• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NYT warns deadly proliferation ‘.50-caliber sniper rifles’ since expiration of AWB

[rofl].

Assault weapons were banned for 10 years until Congress, in bipartisan obeisance to the gun lobby, let the law lapse in 2004. As a result, gun manufacturers have been allowed to sell all manner of war weaponry to civilians, including the super destructive .50-caliber sniper rifle, which an 18-year-old can easily buy in many places even where he or she must be 21 to buy a simpler handgun. Why any civilian would need this weapon, designed to pierce concrete bunkers and armored personnel carriers, is a question that should be put to the gun makers who profit from them and the politicians who shamelessly do their bidding.

http://twitchy.com/2015/12/11/nyt-w...fles-since-expiration-of-assault-weapons-ban/

Looks like this will be my next project. Does anyone have any suggestions for a 50 cal?

That's a great idea. I don't have a 50cal yet and this article is just the thing to provide the motivation I need to fill that gap.

I love the question they ask over and over again....

Why do you need to have these weapons?

Answer:

Because I can!

'...gun manufacturers have been allowed to sell all manner of war weaponry to civilians, including the super destructive .50-caliber sniper rifle, which an 18-year-old can easily buy in many places even where he or she must be 21 to buy a simpler handgun.'

Seems they conveniently forgot to mention just how much these units cost, or even the rounds. Realistically, could an 18 year old (or most other folks) afford this? Perhaps if they mention the price range, reasonable folks would assume that these are being purchased by people of means or 'sporting organizations' and not 18 year olds??

Typical clown reporting.

How much effort and how much understanding does one need to read the AWB, the go to some manufactures website and look at the specs for the rifles? A 7th grader doing a school assignment could do this in 30 minutes on a computer.

All the lies and stupidity have killed the anti's credibility.

- - - Updated - - -

'...gun manufacturers have been allowed to sell all manner of war weaponry to civilians, including the super destructive .50-caliber sniper rifle, which an 18-year-old can easily buy in many places even where he or she must be 21 to buy a simpler handgun.'

Seems they conveniently forgot to mention just how much these units cost, or even the rounds. Realistically, could an 18 year old (or most other folks) afford this? Perhaps if they mention the price range, reasonable folks would assume that these are being purchased by people of means or 'sporting organizations' and not 18 year olds??

Has there ever been one used in a murder or crime? They are so rare and expensive, I'm not aware of any crimes commited with one.

Also, not exactly a light, easily movable rifle.

From the actual NYT article, the writer says that gun ownership and sports hunting have declined over the past few decades. What country is the writer referring to?

Across recent decades, gun manufacturers, facing a decline in general gun ownership as demographics shifted and sports hunting faded, have cynically created a domestic market for barely altered rifles and pistols developed for the military. These are weapons designed for the rapid spray-shooting of multiple enemy soldiers in wartime, not homeland civilians living in peace.

NYT warns deadly proliferation ‘.50-caliber sniper rifles’ since expiration o...

That settles it.

We need one the the vendors here to set up a 50 cal group buy!! If we are to be accused we should at least be guilty![smile]

That last group buy for uppers wasn't a huge price break .

To get the cost down we could get a run of barrel extensions and bolts made . I have the prints for simple single shot bolt action. The bolt is set up as a shell plate holder ( slides over the rim.

Barrels that are pre chambered are roughly 150$ . You would need to thread the chamber end . Screw on and pin the barrel extension setting head space or use a nut like savage . Use a ar15 trigger or make a striker .
They are fairly easy to make once you have the bolt and barrel extension made and you'll be well under 1k$ if we can get a 10-20 people so the machine shop gives a break on the bolt and extension .
I've had parts quoted and the cost of one of each was equal to doing a order of 10-20(I forget the qty)

You would need to have a friend with a lathe to thread the barrel then the rest of the gun can be made with basic hand tools.

I've seen the same plans scaled up for 20mm ;)

and i cant recall a single crime being committed with a .50 cal. Weird how that works. Its almost like, rifles and their ilk arent the chosen weapon for criminals....

- - - Updated - - -

From the actual NYT article, the writer says that gun ownership and sports hunting have declined over the past few decades. What country is the writer referring to?

its a lie anti gunners believe. They are constantly preaching how gun ownership is in decline because they believe the polls that mention household. They still dont grasp the concept that we now live in an age where multiple people in 1 home are gun owners. They also are far to sexist to grasp the notion that women are becoming gun owners at a huge rate.

The times editorial board has been blinded by obamas successful foreign policy the past 8 years.

Every time an Anti spouts off about the 50 BMG all I can think about is Armed and Dangerous.
[rofl]

John Candy as Frank Dooley said:
Yeah, it's a 50 caliber. They used to use it to hunt buffalo with... up close! It's only legal in two states. And this isn't one of them.

Why any civilian would need this weapon, designed to pierce concrete bunkers and armored personnel carriers, is a question that should be put to the gun makers who profit from them and the politicians who shamelessly do their bidding.

BFYTW.

I wish I had enough money to afford the ammo when I was 18.

The rifle is expensive, but it's not that bad. Shooting is the problem.

They also seem to forget that 18 year old can join the military , get their hands on a 50 - and blow shit up with them anyway.

So why does being 18 have anything to do with it?

All this dumbass reporter is pointing out is that an 18 year old can join the military (or be drafted if the politicians really screw up badly) - and get his dick blown off by an IED. But, when he comes back stateside with no dick - he won't even be able to go down to a bar and get a drink - and tell all his buddies over a beer that he's now dickless.

The reporter - and the politicians - are dumbasses.

Were 50BMG rifles even regulated by the '94-'04 AWB?

pistol grip: yes
semi-auto: ... sometimes

They don't (typically) have 11+round magazines
They don't have flash hiders (they clearly have muzzle brakes)
They don't have a bayonet mount
They don't have an adjustable stock
They don't have grenade launcher points

If people are asking this question it sounds like we need another Tactilite group buy. I could use something in .338 Lapua this time around.

Much better caliber. Cheaper to load for, but commercial ammo is still pretty pricey. Saw a box of Federal with Sierra 300 gr MK for $140 at Gander Mountain last week.

Were 50BMG rifles even regulated by the '94-'04 AWB?

pistol grip: yes
semi-auto: ... sometimes

They don't (typically) have 11+round magazines
They don't have flash hiders (they clearly have muzzle brakes)
They don't have a bayonet mount
They don't have an adjustable stock
They don't have grenade launcher points

AWB didn't cover .50 caliber rifles, you can buy those here in MA, if you're loaded.

To both of these, I can tell you that I saw a Barret 50 cal for sale in Middleton NY a few years ago at Gander Mountain. I don't remember if it was bolt or semi, but neither violated the AWB.

And, yeah guys, a few days from now I'll be the owner of a Rem 700 in 338 Lapua. I could justify the cost of a 50, almost went that way too. Just couldn't justify the cost of new equipment and supply upkeep to myself though. 338 Lapua I could, though. Besides, it's actually a better round in many ways, especially accuracy.

Back
Top Bottom