• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Obama Says: Don't stock up on guns

Borrowed from MassCops.com

Obama Says: Don't stock up on guns
December 8, 2008

BY ABDON M. PALLASCH Political Reporter

As gun sales shoot up around the country, President-elect Barack Obama said Sunday that gun-owning Americans do not need to rush out and stock up before he is sworn in next month.
"I believe in common-sense gun safety laws, and I believe in the second amendment," Obama said at a news conference. "Lawful gun owners have nothing to fear. I said that throughout the campaign. I haven't indicated anything different during the transition. I think people can take me at my word."
But National Rifle Association spokesman Andrew Arulanandam said it's not Obama's words — but his legislative track record — that has gun-buyers flocking to the stores.
"Prior to his campaign for president, his record as a state legislator and as a U.S. Senator shows he voted for the most stringent forms of gun control, the most Draconian legislation, gun bans, ammunition bans and even an increase in federal excise taxes up to 500 percent for every gun and firearm sold," Arulanandam said.
Obama answered "yes" in 1996 to a questionnaire from an Illinois group on whether he supported a handgun ban. But he later said a staffer filled out that answer and he did not support a ban.
Nationally, background checks for gun purchases jumped nearly 49 percent during the week Obama was elected, compared with the same time period last year, according to the FBI's National Instant Background Check System.
Anecdotally, gun dealers around the country have reported spikes in sales. The Illinois State Rifle Association Reports gun sales for November were 38 percent higher than last year.
"We don't dispute [the gun sales hike] because the numbers from the federal system certainly confirm that there is increased activity out there. We just think it's a bit stupid," said Peter Hamm, spokesman for the Brady Campaign against Gun Violence.
"Anyone who thinks they need to rush out and buy a firearm clearly has not been paying attention to how quickly we make progress on this issue. We don't think these are first-time buyers. We think they are people who already have more than enough guns at their homes to protect themselves and are buying more."

Comments:http://www.suntimes.com/news/politic...120808.article

Why isn't that I just can't believe/trust him?

I don't believe him. He is in politics. They lie, cheat, steal, etc whenever its suits their needs. People may be overreacting a little, but when nationwide gun sales are hitting record highs in this economy there is a reason for it.

"I believe in common-sense gun safety laws, and I believe in the second amendment"

And therein lies the problem. We disagree with the man on the definition of "common-sense" gun laws and we believe the Second Amendment says something different than he believes it says.

"common-sense" indicates that it is something we sould already be doing... I don't find one gun a month and the umpteen billion other common-sense laws he believes in to be "common sense". Waiting periods, bans on 'assault rifles', bans on 'sniper' rifles, bans on high cap, bans on semi-autos, etc, etc, etc... Common sense? More like communist sense!

Common sense is the NRA 10 commandments. First and foremost, treat EVERY gun as if it were loaded AT ALL TIMES.

I don't trust him and I don't believe him. How can I trust someone who doen't trust me to continue to be a law abiding citizen. Just because I choose to carry does not mean I lose all sense of responsibility and logic.

He is a wolf in sheeps clothing.

Unless a national tragedy or something horrid occurs that forces his hand I very much doubt that Obama will touch firearms at all, if initially, he will be too busy with other items on his agenda and maintaining his Teflon status; so in effect he may actually be telling the truth.

The point remains that the real focus and danger we face comes from the Congressional Houses. So in between writing checks out for uppers and lowers, write a note to one of your representatives.

That having been said, you should still have the mindset of buying cheap and stacking deep; because the future is always uncertain.

Obama may be busy with other things, but there's a raft of other left wing moonbats with nothing better to do, and excited about "change". It won't take much of his time to endorse the work of other lefty loonies.

Hi Guys,
New to this forum.
I saw this thread and had to check it out.
Gun Control was a major issue for me during the past election. I did my homework and studied Obama the best I could.
He openly said that he will not get rid of the 2nd, nor will he take your hunting gun away...well sorta!
He wants to tell us which guns we can hunt with and what caliber.
That new AR DPMS .308, .260,.243, .338 that you can hunt whitetail with and was built to do would fail by Obama.

I am looking to sell my 1861 Springfield replica in .58. Obama wants me to keep it!

Another article I read said, that if it can take a bayonet, has a pistol grip and a folding stock you are in trouble.

