NYPD: To Serve and Protect. No, not really.

I could be wrong but im pretty sure the only time the police have a duty to protect you is if you are in their custody. Other than that they legally only need to bat clean up. Your protection is your responsibility.

Wow I saw this guy a while back on the tlc show new York ink....definitely a definitely a different side of the story

Was the cop black? I didn't get it from the video, but I thought he was.

Imagine if the victim was black, and the cop white, and looked like the victim.

So there it is.

Amazing video thank you for posting it..That man is a Hero, he saved his own life.

Part of the problem, as I see it, is that the Police are held up to be "special".

Part of the reason that they're "special" is that they have (from the point of view of a "civilian") a duty to protect us.

But, as a practical matter, they can't. In the vast majority of the cases, the cops are not on the other side of the door when the guy with the knife shows up. What, then, is their function?

It's apprehending the bad guy, after the fact. And, in so doing, preventing more badness from this bad guy.

Will a cop step up, and protect a non-cop as should (in the view of most) have been done in the video case? I'm sure many will. But it's a right place, right time, right person situation. Not all cops are the right person (just as in another thread, many said that they would not help a cop).

The "Protect" in the now-discounted motto does not mean "protect the individual" and it never has. It's "Protect society." Anything else is just not possible. Like a general who wins a battle, with 30% of his troops dead. He won, but the individual dead soldiers are still dead.

The idea that the cops (as a monolithic entity) are there to protect the individual is a myth, and one that the police have not been in a hurry to dispel - why should they? It benefits them for you to think that they're better than you.

It's a job. Not a calling. Few police officers have put on the badge with the plan to become a martyr. Many, I'm sure are in the job to "help" people, but just as some doctors, nurses, and other "special classes" are in it for the bucks and pension, so, too are some cops.

This video is outraging me! [angry] Horrifying, but still not surprising for NYC though. They have officers raping women escaping conviction.

I love how the second video talks about how cops should be held to a higher standard.

Last edited:
I am in NYC now working, by no means am I a cop basher. Like any walk of life theres good guys and not good guys.. We worked at Good Morning America this am and there were two cops inside I guess working a detail. A woman(I think she was a woman) and a guy with some major attitude. He had his hand on his gun the whole time(his holster didnt have strap over it so I politely tried to make conversation. I said kinda sucks what NY just did to law abiding gun owners huh? His response was "It is what it is" I was of course taken back but didnt say anything, then I asked what his service weapon is he carries(I couldnt tell from looking as Im not the most knowledgable guy on spotting guns) He literally looked at me and turned his back to talk to the I think female cop signifying that the conversation was over...so I just got up and left shaking my head. I see lots of police at concerts backstage and 80% of them are cool and will talk about anything gun related etc... But I hope the guy in this video gets his due respect and justice.

I am in NYC now working, by no means am I a cop basher. Like any walk of life theres good guys and not good guys.. We worked at Good Morning America this am and there were two cops inside I guess working a detail. A woman(I think she was a woman) and a guy with some major attitude. He had his hand on his gun the whole time(his holster didnt have strap over it so I politely tried to make conversation. I said kinda sucks what NY just did to law abiding gun owners huh? His response was "It is what it is" I was of course taken back but didnt say anything, then I asked what his service weapon is he carries(I couldnt tell from looking as Im not the most knowledgable guy on spotting guns) He literally looked at me and turned his back to talk to the I think female cop signifying that the conversation was over...so I just got up and left shaking my head. I see lots of police at concerts backstage and 80% of them are cool and will talk about anything gun related etc... But I hope the guy in this video gets his due respect and justice.

Indeed. There are plenty of cops that are great people and plenty, nationwide, are standing up against the anti 2A BS that's going on.

This video struck me though because it's NYC and is run by Bloomberg.

He would probably been shot a couple of times with others on the train if the cops did pull their guns

Back
Top Bottom