• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Obama shuts down Texas gun show

Obama Administration Shuts Down Oldest Gun Show in Central Texas

Kurt Nimmo
Infowars.com
January 18, 2010

In a disturbing update to a story covered in-depth today on the Alex Jones Show, Texas grocery retailer HEB has banned Texas Gun Shows from holding a monthly gun show. HEB is the lease holder on the property where the gun show was held.
featured stories Obama Administration Shuts Down Oldest Gun Show in Central Texas
holder obama featured stories Obama Administration Shuts Down Oldest Gun Show in Central Texas

The Obama administration is the most anti-Second Amendment administration is U.S. history.

HEB used the staged arrest of a man by the Austin Police — subsequently released without charge — at the event over the weekend as a pretext to shut down the oldest gun show in central Texas.

Alex Jones noted on his show today that he has attended guns shows at the venue since he was in high school.

In an earlier article, Infowars detailed how the ATF had advised the Austin Police and attempted to intimidate the organizer of the event. See our article here.

Listeners to the Alex Jones Show should be aware that this backhanded tactic or similar tactics used by the ATF will be used at the behest of the Obama administration to shut down legal gun shows in other states. The Obama administration is the most anti-Second Amendment administration is U.S. history.

Congressional Democrats and their Constitution-hating allies have proposed two bills in an attempt to shut down gun shows. The Gun Show Loophole Closing Act of 2009 (H.R. 2324) was introduced in the House by the notorious gun-grabber Carolyn McCarthy of New York. Senator Frank Lautenberg introduced similar legislation, the Gun Show Background Check Act of 2009 (S. 843), in the U.S. Senate. As of October 2009, the House version of the bill had 35 co-sponsors (mostly Democrats) and the Senate version had 15 co-sponsors, all Democrats.

Obama’s top cop, Eric Holder, is a gun-grabber’s dream come true. “As Deputy Attorney General, Holder was a strong supporter of restrictive gun control. He advocated federal licensing of handgun owners, a three day waiting period on handgun sales, rationing handgun sales to no more than one per month, banning possession of handguns and so-called ‘assault weapons’ (cosmetically incorrect guns) by anyone under age of 21, a gun show restriction bill that would have given the federal government the power to shut down all gun shows, national gun registration, and mandatory prison sentences for trivial offenses (e.g., giving your son an heirloom handgun for Christmas, if he were two weeks shy of his 21st birthday),” David Kopel wrote in 2008.

* A d v e r t i s e m e n t
* efoods

New Jersey Democrat senator Frank R. Lautenberg said last June he planned to introduce legislation designed to cancel the Second Amendment rights of well over a million U.S. citizens. “Mr. Lautenberg plans to introduce legislation on Monday that would give the attorney general the discretion to block gun sales to people on terror watch lists,” the New York Times reported on June 20, 2009. The federal terror watch list contains over a million names.

As a state senator in Illinois, Obama supported a number of laws and regulations designed to restrict and outlaw firearms. Obama supports the CIFTA Gun Treaty. Last year, in meetings with Mexican President Felipe Calderon, Obama promised to urge the U.S. Senate to pass the international arms control treaty. Under the Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties, international legal obligations are superior rank to national law. The treaty would impose the most draconian gun laws in U.S. history.

The Obama administration and its Marxist czars (the sort of Marxism created and supported by the banksters) and policy makers are on the march and they will not be satisfied until they outlaw and confiscate all firearms from law-abiding Americans.

Now is the time to become politically involved. Find out where your representatives stand on so-called gun control and especially their stand on local gun shows and sales of legal firearms between individuals. If they are gun-grabbing Democrats and their spineless Republican confederates, work to get them out of office. Expose them for the Second Amendment traitors they are.

Become aware of ATF activity in your state and the complicity of local law enforcement. Only through awareness and political action can we save our Constitution and Second Amendment from the claws of the New World Order and its long-stated goal to disarm the public and impose a globalist dictatorship. They fear an armed and informed public. Make sure they remain afraid.

If we blow this covert op in Texas off and do nothing, we can expect more of the same around the country. Don’t embolden the ATF and the Obama administration. Get active today or lose your right to defend yourself against criminals and a predatory government.

Link for above story :

http://www.infowars.com/batf-notice-bans-private-gun-sales-in-texas/

And this from the same site :

http://www.infowars.com/tennessee-follows-texas-in-banning-private-gun-shows/

Tennessee has followed Texas in demanding that dealers obtain licenses and turn over a plethora of information to authorities before being able to host a gun show in another devastating attack on the second amendment.

