly (beyond the bulleted high point lines) and realized the article was written by a cuckold.

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I don't know how this idea took hold, really, but it's bogus. Modern cars with onboard diagnostics are easier to fix than vintage stuff imho. Reading the code(s) with a $50 OBD2 reader and swapping a part or two is easier than rebuilding a carburetor or setting ignition timing with a timing light.
Really? The code "sometimes" is vaguely related to the problem. After replacing half a dozen $75 - $150 parts sometimes you get lucky and actually happen to replace the right one.

USED to be, a good mechanic could listen to the engine, look at the smoke from the tail pipe and the replace or adjust the one thing the car needs to run properly.

Try diagnosing why the seat gooser that warns you you're drifting out of lane is goosing when you are solid in the lane. Or the rear view cam comes on when you're trying to watch "The Goonies" on the DVD.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bad list. Sounds like that list came straight out of Gillette’s sissy femdom marketing group

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow. I thought this was going to be more specific. This is a weird list, and not something I would follow.

I was going to do something like:
sharpen tools
use a skil saw and drill properly
use a chain saw
fell a tree properly
sweat a joint
replace an outlet/switch
start a siphon
turn a garden
hunt/fish, then dress or filet the harvested game
ice fish
play pool
rotate/change tires
change spark plugs
do a brake job (at least disk brakes)
drive a standard
carve a roast, turkey, ham
keep your lady happy: this includes everything up to defending her honor and saving her life
enjoy sports with friends
how to start a fire
how to put out a fire
how to prime the furnace
navigate a boat
raise kids right
split wood
build a stone wall
jump (bike, motorcycle, ski, snowboard, skateboard, ...) successfully
shoot a bow
make camp in a safe dry place
etc.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How about being able to go out in the cold and work without crying.sent from a warm truck on the way to get ice melt for guys left working in the cold

Palladin

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Funny ..... all this stuff that is illegal to do yourself, but both home improvement stores, hardware stores, and even supply houses that cater to the trade will be glad to sell it to you.
funny. a couple of years ago, in HD, saw they're giving a class on how to change a switch. Girl working there asks me if I want a seat to watch..."nah, but I want to hand out business cards, so when one of these dopes gets whacked with a hot neutral, they'll call me!" LOL

beaker

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
The a**h***s who wrote this piece of shit article can pry my socket wrenches, my Makita power tools, and my guns from my cold dead hands, but something tells me that the a**h***s who wrote this trash will be have cold dead hands before i do.

Around my house i hear all the time, "we are so lucky you can fix everything" godammed right she is

Last edited:

10thSFFD

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The a**h***s who wrote this piece of shit article can pry my socket wrenches, my Makita power tools, and my guns from my cold dead hands, but something tells me that the a**h***s who wrote this trash will be have cold dead hands before i do.

Around my hose i hear all the time, "we are so lucky you can fix everything" godammed right she is
You must be one of those angry white men who confuse Hamilton with a president. [laugh2]

Top Bottom