• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Obama to Announce New Executive Action concerning guns:

On the front page of the Metro this morning the gun grabbers state Barry's EO's are good start but not enough. Apparently Rosenthal was at the circle jerk this week too. /smh

On the front page of the Metro this morning the gun grabbers state Barry's EO's are good start but not enough. Apparently Rosenthal was at the circle jerk this week too. /smh

Walsh was, I think the jackass COP of austin texas, basically all the liberal anti's were there for the dog and pony show.

The only thing that they will say is "enough" is full bans and full confiscation.

Easy way to deflect their BS claim of "common sense gun regulations" is to get them to admit that this is the goal.

Ahhhhh. This makes things a lot clearer. So they are just going for better enforcement of the, "involuntarily committed" provision.

People found not guilty by reason of insanity or who are unable to stand trial is a relatively reasonable restriction, I think, though it should take into account the nature of the charge. Involuntarily committed is sketchier - I don't necessarily agree that everyone who has ever been involuntarily committed is enough of a danger to society that they shouldn't be allowed to own a gun (ever). Curtailing someone's rights who has not been convicted of a crime isn't constitutional or fair. That said, at least this isn't really a substantive change in the rules - its a provision to better enforce a rule that's already on the books.

Ahhhhh. This makes things a lot clearer. So they are just going for better enforcement of the, "involuntarily committed" provision.

People found not guilty by reason of insanity or who are unable to stand trial is a relatively reasonable restriction, I think, though it should take into account the nature of the charge. Involuntarily committed is sketchier - I don't necessarily agree that everyone who has ever been involuntarily committed is enough of a danger to society that they shouldn't be allowed to own a gun (ever). Curtailing someone's rights who has not been convicted of a crime isn't constitutional or fair. That said, at least this isn't really a substantive change in the rules - its a provision to better enforce a rule that's already on the books.

I don't think the bolded part is reasonable at all. There are plenty of cases I can think off off hand where people use a temporary insanity defense legitimately.

If you're found not guilty of a crime, no punishment is warranted period.

Is there a thread or a website that provides a concise explanation of what additional restrictions this executive order imposes? I would like to transfer a shotgun to my dad. Do I now have to go through an FFL?

Thanks

I don't think the bolded part is reasonable at all. There are plenty of cases I can think off off hand where people use a temporary insanity defense legitimately.

If you're found not guilty of a crime, no punishment is warranted period.

True, though I think there is a legitimate case to be made that in some instances a person found not guilty on those grounds would legitimately represent a danger to other people's life/liberty/property. Then again, in those cases they might be involuntarily committed as well.

This is ugly, tricky ground to tread upon. Mental health is hard to quantify in a way where there would be definite thresholds for denial/approval.

I would like to read a copy of the executive action. I though a link was posted in this thread earlier. I do not see it on the White House web site. If anyone has the link could they please post it. Thanks.

he National Firearms Act imposes restrictions on sales of some of the most dangerous weapons, such as machine guns and sawed-off shotguns.

How is a machine gun or sawed off shotgun any more dangerous than a six shooter or a paper weight? How are "things" dangerous? Isn't it the malicious person that would be dangerous?

Omnibus reaction

... My Wife told me that [Ted "The Rat" Oven] was on the news again last night pontificating for gun owners/dealers. ... when he represents himself as president of the MA gun dealers association (defunct, but he never mentions that part of it) he only helps our enemies.

Is the association incorporated?

Get the bylaws from the Secretary of State.
Have all of Jack's tenants join the association.
Vote Ted out of office, 8:1 ratio.

Entryism: it's a thing.

"C'mon baby, cry for me! C'mon cry!" --Scott Fargus

66370267.jpg

What's a perspective gun buyer?

Obviously, someone who buys one of these:

imgvp.jpg

Obama aide (the hot one in green that you're probably already looking at) holds back laughter during the king's speech.

[
pt6tsou.gif
]

Kelly Bundy, is that you?

Amazing how he only cries out of one eye all the time.

FACE.jpg

The stats that really got my attention were...
... my favorite... medical errors are the third leading cause of death in the US with just over 200,000 fatalities. So you are 20 times more likely to be killed by your doctor than you are by your gun.

And when you add in all the doctors that amputate limbs for the sweet, sweet insurance payoff, it's really horrific.

Last edited:
True, though I think there is a legitimate case to be made that in some instances a person found not guilty on those grounds would legitimately represent a danger to other people's life/liberty/property. Then again, in those cases they might be involuntarily committed as well.

This is ugly, tricky ground to tread upon. Mental health is hard to quantify in a way where there would be definite thresholds for denial/approval.

I draw the line at this... can society justify locking the person up in a funny farm or not? If the answer is no then they shouldn't have their rights taken away. If joe coocoo clock is allowed to roam freely, whats to stop him from harming people? If someone is that dangerous than blocking lawful access to firearms is not any kind of a realistic safeguard. I find it hilarious that there are likely people rolling around, legally driving automobiles, for example, that were probably "involuntarily committed to a mental health facility" at some point during their life. It's OK for us to let them drive something they could mow down 10 people with, but we're gonna shit our pants if he gets his hands on a GUN!!! [laugh]

I agree its definitely tricky ground, though. You crank up the sensitivity on MH as being a disqualifier and then nobody wants to get help. Not so much an issue with the clueless general public but there are craploads of vets around with PTSD that are already scared of the prospect of losing their guns if the state "finds out too much" about their condition.