Tomorrow I am off to look at a Bulgarian SSR85 and then compare that to the Polish Tantal. One of them I hope to own.

Thanks Obama for raising the price, I could have owned both less than a year ago.

"I believe in common-sense gun safety laws..."

Of course, a total ban on the possession of functional firearms in one's home (DC gun ban) and a ban on the possession of ANY handgun in ANY condition fro ANY reason (a la Chicago) both qualify as "common sense" gun laws to this bonesmoker.

KISS MY ASS, BARACK, YOU CORRUPT PIECE OF CHICAGO GUTTER TRASH!

Hi Guys,
New to this forum.
I saw this thread and had to check it out.
Gun Control was a major issue for me during the past election. I did my homework and studied Obama the best I could.
He openly said that he will not get rid of the 2nd, nor will he take your hunting gun away...well sorta!
He wants to tell us which guns we can hunt with and what caliber.
That new AR DPMS .308, .260,.243, .338 that you can hunt whitetail with and was built to do would fail by Obama.

I am looking to sell my 1861 Springfield replica in .58. Obama wants me to keep it!

Another article I read said, that if it can take a bayonet, has a pistol grip and a folding stock you are in trouble.

Tomorrow I am off to look at a Bulgarian SSR85 and then compare that to the Polish Tantal. One of them I hope to own.

Thanks Obama for raising the price, I could have owned both less than a year ago.

The 2nd is not about hunting or sport anyways, Its about keeping arms (all kinds) to keep the government scared and to fight back against criminals and our own government. The 2nd amendment says "shall be not infringed" and that means no restrictions what so ever. So obama does not support nor understand the RTKBA.

NLB, tell us how you reeeealy feel...

We is screwed. So much for change. Half his cabinet is full of Clintonites. FMR (F#@k Me Running)!!!

There is no Hope, there is certainly no Change. Same Ol' Shiite.

The fact that Blowbama tells me not to do something, makes me even more inclined to do it.

Imagine if you will for a second that this same "common sense" was in place for other constitutional rights.....

You can only own "so many" books as no one NEEDS lots of books, they can go to the library and read them there.

You can only publish one article a week as a reporter, editor, whatever since you should not try and interfere with others by pushing your opinion. Newspapers can only print one edition a week. "Common sense" says that printing anything more than a limited edition is fearmongering and forcing your beliefs upon others

You can not form a new chruch, go from one chruch to another in the same year or work with a church on activities more than once a month. Plenty of "approved" churches out there and stick to one, why would you want to go to more than one anyways?

You can only assemble in public in groups of 10 or more with a permit, and not while wearing any "shocking" or "intimidating" clothing such as boots, black jackets or NY Yankees hats. It may upset others around you and intimidate them. "Common sense" says that if you are not out to harm anyone a permit and restrictions will not bother you.

You may not purchase anything except from a licensed realtor, private sales of any items are not allowed as we have to regulate commerce and collect taxes on all legal purchases.

If the police, fire, sanitation or anyone wants l to look in your car or house, you must submit or face a fine. Anyone with nothing to hide will gladly let people look to make themselves and others "safe". After all it is "common sense" that lawful citizens have nothing to hide.

If you are involved in a crime as a witness, victim or in any other way you must relinquish you cell phone if used, car if part of the "evidence" and clothing to make sure there is evidence against the misguided poor sould who committed a crime against you, helping ensure his arrest and guilty plea. Items can not be returned and will be destroyed as the government is "too overlogged" to try and sort out a property release system.

Bah, got myself bent out of shape again over the double talking politicians.

I am clinging to my Religion, but am waiting for my ltc to cling to my guns.

When a Jew (Dwarven1), an Atheist (Nickle) and a Catholic (VT Country Girl) are all standing around together with their AR's, you know "it ain't about religion".

Unfortunately, we forgot to take a picture of the three of us, it would've made a hell of a Motivational Poster.

When a Jew (Dwarven1), an Atheist (Nickle) and a Catholic (VT Country Girl) are all standing around together with their AR's, you know "it ain't about religion".

Unfortunately, we forgot to take a picture of the three of us, it would've made a hell of a Motivational Poster.
Now that fits my definition of
coexist.jpg
[grin]
Add a holy roller, a Muslim and a Buddist or Hindu and you'd have it all covered. [smile]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom