• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NZ-Only 530 SA guns turned in, Officials Upset Over Conversion Kits Going Against ‘Spirit Of The Law

mikeyp

NES Member
I was hoping for some civil disobedience :confused:

Only 530 semi-automatic guns handed over, police say

New figures show gun owners are holding back on handing in their firearms, because they're waiting to hear how much the Government will pay for them

Figures released to Newstalk ZB by the New Zealand Police showed that, as of Sunday night, only 530 guns had been handed in since the ban on semi-automatic guns was finalised in early April.

There are around 250,000 licenced firearm holders in New Zealand and it's estimated as many as 300,000 guns could now be illegal.

It comes as gun owners are waiting on any details around compensation for their guns.

Police Minister Stuart Nash said in April that regulations, including a price list, would be considered by Cabinet by the end of May.

Nicole McKee, Secretary of the Council of Licensed Firearm Owners, told Heather du Plessis-Allan that there had not been any communication from Government about prices for the buyback.

"If they are being serious about their considerations and ensuring that there is fair and reasonable compensation, then firearm owners will wait a bit longer to make sure it is just and it is fair when it is received."

She said that people were likely to still be considering if they would claim their firearms as heirlooms or sell them to collectors.

McKee expected most people would comply with the laws, but she said that there was no trust in the system whatsoever among firearms owners, and that people felt blindsided and blamed.

"We are effectively being punished for the acts of a foreign terrorist, and we want to make sure that our personal and private property is adequately compensated when it is confiscated."

The semi-automatic weapon ban was instituted after 51 people were killed in mass shootings at two mosques in Christchurch.

Since they're dickering over the price they get for their guns, I wouldn't call it civil disobedience. It's no different than dealing with a prostitute or so I hear. The only unknown is the price. [laugh]

Since they're dickering over the price they get for their guns, I wouldn't call it civil disobedience. It's no different than dealing with a prostitute or so I hear. [laugh]

i know they're not I was hoping they were when I saw the title lol

I was hoping for some civil disobedience :confused:

Only 530 semi-automatic guns handed over, police say

New figures show gun owners are holding back on handing in their firearms, because they're waiting to hear how much the Government will pay for them

I nominate a $50 Target gift card, probably paid for by Target themselves. But I sure feel sorry for someone with a tricked out AR worth several thousand dollars.

Or maybe they are trying to play down the civil disobedience angle by saying that people are waiting on the prices to be set... Not that governments and media ever try to slant stories in their favor....

Or maybe they are trying to play down the civil disobedience angle by saying that people are waiting on the prices to be set... Not that governments and media ever try to slant stories in their favor....

Whatever it is we will never hear about it unless it fits the agenda. Full internet and media blackout is conveniently in place...

First - the article is loosely interpenetrating the actions - or rather lack thereof - of firearm owners. They are making the assumption it's a haggle over price issue when it could very well be a BIG FU issue. They may just not want to report/present it as such as it could encourage others to do the same.

This insanity started today:

New Zealand launches post-mosque attack gun buyback scheme | DW | 20.06.2019

The government hopes the gun buyback scheme will rid society of the rapid-fire type used in the white supremacist attack on two Christchurch mosques. A firearms spokeswoman says owners feel "ripped off."

Police minister Stuart Nash said NZ$208 million ($137 million, €121 million) had been set aside to compensate owners of military-style semi-automatic (MSSA) weapons.

"The buyback and amnesty has one objective — to remove the most dangerous weapons from circulation following the loss of life at Al Noor and Linwood mosques," said Nash, referring to the high-caliber bullets fired.

Owners have until December 20 to hand in the now prohibited weapons, receiving up to 95% of the wholesale price if new or near-new, 70% if used, and 25% for MSSAs in poor condition.

Beyond December 20, possession will be punishable by up to five years in jail.

Police have estimated that 14,300 such guns exist in New Zealand, where in total at least 1.2 million firearms are kept.

Given its population of near 5 million, that makes it the 17th highest rate of civilian firearm ownership in the world, according to the Small Arms Survey.

The recent law change also banned parts that convert firearms into MSSAs.
---------------
Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern called on her country to "be the nation that discovers the cure" to the irrational hate and fear thought to be behind the March 15 mosque attacks.

I predict very low compliance and not much in the way of cops raiding law abiding peoples homes out of an instinct for self preservation. Or if they do go door to door, they likely wont find what theyre looking for. Boating accidents and whatnot.

