NYT-The next front for gun control is smaller bullets

New York Times: Next Front for Gun Control Fight Is Smaller Bullets

The NYT notes:

Over recent decades, the size of bullets fired by the typical handgun has increased. Changes in design have made it easier to fire big bullets from concealable weapons, and manufacturers have marketed more powerful guns as better tools for self-defense. In the 1970s and 1980s, the guns most commonly used in crime tended to be revolvers or small, inexpensive pistols that fired .22-caliber rounds, so-called for their 0.22-inch diameter.

These people are stupid.

Wow. Geeee I wonder what those revolvers were. .44/5 and .38 I'd bet.

Also, as to decreasing ammo diameters, my 1863 .58 says otherwise, and that's already a serious drop from the 1700s .75 Brown Bess.

ETA - in all seriousness, it's the gun control lobby that made it illegal to sell the "Saturday night special" cheap .38 revolvers and the pot-metal .22s the author seems to be waxing nostalgic about. But the fact is handgun death rates "per hit" are DOWN, not up, mostly because of advances in medical technology.

Original article: People Kill People. But the Bullets Seem to Matter.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Wow. Geeee I wonder what those revolvers were. .44/5 and .38 I'd bet.

Also, as to decreasing ammo diameters, my 1863 .58 says otherwise, and that's already a serious drop from the 1700s .75 Brown Bess.

ETA - in all seriousness, it's the gun control lobby that made it illegal to sell the "Saturday night special" cheap .38 revolvers and the pot-metal .22s the author seems to be waxing nostalgic about. But the fact is handgun death rates "per hit" are DOWN, not up, mostly because of advances in medical technology.

Original article: People Kill People. But the Bullets Seem to Matter.

C3306-E1-B-6-C24-424-F-AE3-B-5-BC1-F8-FEE417.png

Bob

We've all read some pretty stupid articles over the years and this one has to rank in the top 25 if not the top ten. According to the article, the .22 was the most popular caliber used in crimes? That is just pure unadulterated BS!

The article did settle the calibers wars though since it mentioned that even though the .45 and .357 were less popular than the .380, the .38, and the 9mm, they were among the deadliest percentage wise. [laugh]

" Over recent decades, the size of bullets fired by the typical handgun has increased." ...1911, as in the year.

I would argue that popular bullet size has decreased from .45 to .40 and to 9mm in recent decades.

and...Velocity be damned.

Nobody tell JAMA & NYT about my Five-seveN!
NYT said:
In Boston from 2010 to 2015, there were 221 gun homicides. Research suggests that one change could have lowered that number by 40 percent: smaller bullets.

A study last year, published in JAMA Network Open, examined the type of weapon used in every fatal and nonfatal shooting in the city. It found that — regardless of the time of day, the number of wounds or the circumstances of the crime — the size of the bullet affected which gunshot victims lived and which ones died.
Reading further down, by "small" they mean the silly calibers -- .22lr, .25, and .32:

JAMA said:
In all analyses, caliber was coded as either small (.22, .25, and .32), medium (.38, .380, and 9 mm), or large (.357 magnum, .40, .44 magnum, .45, 10 mm, and 7.62 × 39 mm).

Lol. 7.62x39 seems to be the "safest" in the above chart. 7.62x39 for everyone! [party]
And it is now mandatory to only shoot people in the Arms, Shoulders and Legs.
Preferably, all three...

Well it’s mag restrictions that drives some of this, if I’m limited to 10 rounds I go for the most powerful round that I can comfortably shoot well within that restriction. So here in Boston why carry a Glock 19 with 10 rounds of 9mm when I can carry a smaller gun with 10 rounds of .45 or 10mm?

Nobody tell JAMA & NYT about my Five-seveN!

Reading further down, by "small" they mean the silly calibers -- .22lr, .25, and .32:

It sounds to me like MA needs to make it easier to buy a .223 pistol since it is "smaller than .25 and .32. Healey should get to work on this ASAP!

They want folks to go back to smaller bullets?

Fine.....5.7 for everyone!!!

Let them eat cake!!!
Kills me that if I want to bring my FNH 5.7 to Boston I would need to buy a bunch of 10 round mags, better to keep it in PA.

Well it’s mag restrictions that drives some of this, if I’m limited to 10 rounds I go for the most powerful round that I can comfortably shoot well within that restriction. So here in Boston why carry a Glock 19 with 10 rounds of 9mm when I can carry a smaller gun with 10 rounds of .45 or 10mm?

This^

If they limited caliber, the next category they would go after is “Hyper Volicity” rounds... No one needs a pistol that shoots over 650 FPS... then it would be lead is an environmental issue so only copper polymer bullets that cost $30 a box are safe... then any semi auto, then any multi shot, then any center fire... and so on...

iu
iu

Rubber boolets would be good. Then you can shoot someone for cutting in line or parking in a handicap spot...

If they limited caliber, the next category they would go after is “Hyper Volicity” rounds... No one needs a pistol that shoots over 650 FPS... then it would be lead is an environmental issue so only copper polymer bullets that cost $30 a box are safe... then any semi auto, then any multi shot, then any center fire... and so on...

Already being done. Look at what the American College of Surgeons (ACS) is pushing. They want to reclassify semiautos and "high velocity" guns as NFA items.

ED2981D1-87A8-4FCB-9D12-BBFC47E0DFAF.jpeg

Already being done. Look at what the American College of Surgeons (ACS) is pushing. They want to reclassify semiautos and "high velocity" guns as NFA items.

View attachment 276945

Doctors telling me what I can do with my guns to prevent shootings is about as intellectually honest as the Catholic Church telling me what I can do with my penis to prevent sexual abuse

Back
Top Bottom