Oath Keepers Introductory Meetup (02/13/13)

(note this is right on the Massachusetts border, off I-495 near Haverhill)

Oath Keepers Introductory Meetup (02/13/13)

Are you afraid of the government taking your guns away? You shouldn't be. Members of the Armed Forces and law enforcement have taken an oath of enlistment preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States (and all of its amendments). Politicians and other government officials take a similar oath of office. Sadly, not all of these individuals realize the importance of their oaths. Those who honor their sacred oaths would NOT obey orders to disarm the American people.

A representative from Oath Keepers, a non-profit, non-partisan association of currently serving military, peace officers, firefighters, and veterans who vow to fulfill their ‪oath of enlistment‬ to support and defend the Constitution will be speaking at the Plaistow Public Library at 7PM on Wednesday, February 13.

S.J. Forbes is a US Army veteran and the Oath Keeper State Coordinator for New Hampshire and Massachusetts. He's the founder and former president of the International Search and Rescue Corporation. Forbes is currently a Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) and American Red Cross Training instructor, and a K-9 handler / trainer.

The Oath Keepers use written and video testimony, and presentations like these of active duty military, veterans (especially combat vets), and peace officers to reach, teach, and inspire fellow compatriots to fulfill their oaths and stand as guardians of the Republic.

The "Nuremberg Defense" of "just following orders" is never acceptable. Stop in to hear a declaration of unconstitutional (and thus unlawful) orders that Oath Keepers will NOT obey.

The meeting in free and open to the general (civilian) public. Light refreshments will be served. Doors open at 6:45PM.

Last edited:
Good to hear. Thanks for letting us know. If anyone on here goes, it would be cool to have a video of the event to post here for the people who can't make it.

ok_zps22569ebe.jpg

February 13, 2013
Gun rights group meets in Plaistow

By Alex Lippa [email protected]

PLAISTOW — An organization that pledges to defend the Constitution is not typically who uses the meeting room at the public library.

But, having met all library policies, the New Hampshire Oath Keepers will hold at meeting there tonight.

“As long as they meet the criteria of being nonprofit, free and open to the public, we allow them to be here,” said Diane Arrato Kavrish, Plaistow Public Library director.

The Oath Keepers will be hosting their first meeting in the area. Members of the group have all taken pledges to preserve, protect and defend the U.S. Constitution. The group is primarily comprised of armed forces and law enforcement officials.

Shem Kellogg of Plaistow said the group is primarily focusing protecting their right to carry guns.

“I don’t think that individual rights are necessary policy decisions,” Kellogg said. “The right to bear arms is a natural right and I don’t think that rights can be voted away.”

Kellogg organized the meeting and said it will serve as a general introduction to the Oath Keepers’ beliefs.

“We are a group of people who take their oath to the Constitution seriously,” he said. “We try to reach out to other similar folks to spread that message.”

Lara Croft, administrative assistant at the library, said the library often sees a diverse number of groups meeting at the library.

“We get everyone from the Plaistow Republicans to Girl Scouts to knitting groups,” Croft said. “We don’t discriminate against any nonprofit groups.”

Bryan Doe, president of the Massachusetts Oath Keepers, has been with Oath Keepers since its inception in 2006. He speaks at many meetings around Massachusetts and hopes to help spread the word into New Hampshire.

“This isn’t just about gaining membership,” Doe said. “It’s a community of like-minded people who can get together, discuss and meet about these issues. We try to specifically reach, teach, and inspire active law enforcement veterans. These people swore an oath to the Constitution, so we just want to teach people about the oath they made.”

Doe said the group was formed after members witnessed many people having their guns taken away by law enforcement officials in the looting which followed Hurricane Katrina.

“This is not just about saying no to an order,” Doe said. “That’s not what happened during Katrina. The main premise is if an order is deemed unlawful, it’s our duty to stand down.”

The group has received more attention in recent weeks, since President Obama announced his proposal to restrict gun laws.

“That has given us more clout,” Doe said. “The average American may have came across our name a little bit more recently.”

As a result, the Oath Keepers have been gaining support and are also actively trying to influence state and federal gun laws..

“Not just conservatives are with us, we have influenced liberals as well,” Doe said. “We’ve had county sheriffs and lawmakers, who are Oath Keepers, drafting legislation.”

Kellogg said 50 people have already said they were attending the meeting on Facebook. He planned to put fliers up at shooting ranges, police stations and gun shops. He made it clear that the meeting is open to anyone.

“If there is anyone who objects to anything, they are certainly welcome,” Kellogg said. “Dissenters are welcome as well.”

The meeting will be held at 7 p.m. today at Plaistow Public Library, 85 Main St.

Gun rights group meets in Plaistow » New Hampshire » EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

Trying figure out why I have to promise to keep my promise, and pay a membership fee to give that second promise credibility.

Not that I don't agree with the premise. I might go and hear them out, but the phase "Oath Keeper" appears to me to be inherently redundant.

Trying figure out why I have to promise to keep my promise, and pay a membership fee to give that second promise credibility.

Not that I don't agree with the premise. I might go and hear them out, but the phase "Oath Keeper" appears to me to be inherently redundant.
I understand the concept of the group. It's to draw attention to the fact there are a bunch of trained, at least minimally, in the use of firearms that swore an oath to the constitution and intend to honor it. I also agree I shouldn't have to pay a fee to join. If "go time" ever actually happens the Oath Keepers may be on of the first steps in organizing an armed resistance. With all the talk of go time we hear on this forum how would these individuals actually get involved? There would have to be some sort of organization and Oath Keepers could be a jumping off point.

I will be there to hear them out if nothing else. I've taken the Oath twice and take it very seriously. I am not going to reaffirm that oath, but to network.

I think its more a matter of making sure that there are elected officials and police chiefs (who you better than I know are primarily political animals, not necessarily focused on rights and effectiveness) who know that they need to think about the lawfulness of orders they give, that there may be dissenters among their ranks.

Don

Silly question:

Do Selectmen in Massachusetts take an oath? Is that a state thing, or would it vary town to town? Can they be held to it? Are there consequences to not keeping it?

How can this whole concept in general even work, when people can't agree on what the 2nd or any other part of the US Constitution means?

Back
Top Bottom