NYT: NRA Chief Told Trump to 'Stop the Games' on Gun Laws

Coda

NES Member
NRA confirms meeting took place, denies Wayne LaPierre offered 'special arrangements' to Trump

By Jenn Gidman, Newser Staff

Posted Sep 28, 2019 9:00 AM CDT

(Newser) – A scathing Senate report claiming the National Rifle Association acted as a "foreign asset" for Russia wasn't the only headline the gun lobby group ended up in this week. The New York Times reports that NRA chief Wayne LaPierre met with President Trump on Friday at the White House, and sources say the conversation they had on gun legislation took an interesting turn—specifically, on "whether the NRA could provide support for the president as he faces impeachment and a more difficult re-election campaign," as the paper words it. "Stop the games," LaPierre allegedly said to the president, which was inferred to mean Trump should cool it on trying to get any gun safety laws passed.

Politico reports that the original wording in the Times article, since updated, noted that LaPierre said if Trump did "stop the games," LaPierre would offer "financial support for the president's defense" against impeachment proceedings in return. The paper says "it was not clear whether Mr. Trump asked Mr. LaPierre for his support, or what that support would look like." The NRA confirms LaPierre and Trump got together Friday, but it's taking issue with the supposed details of the conversation. "The NRA is not inclined to discuss private conversations with the president," a spokesman said in a statement. "However, many of the accounts of the meeting, as reported in the New York Times, are inaccurate. The NRA categorically denies any discussion occurred about special arrangements pertaining to the NRA's support of the President and vice versa." (Read more NRA stories.)

"...LaPierre said if Trump did "stop the games," LaPierre would offer "financial support for the president's defense" against impeachment proceedings in return. "

So will Wayne be paying this out of his own pocket (LMAO!) or using NRA dues for yet another thing they weren't meant for?

“a legitimate news article ” is singular
I am no grammar cop, I was just confused and thought he might be saying that they finally printed a legitimate article. But I figured he just forgot the “not”….

I don’t read the NYT nor am I a fan. I just thought with all that is going on with the NRA these days that some people might have been interested in this article

I am no grammar cop, I was just confused and thought he might be saying that they finally printed a legitimate article. But I figured he just forgot the “not”….

I don’t read the NYT nor am I a fan. I just thought with all that is going on with the NRA these days that some people might have been interested in this article
I agree he probably forgot the "not". I was just being a smart-ass.

all though I am a member Im not to happy with how the NRA spends dues money sometimes.

I really do not want NRA funding POTUS I want funding to actually do something to protect further errosion of the 2nd. For one end compromise!

NRA calls me regularly and I fear the next time I I answer they will be looking for more money because the trade war with china has driven up the cost of the NRAs free China junk they need more money to offer more free shit!

Wayne!!! Stop spending the money on free shit prizes and fund something with it.

So the nra are Russian spy’s too? I voted for trump Am I a Russian spy? Hell im a life member of the NRA, maybe I’m a double agent and don’t know it.

NRA confirms meeting took place, denies Wayne LaPierre offered 'special arrangements' to Trump

By Jenn Gidman, Newser Staff

Posted Sep 28, 2019 9:00 AM CDT

(Newser) – A scathing Senate report claiming the National Rifle Association acted as a "foreign asset" for Russia wasn't the only headline the gun lobby group ended up in this week. The New York Times reports that NRA chief Wayne LaPierre met with President Trump on Friday at the White House, and sources say the conversation they had on gun legislation took an interesting turn—specifically, on "whether the NRA could provide support for the president as he faces impeachment and a more difficult re-election campaign," as the paper words it. "Stop the games," LaPierre allegedly said to the president, which was inferred to mean Trump should cool it on trying to get any gun safety laws passed.

Politico reports that the original wording in the Times article, since updated, noted that LaPierre said if Trump did "stop the games," LaPierre would offer "financial support for the president's defense" against impeachment proceedings in return. The paper says "it was not clear whether Mr. Trump asked Mr. LaPierre for his support, or what that support would look like." The NRA confirms LaPierre and Trump got together Friday, but it's taking issue with the supposed details of the conversation. "The NRA is not inclined to discuss private conversations with the president," a spokesman said in a statement. "However, many of the accounts of the meeting, as reported in the New York Times, are inaccurate. The NRA categorically denies any discussion occurred about special arrangements pertaining to the NRA's support of the President and vice versa." (Read more NRA stories.)

My Amherst "buddies" read this crap. I am really starting to think they can GFT as they are part of the problem. Voted for Hiliar for starters...

Back
Top Bottom