The legislation, HB 2422, which has not yet passed, would make it a Class A misdemeanor for any person to organize, plan, promote, or operate a gun show without government approval.

The bill makes it a crime for anyone who wishes to operate a gun show unless they follow the following procedures;

(1) Notifies the TBI and the chief law enforcement officer in the county in which the gun show is to be held of the dates, times, and location of the gun show;
(2) Verifies the identity of each gun show dealer participating in the gun show by examining a valid photo identification document of the dealer, before commencement of the gun show;
(3) Requires each gun show dealer to sign a ledger with information identifying the dealer, including the dealer’s name and address, before commencement of the gun show; and
(4) Maintains a copy of the records described above in (2) and (3) at the gun show promoter’s permanent place of business for one year from the date of the gun show.

The legislation also contains a blanket ban on all unlicensed gun sales within 1,000 feet of an unapproved gun show.

The bill would take effect on January 1, 2011 if signed into law.

As we highlighted yesterday, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives is actively issuing directions banning private sales of guns without licenses at gun shows in Texas, despite there being no law to justify such demands.

A caller to the Alex Jones show brought attention to BATF notices handed out at the entrance of the Texas Gun And Knife Show, on North Lamar, in Austin this past weekend.

The flyers (pictured below) state that anyone selling a firearm “will be asked to comply with” conditions including operating through a licensed FFL dealer.

The notice also states that “Selling firearms in the parking lot will not be permitted.”

“The lady at the front desk used her ‘mommy voice’ to get everyone’s attention.” Scott from Austin told The Alex Jones show, noting that the owners of the private building where the gun show was held were contacted by the APD and the BATF and directed to hand out the notices.

Scott also told listeners that a petition in protest of the directions was being handed around at the show.

I spotted this at another gun board a few mins ago.
Was about to post it in a new thread but found this one first.

http://www.prisonplanet.com/batf-notice-bans-private-gun-sales-in-texas.html

There is no law to prevent private sales without a license, police issue “direction” on orders of Feds
Steve Watson
Infowars.net
Monday, Jan 18, 2010
The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives is actively issuing directions banning private sales of guns without licenses at gun shows in Texas, despite there being no law to justify such demands.
A caller to the Alex Jones show brought attention to BATF notices handed out at the entrance of the Texas Gun And Knife Show, on North Lamaar, in Austin this past weekend.
The flyers (pictured below) state that anyone selling a firearm “will be asked to comply with” conditions including operating through a licensed FFL dealer.
The notice also states that “Selling firearms in the parking lot will not be permitted.”
“The lady at the front desk used her ‘mommy voice’ to get everyone’s attention.” Scott from Austin told The Alex Jones show, noting that the owners of the private building where the gun show was held were contacted by the APD and the BATF and directed to hand out the notices.
Scott also told listeners that a petition in protest of the directions was being handed around at the show.

180110gunsales.jpg

Other attendees posted the flyer on web forums. One poster noted:
“Here is a public notice from a gun show in Austin, Texas this weekend. Do any fellow Texans know of any law changes that took effect recently that make person-to-person gun sales illegal? Has anyone else seen similar notices?”
“It was not handed out in the parking lot, it was posted at the entrance of the venue.” The forum user writes.
“I spoke with the man who runs the gun show and he said he was told on Thursday to post this (the gun show was Saturday and Sunday). Of course, the owner of the venue has the right to prohibit almost anything he wants on his property, but that’s not what this notice says. It says ‘at the direction of the Austin Police Department and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms’ and that’s what bothers me.”

The direction “asks” visitors to comply with its demands precisely because there is no law or regulation against private gun sales.
Infowars is in the process of arranging interviews with the Texas Gun Show operators for comments on this issue.
Watch Alex Jones cover this story on Yesterday’s show (begins 7 mins in):

Here's why Obama has taken his first step towards martial law in America. This indicates the issuance of his new executive order. This order sets up the
framework for the use of federal troops and the combination of state and federal agencies under the Defence Department. This is startling news for many reasons. Gun Control and Control Internet Cyberspace:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's more than that.

There have BATFE audits of all gun shops going on for months now. I believe it started earlier this year.

I was up in NH over the weekend with a friend who was picking up his new Ruger SR-556 - and the owner of the gun shop said that the BATFE came in and took copies of all of this records - and was taking all of the records of guns sold to MA residents so they could forward them off to the MA govt.

I don't know if this is new behavior or not for the BATFE, but I don't remember hearing about anything like this happening when Bush was in office.

It's more than that.

There have BATFE audits of all gun shops going on for months now. I believe it started earlier this year.

