1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Obsolete Man Skills

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Knicks, Jan 20, 2019.

1. mibro

mibro NES Member

I don't know how this idea took hold, really, but it's bogus. Modern cars with onboard diagnostics are easier to fix than vintage stuff imho. Reading the code(s) with a $50 OBD2 reader and swapping a part or two is easier than rebuilding a carburetor or setting ignition timing with a timing light.

Super99Z and sieveboy like this.
  2. BUMPA01603

BUMPA01603 NES Member

How about: holding down a steady f*ckin job year after year or the ability to cook meat on the grill or crush empty beer can on you forehead ....

Daddy Mac, Al-Jim19, Gidge and 3 others like this.
  3. MisterHappy

MisterHappy NES Member

On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
    I take your point, to an extent.

Yes, a code reader will tell you that the fenotny pin is misaigned from the frammis gear, but often it's a HUGE pita to access said pin and gear.

Back in the day, you could access most, if not all, parts of an engine without having to remove half the pieces under the hood.

I was in the car business years ago (sales), and I began to see tools become overly specialized: my first WTF was I asked a tech, "What's up with this bent box-end wrench, did you find a nut that wouldn't move?"
    It turned out that the wrench had a curve on about a 30-inch radius, so an alternator bold could be reached. A straight wrench, or a ratchet would not work.

My kid got a code reader from Amazon, and it's quite good about telling him what's wrong with his Jeep, this week! [laugh]. Last, it was the alternator. R&R no problem. "Just Empty Every Pocket"

4. mothybee

mothybee NES Member

Oh, is that why you never answered my e-mails.

5. pastera

pastera

My daughter pinched a tire on the curb last week - made her change it herself. She didn't know how the get the jack out of the holder so while I was talking her through it she says " hold on dad, I'm going to youtube this and call you back"
    Ten minutes later she called back on video chat with everything setup to pull the tire
    She had to jump on the lug wrench with all of her 100 lbs the get the nuts off but she did it - yes, she did this on video chat laughing the whole time.

People at work think I'm horrible for not paying for AAA for her - that's great until AAA is hours away and a 4'10" girl is stuck on the side of the road.

For those wondering, "Daddy" got the bill for a new tire. Anyone with a little girl knows the difference between "daddy" and "dad"...

6. mass

mass NES Member

#metoo

Tried to read it but kept getting I won an iPhone or walmWal gift card.

Jason Flare likes this.
  7. mibro

mibro NES Member

I wish I could say I take your point but I don't really. If you've done a little wrenching you'd know this isn't really true.

If I think about the codes I've pulled on my own vehicles over the last decade, they'd be things like O2 sensors, coolant temp sensor, misfire codes, etc. All plug-n-play fixes with basic wrenching skills. No fenotny pins.

8. Arto

Arto

Is this guy in charge of advertising for Gillette? ;)

9. MisterHappy

MisterHappy NES Member

I guess my real complaint is that there's no room under the hood, anymore. It's all stuffed full of plastic and emissions control hoses.

silversquirrel and dingbat like this.
  10. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

I'm 33, and NO.

This is just a bunch of BS written to get views, because they need to write about something.

That being said, I would say that 90% of the people I know cant do any of the things mentioned...Hunt, Fight, be a leader ... they also cant shoot, fix anything at home, deal with stress, take criticism, take someone disagreeing with them, have a polite and intelligent conversation with someone that doesnt agree with them, talk about politics ...

Corporate America is full of idiots. And I noticed this with the under 40 crowd.

The older guys can have a debate, they are polite, you can disagree with them as long as it is in a polite way and not attacking them, they will consider your point of view if you have some facts to back it up.

I feel bad for anyone that likes to be challenged and asks a lot of "why", "how"... entering the corporate world today. All these idiots in their 30's will be their bosses. 99% of kids will be fine since they are a bunch of morons right out of college, but the few smart ones that think outside the box will have a tough time if they dont like to shut up and go with the flow.

I wish I could record some of the most stupid conversations people have at work. A new guy from GA said he likes to hunt and eat bear. People in the office almost [email protected] themselves. "That must be a lie", "you cant hunt bear", "who would eat that animal?" ... with that sentence, the guy was automatically rejected from 99% of "groups" because he doesnt fit inside that magical box people have in New England.

Now, all the older guys from SC, NC, TN ... they were all cool with it. We all went out to dinner during a sales QBR, and we were talking guns and hunting.

So, there is a very distinct line and two very different groups, and the age that separates them is around 38-42 years. People above are fine, people below are full blown [email protected]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  11. Gidge

Gidge

Pure BS -- looks like Oprah Winfrey standards to me.

12. mibro

mibro NES Member

That I agree with. If you want to keep an older vehicle you have to make the effort to keep your vacuum hoses, check valves, PCV system etc. up to snuff. Can be daunting but again not that bad if you're methodical.

