• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Obama proposes new executive actions on background checks

FACT SHEET: Strengthening the Federal Background Check System to Keep Guns out of Potentially Dangerous Hands

"States are one of the key sources of data on persons prohibited from having guns, including felons and those prohibited for mental health reasons. That’s why the President took action to invest an additional $20 million this year to improve incentives for states to share this information with the federal background check system. In September 2013, DOJ awarded $27.5 million to 42 states and one territory to strengthen the firearms background check system by improving their abilities to share information with the NICS. In addition, the Administration is proposing $50 million for this purpose in FY2014, and Congress should act to provide these critical resources"

Obama is sinking 0.0026% of the 2014 requested Federal Budget into this important program? Now there's real commitment... Just a smoke screen, of course, for gun control. Mental Health, School Security, blah, blah, blah... The goal to to confiscate guns.

this reminds me of a bear trying to get inside a cooler full of food, just do anything and everything until it gets what it wants.

also, there is a lot of research with PET scans to find patterns of brain activity of certain disorders, but so far there are mainly just alzheimer's and parkinson's reearch. not entirely sure what other areas are being explored on that front

It personally makes me sick that he would even attempt to circumvent hippa laws for ANY reason. That is just another slippery slope that there will be no closing the door on once opened.

It personally makes me sick that he would even attempt to circumvent hippa laws for ANY reason. That is just another slippery slope that there will be no closing the door on once opened.
They have legitimately raped HIPPA anyway - Obamacare, by its design, has your data spraying all over the country and aggregated on servers as secure and well maintained as healthcare.gov no doubt.

This is only a minor additional insult to mortal wound that this steaming pile of a law already was to privacy.

I don't know what game SCOTUS is playing with the tax nonsense, but the next words out of their mouth after declaring this a tax should have been - "and it is an unconstitutional tax as well".

Last edited:
How can we stop Obama from using execuitve actions on just about everything, now its Iran. I am getting callouses on my fingers from sending emails weekly to our elected so called politicians. It seems the only thing that will wake people up is when some terrorist(freedom fighter in obamaspeak) leaves a dirty bomb in Times Square.

then i don't understand how this would work. ongoing and former treatment is medical record thus protected by HIPAA. to share the knowledge without the consent of the patent would be a HIPAA violation, no? anyone more versed in this than i am who can explain better?

The deal is this... there are numerous states that don't like to participate in the NICS MH circle jerk (or only like to participate in a limited manner) by giving the feds access to mental health information of ANY kind. This is an attempt by the Obama administration into goading these states into supplying
MH data.... the end result being that more prohibited persons will get detected by NICS.....

-Mike

Last edited:
How can we stop Obama from using execuitve actions on just about everything, now its Iran. I am getting callouses on my fingers from sending emails weekly to our elected so called politicians. It seems the only thing that will wake people up is when some terrorist(freedom fighter in obamaspeak) leaves a dirty bomb in Times Square.

He can write executive actions all day, but none of them truly have the force of law. It's the Executive Orders that are truly dangerous.

Actually, "two new executive actions" -- Executive orders have the full force of law, while an "executive action" is anything the President feels like giving out as direction to federal agencies, when the direction does not modify law. Obama routinely uses executive actions in lieu of executive orders or executive memoranda, unlike his predecessors. EOs get an EO number, while "actions" do not. That's the other advantage of using "executive actions", they're just directions to agencies to act on existing laws, avoid congressional review, and don't directly make law, so more difficult for somebody to challenge.

He can write executive actions all day, but none of them truly have the force of law. It's the Executive Orders that are truly dangerous.

True, but EO's still can't be used to make law.

From the wiki link you linked to:

Executive orders have the full force of law[1] when they take authority from a power granted directly to the Executive by the Constitution, or are made in pursuance of certain Acts of Congress which explicitly delegate to the President some degree of discretionary power (delegated legislation). Like statutes or regulations promulgated by government agencies, executive orders are subject to judicial review, and may be struck down if deemed by the courts to be unsupported by statute or the Constitution.

So an EO that calls for confiscation would still be illegal even if the 2A didn't exist due to how EO's are structured in the constitution. Likewise, an EO banning certain "features" or certain classes of guns inside the US is also illegal. Illegal EO's have no force of law.

However, the CGA 68' did give the ATF damn near complete control of the importation of firearms and ammunition into the US. As as such, Obama can issue any EO he wants banning any firearm and ammo from being imported and the courts would likely uphold said EO.

then i don't understand how this would work. ongoing and former treatment is medical record thus protected by HIPAA. to share the knowledge without the consent of the patent would be a HIPAA violation, no? anyone more versed in this than i am who can explain better?
. There is an exclusion in place in the HIPAA regs for disclosure of info if " a covered entity in good faith (gov?) believes the disclosure is necessary to prevent or lessen a serious threat to the safety of the public. I'm paraphrasing here, had my HIPAA re certification today zzzzzzzzzz.

The HIPAA consent notifications that patients have to sign are so ridiculous. The last line (or close to it) on all of them say that the agreement can be changed without notice and such changes will be retroactive to all data already collected.

That is supposed to be notification of patient's rights, but you have no rights with respect to that data.

There is so much more to HIPAA than what is on the form you sign at Dr's office. There are several exclusions where info may be transmitted to third party entities.

Last edited:
well, bend over. Sounds like bamaboy will go nuts starting tomorrow with "executive action" on gun control.

well, bend over. Sounds like bamaboy will go nuts starting tomorrow with "executive action" on gun control.

IDGAF about his EO's. The only thing this do is continue to make me angry at retard gun owners who buy up all the cheap .22 because bammer opened his mouth.

Do it. I dare him. In the words of Jules: "I double dare you mother******!"

I will follow no new law or EO. That includes any new NH law. You wanna make me a felon for normal activity that harms no one and is currently completely legal? Fine, I'll just stop following ALL firearms law, including the laws that were in place before I was born and before I could vote. If you're gonna make me a felon through no fault of my own, then so help me God, I will become one and I will be proud of it.

Tuesday, January 28th at 9:00 p.m. ET

Luckily executive actions are limited, can't go too crazy within that framework. The big risk is executive orders.

Tuesday's State of the Union address will show his focus. There is speculation that Obama may use this year's airtime to make statements which serve more to promote Democratic candidates for 2014 than to push divisive policies (Obamacare, Gun Control, immigration) which have a demonstrated tendency to cost democrats in midterm elections.
USAToday said:
President Obama's guests at the State of the Union will include survivors of the Boston Marathon bombings, the fire chief of an Oklahoma town ravaged by a tornado, a prominent gay athlete, a young entrepreneur, and a teacher of the year. ... Other guests will be announced before the speech, the White House said.
Hints on the agenda.

Back
Top Bottom