I was up in NH over the weekend with a friend who was picking up his new Ruger SR-556 - and the owner of the gun shop said that the BATFE came in and took copies of all of this records - and was taking all of the records of guns sold to MA residents so they could forward them off to the MA govt.

I don't know if this is new behavior or not for the BATFE, but I don't remember hearing about anything like this happening when Bush was in office.

I think it happened only if a red flag went up.

I think it happened only if a red flag went up.

All shops get audited, not just when something bad happens. According to BATFE, the "goal" is to audit every Type 01 at least once every 3 years. Doesn't always happen, but it seems to be happening a lot in the northeast lately.

-Mike

Remember Red's Trading Post in Twin Falls, Idaho? ATF undertook a vendetta against them to an amazing degree.

http://waronguns.blogspot.com/2007/04/reds-under-fire-waronguns-interviews.html

If you can stand to hear Alex Jones ranting, he has an interview with the gun show promoter:

http://www.infowars.com/texas-gun-s...he-atf-makes-his-case-on-the-alex-jones-show/

All shops get audited, not just when something bad happens. According to BATFE, the "goal" is to audit every Type 01 at least once every 3 years. Doesn't always happen, but it seems to be happening a lot in the northeast lately.

-Mike

Dr, I was saying I thought that is the way it USED to be done. The FFLs I've spoken to said they didn't see the BATFE unless there was something like a form not properly filled out or if they had a few people buying numerous guns. Now they say BATFE shows up without any issues.

Dr, I was saying I thought that is the way it USED to be done. The FFLs I've spoken to said they didn't see the BATFE unless there was something like a form not properly filled out or if they had a few people buying numerous guns. Now they say BATFE shows up without any issues.

Many dealers otherwise left alone have been getting audited. They seem to be doing it systematically now. My point was, however, that BATFE always had a systematic audit policy in place, although in the past it may not have been carried out for whatever reasons. Some of it might have to do with the fact that when Congress bitch slapped them a little after the Richmond VA gun show debacle, they had to scale most of their harassment down a notch... and it's a lot easier for them to get away with bugging licensees than it is for them to bug dealers.

-Mike

They have been covering this story pretty extensively yesterday and today(ETA monday/tues 16-17 january) on the Alex Jones Radio show. They have now shut down the shows at that location, per the owner of the venue.
They interviewed the show promoter. You can get podcasts of the show from yesterday and today. The majority of it has been spent on this topic, and its been really good coverage.
http://xml.nfowars.net/Alex.rss

Last edited:
Many dealers otherwise left alone have been getting audited. They seem to be doing it systematically now. My point was, however, that BATFE always had a systematic audit policy in place, although in the past it may not have been carried out for whatever reasons.

I don't believe audits were the OP's points; the fact that records from OUT OF STATE dealers were being sent to CHSB WAS. Is the BATFE suggesting that a duly presented license is NOT valid on its face? If not, the Federal issue which would warrant BATFE's action, sending dealer records to another state, eludes me.

Some of it might have to do with the fact that when Congress bitch slapped them a little after the Richmond VA gun show debacle, they had to scale most of their harassment down a notch... and it's a lot easier for them to get away with bugging licensees than it is for them to bug dealers.

Indeed. Less intimidating than violating your privacy by interrogating neighbors about your purchases; therefore, less likely to appear on the public's - and Congress' - radar. All while still turning the screws.

Last edited:
Is this being discussed anywhere besides infowars, I think Jones gets some basic truths right most of the time. But for crying out loud, the guy thinks aliens are running our government?

I'll take some time and look around, but if it's not anywhere else, I'm leery of taking it as gospel according to Alex.

Is this being discussed anywhere besides infowars, I think Jones gets some basic truths right most of the time. But for crying out loud, the guy thinks aliens are running our government?

I'll take some time and look around, but if it's not anywhere else, I'm leery of taking it as gospel according to Alex.
Totally false. He has addressed the far out theories (reptilians are what you're referring to?) of David Icke as the "turd in the punch bowl" because Icke is pretty good on things besides that. He definitely doesn't do anything like that. He only talks about stuff for which he has real evidence. I don't want to sidetrack too much, because this isn't about him, but Drudge Report now has a permanent link to infowars.. so he apparently thinks it is worth something..
He interviewed the promoter, he has had Larry Pratt of the GOA talking about it, he had Jack McLamb, former and highly decorated Sheriff. This is not fake. It sounds outrageous, so I see how you might be skeptical, but it really happened.

Last edited:
If you don't mind, could you post a citation to validate that statement? Thank you.

Alex Jones is one of those 9/11 truther nutjobs. It's literally that simple.