13. Zappa

Zappa Road Warrior NES Member

These metrosexuals are obviously destined to become politicians, notice how they already have their hands in someones elses' pocket.

14. Brewer

Brewer NES Life Member NES Member

They'll go the same way as the original BetaMax.
    48355_01_sony-finally-kills-betamax.jpg
    “Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And weak men create hard times.”

Gidge, buckfarack, Mountain and 2 others like this.
  15. C. Stockwell

C. Stockwell NES Member

Most of those skills compliment each other, rather than being mutually exclusive.

Hunting gives you more meat to cook and knowing how to cook makes you appreciate hunting more. A guy who knows how to fight knows his own strength, so he also knows how important it is to prevent conflict (mediate). I know how to code and work on cars: those two skills are not mutually exclusive. A leader knows how to work with and motivate other people to accomplish goals. Discipline is key to success in life, as is being able to communicate.

Fixing the house is simply a necessity and decorating is not. All people should aspire to live humbly and simply without frills. And "learning how to talk about your feelings" is pretty simple: see Spock's colorful metaphors.

Mesatchornug and dingbat like this.
  16. TLB

TLB

You haven't lived until you have eaten bear steak and eggs for breakfast. Just kidding, but it was pretty good.

17. Al458

Al458 NES Member

I'm 30, I was shaking my head in disgust, but I would imagine a large percentage of people around my age agree with every one of those

buckfarack and BUMPA01603 like this.
  18. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

Different way of thinking up there.

I had lunch with some Canadian shooters north of Toronto, and mentioned the MA "may issue" licensing system. The reply, and this was from serious handgunners, was "If the police don't think you should have a gun then you obviously shouldn't".
    Yes, but will it let you synchronize the cardinal grammeter and also effectively prevent side fumbling while reducing sinusodial depleneration?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    AHM, Arto and dingbat like this.
  19. dingbat

dingbat

And you have to remove the battery, air box, intake, fuel rail, and transaxle to do just about anything beyond a headlamp. Just have to pull the bumper, grille, and headlight assembly for those.

AHM likes this.
  20. Christian

Christian

Rt.3, 1/2 way between Boston and the Cape
    10. Off yourself, simply living is a detriment to the planet and is the most green thing anyone can do. To be even more green elect some selfish person, who you're obviously better than, to add you to the compost heap alongside your friends. Remember you need to do this first before all your friends catch on, it makes you so much more betterer than them.

21. nstassel

nstassel NES Member

As I cleared snow this morning using a 40 year old snowblower that I have painstakingly maintained and repaired I laughed at the thought of how many of the women marching yesterday on the common were relying on a man to shovel their driveway.

daekken, Christian, GM-GUY and 3 others like this.
  22. dingbat

dingbat

Depends. Are you running a retro or turbo unit?

Rob Boudrie likes this.
  23. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

Retro - the one with the differential girdle spring.

========================================

I take pride in doing man stuff for my wife. Something breaks, I fix it. She's low on gas, I take the car down the street and fill it up. Driveway needs blowing, I get up early and do it. Network is slow or an option on her computer needs a setting fixed, I take care of it. Note that stuff like "time to buy new furniture and repaint the living room" is not on my list. I sometimes worry about how she will get the man stuff done if I go TU one of these days.

boiler_eng likes this.
  24. milktree

milktree NES Member

Ha!

There's enough shouting and name-calling here from "older guys" to suggest that's not universally true.

I've also had a lot of animated discussions with teenagers and 20 mumbles that were respectful and fact filled to believe the difference isn't age, it's upbringing and personality.

25. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

This is a forum, and people online tend to be tougher than in real life. Also, it is hard to tell if someone is angry or laid back, some posts can come out as very angry when they are not. And a lot of posts attack people, like that government shut down ghread that is several pages of people sh*tting on the CG. I would expect some angry reactions. And there is always the 2 or 3 guys that just have to disagree with everyone.

That being said, what I posted doesnt apply to everyone. You will always have [email protected] ups on every age group. Keep in mind I am talking about corporate guys, talking at work. Maybe outside of work they are total d*cks.

buckfarack and milktree like this.
  26. MisterHappy

MisterHappy NES Member

You must not have gone to the linky....the LANDLORD is supposed to take care of that.

Owning a home is so......non- millennial.

27. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

clickbait garbage virus adss

Jason Flare likes this.
  28. greencobra

greencobra NES Member

my old guy skills are much different than my young guy skills. life is easier now and I really only still use one skill from my younger years...twistin' the top off a beer bottle. must be muscle memory.

Daddy Mac, buckfarack and enbloc like this.
  29. enbloc

enbloc NES Life Member NES Member

Obsolete Man Skills

Writing your name in the snow... while using cursive and crossing your T's and dotting your I's.

30. Varmint

Varmint NES Member