-Mike

I draw the line at this... can society justify locking the person up in a funny farm or not? If the answer is no then they shouldn't have their rights taken away. If joe coocoo clock is allowed to roam freely, whats to stop him from harming people? If someone is that dangerous than blocking lawful access to firearms is not any kind of a realistic safeguard. I find it hilarious that there are likely people rolling around, legally driving automobiles, for example, that were probably "involuntarily committed to a mental health facility" at some point during their life. It's OK for us to let them drive something they could mow down 10 people with, but we're gonna shit our pants if he gets his hands on a GUN!!! [laugh]

I agree its definitely tricky ground, though. You crank up the sensitivity on MH as being a disqualifier and then nobody wants to get help. Not so much an issue with the clueless general public but there are craploads of vets around with PTSD that are already scared of the prospect of losing their guns if the state "finds out too much" about their condition.

-Mike

On top of this, we have been told for many years now that mental health issues should not be stigmatized, and that those who need mental health treatment are no different than those with physical health problems. Yet now those who seek care for mental issues risk being put on "the list". At the same time, those with significant physical problems that could effect safe gun handling (e.g., Parkinson's disease, as a completely random example) are not an issue. I don't think anyone should be denied rights unless they are convicted and in prison. How anyone can make sense of this otherwise is a mystery to me. What I know for sure is that this stigmatization of mental health issues will undermine treatment.

Here's his community organizin' NYT op-ed that somebody wrote for him:

Guns Are Our Shared Responsibility

All of us need to demand leaders brave enough to stand up to the gun lobby’s lies...Change will be hard. It won’t happen overnight. But securing a woman’s right to vote didn’t happen overnight. The liberation of African-Americans didn’t happen overnight. Advancing the rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Americans has taken decades’ worth of work.

Those moments represent American democracy, and the American people, at our best. Meeting this crisis of gun violence will require the same relentless focus, over many years, at every level. If we can meet this moment with that same audacity, we will achieve the change we seek.

-Mike

+1. The libs ultimate end game of banning firearms ownership to those diagnosed with a mental illness will have the opposite effect, people will be afraid to seek treatment and it will further stigmatize mental illness.

What irks me is that 0bama lied on national tv - and no one called him on it.

"No one wants to take away your guns" - there is an HR in congress right now that would do just that. There are multiple state and local ordinances that are being considered to do just that.

Never mind the internet gun buying story.

I draw the line at this... can society justify locking the person up in a funny farm or not? If the answer is no then they shouldn't have their rights taken away. If joe coocoo clock is allowed to roam freely, whats to stop him from harming people? ...

I was going to post basically this same exact thing. Either they are in jail, or "cuckoo house", or they are free men. THIS makes the whole "gun laws" side of it REAL EASY. If they are "out", they are GTG. If they are dangerous, they are "in". Changing the "in" and "out" status is independent of firearms.

Here's his community organizin' NYT op-ed that somebody wrote for him:

Guns Are Our Shared Responsibility

He won't stump for any Democrat that doesn't support his gun laws. Pick a side.

http://www.oann.com/obama-says-wont-campaign-for-any-democrat-who-doesnt-back-gun-reforms/

Will be an interesting election year. He probably does more harm than good anyway.

This will tell you all you need to know:
Why Did it Have to be ... Guns?

What irks me is that 0bama lied on national tv - and no one called him on it.

"No one wants to take away your guns" - there is an HR in congress right now that would do just that. There are multiple state and local ordinances that are being considered to do just that.

Never mind the internet gun buying story.

Heck, look at Lexington, MA, and also the MA AWB, plus the AG regs stopping MA shipments of just about anything (which isn't discussed on here).

-Mike

For sure I agree that anyone who voluntarily seeks help should not have their rights infringed upon. The way we treat vets is ****ing unconscionable. It doesn't seem like the current system or these EOs change that, but we should emphasize and promote that fact to encourage people to get treatment.

I guess I agree that involuntary committal should be the threshold, it's just important that people get committed for appropriate offenses. We're looking at this question from a gun rights perspective, which is understandable, but we also need to look at it from a personal responsibility perspective. Insanity can't be a get out of jail free card. If someone goes off their meds and commits a few minor crimes I have no problem with that. If someone goes out and commits violent acts against people they are free to use the insanity defense, but that defense should come with a price.

We talk about stigmatizing mental health issues, and I am ****ing 100% on board with not doing that and not infringing on people's rights because of those issues. However, when those mental health issues start to seriously impact other people's rights the issue still shouldn't be stigmatized, but society does have a legitimate role in taking action to protect other citizens. I've said it in discussions about asylums/deinstitutionalization before - if someone gets murdered, it doesn't really make that big a difference to the person who was killed whether they were mentally ill or not.

When someone's rights are violated, society has a legitimate case for curtailing the person who committed the crime's rights proportionally based on the seriousness of the crime. The same thing goes for mental health. Should it be treated differently than criminal violations? Of course it should, absolutely, but there is still some degree of responsibility the person bears for their actions that cannot be taken away. It absolutely needs to be proportional to the violation they committed, and those thresholds should be defined as clearly as possible under the circumstances.

Why is "involuntary committal" even on the table in a free society? I can't see locking someone up who has not committed a crime against life or property, and only then after due process, the presumption of innocence, and conviction beyond reasonable doubt.

Back
Top Bottom