This insanity started today:

New Zealand launches post-mosque attack gun buyback scheme | DW | 20.06.2019

The government hopes the gun buyback scheme will rid society of the rapid-fire type used in the white supremacist attack on two Christchurch mosques. A firearms spokeswoman says owners feel "ripped off."

Police minister Stuart Nash said NZ$208 million ($137 million, €121 million) had been set aside to compensate owners of military-style semi-automatic (MSSA) weapons.

(snip)

Police have estimated that 14,300 such guns exist in New Zealand, where in total at least 1.2 million firearms are kept.

Am I doing the math right? is that really $9,500 / gun?

Am I doing the math right? is that really $9,500 / gun?
You are doing your math wrong.

$137M for 300K guns = $456.66 per gun.

Edit: I didnt read that only around 14K guns would be assault weapons.

My number is wrong.

It's always traveling liberals who screw up countries they landed in hoping to escape the mess they have created in their last place they've just left.

New Zealanders turn over guns after Christchurch mosque killings | DW | 13.07.2019

buy.jpg

Mike Johnson, the regional police commander, said 903 gun owners in the Canterbury area had registered 1,415 weapons to be handed in.

"Police recognize that this is a big change for the law-abiding firearms community. We are hearing really positive feedback from people as they come through today that they are finding the process works well for them," Johnson told media.

Ray Berard, who moved to New Zealand from Canada 25 years ago, told reporters that there was no place for military-style weapons in modern society.

"My wife is working as one of the project directors on the hospital rebuild. We were there on the day of the shooting and watched the 35-odd hearses leave the next day," Berard said after handing in an assault rifle. He said that a person can "do a lot of damage to a lot of people … if you are mentally unwell and you have a weapon that can shoot 100 rounds a minute."

Gun owners have until December 20 to hand in the now-prohibited weapons, receiving up to 95% of the wholesale price if new or near-new, 70% if used and 25% for MSSAs in poor condition.

Beyond December 20, possession will be punishable by up to five years in jail.

Let's see how many of those registrations are real vs. the massive internet trolling effort to submit phony ones.

I read an article this morning.

There’s some sort of sliding scale. One guy was interviewed saying he was happy because he got like 13k for one gun. Another guy was pissed because they offered him 150.

I don’t know whether that scale is published or they’ve got dealers there doing appraisals or what. But what I’ve read from their NRA equivalent is that owners are balky because they don’t yet know prices, which leads me to believe there are appraisers. Like, you show up and THEN they tell you.

There’s some sort of sliding scale. One guy was interviewed saying he was happy because he got like 13k for one gun. Another guy was pissed because they offered him 150.

I don’t know whether that scale is published or they’ve got dealers there doing appraisals or what. But what I’ve read from their NRA equivalent is that owners are balky because they don’t yet know prices, which leads me to believe there are appraisers. Like, you show up and THEN they tell you.

95% of the wholesale price if new or near-new, 70% if used and 25% for MSSAs in poor condition.

I would prefer for our commies to start with cows. They can use the same pricing scheme. Brown AOC should manage that confiscation. Her incompetence will get us some time to practice deep sea fishing and pack our bags for 5 years of vacation in a minimum security at taxpayer's expense.

iu

The headline in December will be "there has been a rash of boating accidents in New Zealand this month"

Go look at Post 18, I put a link to the payout list there.

Go look at Post 18, I put a link to the payout list there.

I saw that. What the locals are saying is that they’re not sure who decides what the “condition” is. They want to know before they go.

There was probably only a thousand guns to begin with so they got half compliance.[popcorn]

On a more serious note, its sad to see that there is ANY negotiations on price.......the people who are sitting back and waiting for a payoff are literally selling their liberty down the drain.

I saw that. What the locals are saying is that they’re not sure who decides what the “condition” is. They want to know before they go.

... and the fact that 95% of wholesale is the *MAXIMUM* is completely absurd.

for starters, a brand new mint condition gun would cost a lot more than wholesale.

If they really wanted compliance, they'd start with 120% of retail, regardless of condition, minimum. Documentation showing a higher retail would fetch 120% of that. If/when that didn't work, raise the price.

But it's not about compensation, (or even compliance), it's about punishment.

There was probably only a thousand guns to begin with so they got half compliance.[popcorn]

On a more serious note, its sad to see that there is ANY negotiations on price.......the people who are sitting back and waiting for a payoff are literally selling their liberty down the drain.

What liberty? MAKE NEW ZEALAND PENAL COLONY AGAIN![crying][puke]

Back
Top Bottom