• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NYT editiorial on microstamping today

More than 1,000 murders have gone unsolved in New York over the past five years. Senators who oppose this bill will need to explain to voters why they would deny police departments critical information that would help apprehend murderers and other violent criminals.
TYPICAL.

Does this even work, even once?

Which is to say, let's pretend that all criminals only ever used automatics (never revolvers) and that they used guns that they bought from a store (so they're traceable to them), and they didn't modify the gun, and they did their crimes with the first through 10th bullet fired out of it ever.

Would law enforcement be able to read the micro stamping on the case? How 'bout if it's the 501-510th bullets?

I'm having trouble believing that it's a technology that works even in a lab, never mind in the real world where firing pins and barrels wear, get replaced, get modified, guns are stolen, etc.

One thing that really scares me is the idea of criminals breaking into a range at night and scooping up fistfulls of spent casings to spread at his next crime scene.

I hadn't even thought of that. That's a terrifying thought.

That is terrifying. I had not thought of that either. I wonder how this is working in California now? The author says this was implemented there already.

I also wonder how this impacts reloading. They say the firearm stamps the case so I really do not understand the details of the technology. Nor how reused brass would be impacted... or... not. If it is just the primer it would be easy enough. Legality though completely unknown. Also, what if you needed to replace the firing pin for some reason in your firearm.

What a mess this would be.

just use one of the many guns in existence that don't have this technology.

Or would they insist we all turn in what we already own?

I didn't read the article, did it mention how the guy that invented and has the patent on it is paying kickbacks to CA?

This terrifies me, not for any large philosophical gun-related reason, but just because it's so obviously a bad idea, yet it's gained so much traction on the far left.

One thing that really scares me is the idea of criminals breaking into a range at night and scooping up fistfulls of spent casings to spread at his next crime scene.

As many times as I've read of that potential scenario in other firearms related forums, I still find it highly unlikely that any thugs will be that industrious or creative. And if it did take place... the boneheads would probably empty a mag of .25 acp at their target and throw a handful of 9mm on the ground to confuse "the man"

The whole concept is BS anyways.

There are so many other flaws and git-arounds in the system that even the asshats pushing for the legislation have to know that it's useless.

It's not about solving crimes and catching criminals... it's about adding one more obstacle for firearms manufacturers and firearm owners to contend with.

As many times as I've read of that potential scenario in other firearms related forums, I still find it highly unlikely that any thugs will be that industrious or creative. And if it did take place... the boneheads would probably empty a mag of .25 acp at their target and throw a handful of 9mm on the ground to confuse "the man"

The whole concept is BS anyways.

There are so many other flaws and git-arounds in the system that even the asshats pushing for the legislation have to know that it's useless.

It's not about solving crimes and catching criminals... it's about adding one more obstacle for firearms manufacturers and firearm owners to contend with.

While some certainly are, many professional criminals are not idiots.

I have to agree, other than making money there is no upside to this for anyone. No possible way this could ever work let alone stand up in court. Horrible idea and even worse that some many support it.

It is a patented technology where someone is poised to make HUGE profits if it is mandated.

Do I need to go on?

The biggest problem I have with this nonsense: is that they guy who patented it didn't even produce a working prototype, so how did he get a patent?

So if the thugs start to use brass catchers, or steal a new gun after each murder, how will microstamping help?

Some criminals do catch their brass. It's not uncommon for an individual to wrap a plastic shopping bag around their gun to catch most or some of the brass. Probably not a fun way to shoot, but I guess it could be effective depending on the firearm used.

As for the stolen gun aspect, they wouldn't have to get a new stolen gun after each shooting or murder. Since most guns used in crimes are stolen anyway, microstamping will simply lead the police back to an unsolved break in at Joe Lawabider's house. The police will be no closer to catching the criminal than they were before microstamping was implemented.

Mircrostamping is not only expensive but is easily defeated (a firing pin can be replaced). The microstamp on the pin will also wear down after a while.

They don't want to pass this to fight or solve crimes. That's the spoonful of sugar for the uninformed masses.

They want to pass this to make the production and purchase of guns prohibitively expensive for the average non-criminal gun owner. Politically these bassards see it as a win-win.

Gun control is not a one-pronged attack on our rights. We are beset on all sides.

The biggest problem I have with this nonsense: is that they guy who patented it didn't even produce a working prototype, so how did he get a patent?

The same way all those software companies get a patent?

The gun lobby is pushing back hard. It predictably minimizes the public safety value of microstamping, claiming that criminals would file down all the markings.

Are they for real? The author(s) make no argument to the contrary?
Every criminal who plans to use his gun in a crime would destroy those microstamps with two strokes of a file. What public safety value could there be?

Use revolvers, invest in a Dremel, there's a bunch of ways for this to not work.
Including the reality that most "crime guns" are quite old... As the Boston Police Commissioner testified, the guns actually used in crimes are so-called "community guns" and are often passed around and used in multiple crimes and they are quite old (10-15+ years).

Even if this non-sense worked, there are multiple ways around it even after the decade+ it will take for guns with the technology to reach the majority of the criminal market.

I am not sure how we get the message across that criminals don't obey laws. It seems obvious enough, but clearly 3/4 or more of our various legislators don't get it.

The same way all those software companies get a patent?
A working prototype is not a requirement to obtain a patent. If that were the case, there would be many, many things in the USPTOs books that were invalid...

...I am not sure how we get the message across that criminals don't obey laws. It seems obvious enough, but clearly 3/4 or more of our various legislators don't get it.

There is only one way left, dear cekim. It is to have all the pinheads who come up with stupid ideas like this to become victims of the criminals they are ignoring.

Oh, wait, Sarah Brady didn't get it. My bad.

It's not about guns.

It's about control.

Does Mr. Politician care if a 16yr old "gang initiate" has his murder avenged? Hell no. He probably sleeps comfortably knowing there's one less potential "banger" out there. He wants votes. That's what they care about. Politicians are in it for the career and the cash. Period.

Back
Top Bottom