Once in awhile he makes a cogent point, but his credibility is destroyed because 85% of what he creates involves serious amounts of tinfoil.

His credibility sucks so badly that he'd be better off handing the information to someone else, if he really cares about it that much.

-Mike

I don't believe audits were the OP's points; the fact that records from OUT OF STATE dealers were being sent to CHSB WAS. Is the BATFE suggesting that a duly presented license is NOT valid on its face? If not, the Federal issue which would warrant BATFE's action, sending dealer records to another state, eludes me.

Part of me thinks that either the dealer in question isn't quite telling the truth, or that BATFE really has taken this whole "collude with the state" stuff to a whole new level. I'm seeing evidence on the ground that seems to indicate that CHSB/EOPS seems to be playing "happy fun ball" with BATFE a lot more often in the recent past..... when it used to be that they were mostly independent of one another. I think this has something to do with regime changes at either BATFE and/or EOPS/CHSB. (I won't name drop, you probably already know all the people involved. ) . This might also have something to do with the fact that with Eric Holder being the most anti gun AG ever to serve in that national seat, that there are some directives that have trickled down from above for these kinds of things to happen. (The AG at the national level has a wide amount of influence with these types of things..... look at the things that happened under Janet Reno, for example. ). There's a fair chance that "s**t is flowing downhill" from the Obama administration at the executive level, because they know they're not going to be able to pass laws legislatively, so they'll abuse the power of the executive to achieve the same net effect in the end.

Indeed. Less intimidating than violating your privacy by interrogating neighbors about your purchases; therefore, less likely to appear on the public's - and Congress' - radar. All while still turning the screws.

Rather, (as I think you figured out) I meant to say it's easier for them to bug FFLs/dealers than it is joe average. Part of this is because the FFLs are somewhat accustomed to getting bent over the guardrail at random odd intervals by the feds... so they're actually more desensitized to the abuse.... that, and the feds usually hold tremendous power over them because a BATFE agent can ruin a dealer in the blink of an eye. It's a lot harder for BATFE to put the hurt on a citizen than it is a dealer. If something got really bad, the chances of a dealer lashing out at BATFE are also slim to none. All the dealer wants to do is make money, and with BATFE agents and tanks blocking his driveway, he's not exactly going to be open for business. BATFE has figured out it's "cheaper" all the way around to attack dealers instead of individuals and groups who aren't licensees.

-Mike

-Mike

Mike, it's not just in the NorthEast - I talk to gun shops all over the US and a lot of the ones I've talked to have been being audited recently. OTOH, none of them suggested to me that what they were getting was anything other than a normal audit.

The best description I heard of the audit was the guy saying that he was getting his "annual BATF anal probe". [laugh]

Here's a link to a local news site about the happenings: Gun show owner alleges rights violation.

Austin PD is claiming they're using their nuisance ordinances to prohibit private sales at the show or in the parking lot. Trouble is, Texas law specifically prohibits municipalities from regulating gun sales.

Local Government Code section 229:
Sec. 229.001. FIREARMS; EXPLOSIVES. (a) A municipality may not adopt regulations relating to the transfer, private ownership, keeping, transportation, licensing, or registration of firearms, ammunition, or firearm supplies.

(b) Subsection (a) does not affect the authority a municipality has under another law to:

(1) require residents or public employees to be armed for personal or national defense, law enforcement, or another lawful purpose;

(2) regulate the discharge of firearms within the limits of the municipality;

(3) regulate the use of property, the location of a business, or uses at a business under the municipality's fire code, zoning ordinance, or land-use regulations as long as the code, ordinance, or regulations are not used to circumvent the intent of Subsection (a) or Subdivision (5) of this subsection;

(4) regulate the use of firearms in the case of an insurrection, riot, or natural disaster if the municipality finds the regulations necessary to protect public health and safety;

(5) regulate the storage or transportation of explosives to protect public health and safety, except that 25 pounds or less of black powder for each private residence and 50 pounds or less of black powder for each retail dealer are not subject to regulation; or

(6) regulate the carrying of a firearm by a person other than a person licensed to carry a concealed handgun under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, at a:

(A) public park;

(B) public meeting of a municipality, county, or other governmental body;

(C) political rally, parade, or official political meeting; or

(D) nonfirearms-related school, college, or professional athletic event.

(c) The exception provided by Subsection (b)(6) does not apply if the firearm is in or is carried to or from an area designated for use in a lawful hunting, fishing, or other sporting event and the firearm is of the type commonly used in the activity.

