Obama might appoint Nev Gov Brian Sandoval for USSC

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/obama-says-wants-top-court-justice-independent-mind-132642922.html

This guy's game (Obama, that is) is amazing. He waits for the R's to back themselves into "we aren't holding any damned hearings" then prepares a bomb they cannot come back from.

With 24 (versus 10) seats contending this fall, it would be stupid for the Senate to do anything dumb. But they are holding the Dumb playbook and have clearly memorized it.

Many of us have been saying since the 13th that just punt. Push it out and see how it plays before taking a stand. Nope. They (R leadership) can't stand a vacuum of commentary. They HAVE to open their mouths.

Now it's a question of do you do the "right" thing, hold hearings and confirm a conservative or do you do the "wrong" thing and totally back off of your "this is the new era and the D's proved it" mantra of the last week.

This sucks. R's cause 98% of the trouble they get themselves into. :(

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can not care less about both sides' grandstanding. If Obama nominates a pro-gun justice i would not be complaining about Senate relenting and holding some hearings.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I can not care less about both sides' grandstanding. If Obama nominates a pro-LIBERTY justice i would not be complaining about Senate relenting and holding some hearings.
FIFY. I have as little interest in seeing some statist judge get nominated as I do seeing an anti-gunner. I don't know anything about Gov. Sandoval, but merely being "pro-gun" is not enough.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I cannot see him nominating a pro-gun conservative. There has to be some back room deal just to get the senate to agree to the break the deadlock and extend a hearing. Then [FONT=Helvetica Neue, HelveticaNeue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Sandoval will probably withdraw from the process. I don't trust Obama as far as I can throw him. This nomination would be totally contrary to his anti-gun position. Or has Sandoval changed his stance on 2A?[/FONT]

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With 24 (versus 10) seats contending this fall, it would be stupid for the Senate to do anything dumb. But they are holding the Dumb playbook and have clearly memorized it.
I think they wrote that playbook actually.

I don't know much about Brian Sandoval or his positions on issues. Just googling it though, it looks like he got an A rating from the NRA in his 2014 campaign and was endorsed by them (which is the one issue that almost everyone on this site agrees on).

I'm surprised that Obama would nominate someone like Sandoval...pleasantly surprised.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
This seems like a poison pill nomination to me.
Sandoval is rated A by the NRA. Forget the Repub fallout. The Dem backlash from such a nomination would be tremendous would it not?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
FIFY. I have as little interest in seeing some statist judge get nominated as I do seeing an anti-gunner. I don't know anything about Gov. Sandoval, but merely being "pro-gun" is not enough.
Normally I'd agree, but in this instance I'll take pro gun and keeping the court conservative. Lets be honest here. The R's running for president are killing themselves. They are providing the D's with so much ammo for the presidential run it's not even funny. The way it looks now it's going to be a Trump vs Clinton affair. As usual some R is going to run as an independent splitting the vote guaranteeing Clinton's win. I'd rather have a conservative appointed now then a complete moonbat liberal appointed later.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Sandoval is rated A by the NRA. Forget the Repub fallout. The Dem backlash from such a nomination would be tremendous would it not?
Yes, because if a republican is elected and any of the liberal justices expire or retire then the scotus would go totally conservative...this would not put libs in a good position fro a scotus perspective.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They could always spin it. Obama was willing to compromise and willing to reach across the aisle in the face of party opposition. Then he can be shown as one to try to bring the country together or some jazz like that.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
He is calling the R's bluff so to speak. If they said sure Barry, send us a nominee tomorrow and we'll start the meetings right away and get them confirmed before April Barry would nominate some transgender hippie communist muslim from Haiti or some crazy BS. He is only mentioning nominating a conservative to make the Rs look stupid for stonewalling. The Rs wrote the book on making themselves look stupid. They always open their mouths and back themselves in a corner. I hate to say it but Barry plays them like Big Blue playing a 4 year old in chess.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Normally I'd agree, but in this instance I'll take pro gun and keeping the court conservative. Lets be honest here. The R's running for president are killing themselves. They are providing the D's with so much ammo for the presidential run it's not even funny. The way it looks now it's going to be a Trump vs Clinton affair. As usual some R is going to run as an independent splitting the vote guaranteeing Clinton's win. I'd rather have a conservative appointed now then a complete moonbat liberal appointed later.
Eh, I'm a libertarian so I hate neo-cons as much as liberals, haha. I understand your point, but guns aren't the ONLY important issue out there. I don't want some strict conservative that believes national security trumps personal liberty or that supports the idea that some Christian sins should be illegal, just like I don't want some liberal that doesn't respect the Constitution.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
A moderate good on guns and other social issues would be great. The republican party deserves the flames its going down in. Unfortunately as usual, we are along for the ride.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I'm sure this is a trick and not going to happen. If he does get nominated, I sure hope he gets shoved through while there is still a conservative majority in the Senate.

My greatest fear is that Hillary will wind up with a Democrat majority who will exist only as a rubber stamp for her insanity.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I'm sure this is a trick and not going to happen. If he does get nominated, I sure hope he gets shoved through while there is still a conservative majority in the Senate.

My greatest fear is that Hillary will wind up with a Democrat majority who will exist only as a rubber stamp for her insanity.
Probably not a trick. A moderate is the only one that will get through. Likewise with social issues at the forefront its easy to see a more libertarian stance that is good on 90% of Obamas social issues as well as guns.

Mike

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Probably not a trick. A moderate is the only one that will get through. Likewise with social issues at the forefront its easy to see a more libertarian stance that is good on 90% of Obamas social issues as well as guns.

Mike

I have absolutely no problem with a Libertarian on the court. :)

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
The wave of Republicans were voted into office in 2014 to control the Senate and many governorships but they have forgotten why they were voted into these positions. We the People did this because we wanted to see them stand up to this traitorous president and knock him on his a$$, but unfortunately, the Republicans lost their nerve, as usual.

strangenh

NES Member
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
CNN: 'Neither Governor Sandoval nor his staff have been contacted by or talked to the Obama Administration regarding any potential vetting for the vacancy on the U.S. Supreme Court," according to a statement from Mari St. Martin, his communications director.'
http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/24/politics/obama-supreme-court-nominee/

It would be a wild move but it's probably not going to happen.

Top Bottom