(d) The exception provided by Subsection (b)(4) does not authorize the seizure or confiscation of any firearm or ammunition from an individual who is lawfully carrying or possessing the firearm or ammunition.

That's the entire section, but here's the relevant part:
A municipality may not adopt regulations relating to the transfer, private ownership, keeping, transportation, licensing, or registration of firearms, ammunition, or firearm supplies.

Drgrant,

I like this forum. I plan to renew my membership shortly. I would like to see some accountability from other users of this forum, and I think this is an area where the mods could set aside thier personal opinions. Another forum user made an assinine comment, and I threw down a challenge flag. He could have produced evidence to back up his claim, or retracted his statement, but instead he responded with innuendo, and a personal dig. If this is how the new forum is going to be run, I'm not optimistic about it's future.

Drgrant,

I like this forum. I plan to renew my membership shortly. I would like to see some accountability from other users of this forum,

Accountability? That's for the user to provide, if they so desire. (Within reason, obviously past a certain point it becomes trolling and not just stating an opinion. ) With all due respect, do you want Derek, myself, and the rest of us to point a gun at the user when they don't back up their opinion with facts? [laugh]

and I think this is an area where the mods could set aside thier personal opinions.

Last I knew there wasn't some card I had to sign stating I had to check my opinions at the door. Frankly, I think that us using Alex Jones as some kind of an authority makes us all look bad. There, I said it. [laugh]

Another forum user made an assinine comment, and I threw down a challenge flag. He could have produced evidence to back up his claim, or retracted his statement, but instead he responded with innuendo, and a personal dig. If this is how the new forum is going to be run, I'm not optimistic about it's future.

Most hard core tinfoil threads don't get very far here, because of the mind numbing dumbness involved. That having been said, what I did then was break off a thread involving most of the Alex Jones posts..... THIS thread really isn't about him, and I didn't want to see it derailed. So I made a new one here....

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php/90239-Is-Alex-Jones-The-Tinfoil-King

If anyone wants to talk/argue about the tinfoiler (or defend him for that matter) go there... the two topics at hand are only peripherally related, and I don't want the main point of this thread to be negated (and end in closure) because it turned into tinfoil land. Any more jones posts in -this current- thread will be destroyed.

-Mike

Last edited:
Don't worry, the NRA is on the case.
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=5323
Texas Gun Show Controversy

Friday, January 22, 2010

NRA has received many inquiries about reports that the Austin, Texas Police Department and the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives tried to stop private gun sales at an Austin gun show.

It appears that these reports refer to a voluntary agreement concerning the transfer of firearms at the Austin gun show, evidently reached among law enforcement agencies, property owners and managers, and the gun show promoter in question. This was a self-imposed regulation, not a rule from the BATFE or an ordinance of the City of Austin.

NRA and our state affiliate, the Texas State Rifle Association, continue to research and investigate this matter--including examining whether this show was unfairly targeted.

Rest assured, we will inform our members of any new developments.
... Oh crap, wait a second...
Keep sending them your dues folks, they are hard at work... collecting your dues
Voluntary?? This guy's show lost half of its business, and then was ended at this location. Yea, he did it voluntarily.

Don't worry, the NRA is on the case.
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=5323

... Oh crap, wait a second...
Keep sending them your dues folks, they are hard at work... collecting your dues
Voluntary?? This guy's show lost half of its business, and then was ended at this location. Yea, he did it voluntarily.

Is the promoter a NRA member? Did he ask for their help? Did any of the dealers? Actually, would it benefit the dealers to have private sales restricted? I'm not quite sure what you think the NRA should do other than what they are doing, which is investigating. Which might actually take a few days before they can decide if there is anything to be done. From what I've seen in Texas, in most places other than Austin, the police probably wouldn't get involved in this nor would the ATF get much cooperation. Which is probably why they picked Austin and not, say Fort Worth.

You're over reacting.

VOLUNTARY?? They are either braindead level stupid, or intentionally downplaying this. If gun owners stand for this, because the NRA says it is ok, then we are doomed. It is just a matter of time. And you'll all keep paying your dues, then go watch football and say you did your part to "save gun rights."

VOLUNTARY?? They are either braindead level stupid, or intentionally downplaying this. If gun owners stand for this, because the NRA says it is ok, then we are doomed. It is just a matter of time. And you'll all keep paying your dues, then go watch football and say you did your part to "save gun rights."

Where did the NRA say that this is OK? They said
NRA and our state affiliate, the Texas State Rifle Association, continue to research and investigate this matter--including examining whether this show was unfairly targeted.
. Unlike some people here, they aren't going to jump to conclusions, they are going to wait until they have some facts.

Back
Top Bottom