NYPD police chief commits suicide...

M1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
1 month from retirement? Your normalcy bias is off the charts.
Depression and PTSD don’t take a vacation and don’t go away because you are about to retire. In fact, for many, trying to figure what they will do with themselves once they are retired just adds to stress.

What evidence is there of a conspiracy? Seriously, what evidence do you have. A cop committed suicide late in his career. That happens.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
There are guys who do certain jobs that, for whatever f***ed up reason, want to basically die in their office, their job becomes everything. I have a few 78+ year old users at work who are basically senile and should have retired like 10 years ago but management lets them hang around because they'd probably hang themselves if forced into retirement. They can't even remember their passwords not even if written down. We help them because we feel bad for them but the whole thing is pretty sad. Even more sad is several of them are loaded, it's not like they "needed" to stay to make ends meet.... Admittedly one of them lost his wife a few years ago, so I think he keeps working as a coping thing, but still...

-Mike

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
Depression and PTSD don’t take a vacation and don’t go away because you are about to retire. In fact, for many, trying to figure what they will do with themselves once they are retired just adds to stress.

What evidence is there of a conspiracy? Seriously, what evidence do you have. A cop committed suicide late in his career. That happens.
Yeah, And society is pushing jobs off on the Police they are not trained or equipped to handle. Mentals out on the street and the Opioid crisis being two examples. Not to mention working a lot of OT to make ends meet.

Don’t know the guy or anything about him, but it’s always sad.

mibro

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Are there large swaths of retirees offing themselves?
I knew a guy who knew a guy who did actuarial work for IBM back in the stone age. According to my friend the life expectancy of a retired IBM executive back then was three years.

That number seems unlikely to me, way too low, but there's some truth behind it.

The Japanese call the secret to a long life ikigai. Ikigai loosely translated means having a purpose and the concept can encompass just about anything. Retired people without ikigai do not live nearly as long.

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 98%
48   1   0
I knew a guy who knew a guy who did actuarial work for IBM back in the stone age. According to my friend the life expectancy of a retired IBM executive back then was three years.

That number seems unlikely to me, way too low, but there's some truth behind it.

The Japanese call the secret to a long life ikigai. Ikigai loosely translated means having a purpose and the concept can encompass just about anything. Retired people without ikigai do not live nearly as long.
I agree with this. I saw this with my own Grandfather. He had no outside interests and within a year after being forced by his Sons to retire from his one-man auto body business, he suddenly died. He hadn't been sick, no medical issues.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
John Perkins: Economic Hitman. Great eyeopener.
So he's retiring, average health, & on about 100k retirement & bennies and kills himself ?

Makes sense to me. [thinking] /not.

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
John Perkins: Economic Hitman. Great eyeopener.
So he's retiring, average health, & on about 100k retirement & bennies and kills himself ?

Makes sense to me. [thinking] /not.
Life always looks great when you are on the other side looking over.

How many times do we hear of people that have millions, they can sit around for the rest of their lives, have almost anything they could ever want or need, but end up killing themselves?

It is no different here.

If someone wanted to kill him, why now? Why not a year ago? Or 5? ... why do it when it will look suspicious? ... why not wait until after retirement and make it look like a suicide in his retirement home?

Too many questions.

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
There are guys who do certain jobs that, for whatever f***ed up reason, want to basically die in their office, their job becomes everything. I have a few 78+ year old users at work who are basically senile and should have retired like 10 years ago but management lets them hang around because they'd probably hang themselves if forced into retirement. They can't even remember their passwords not even if written down. We help them because we feel bad for them but the whole thing is pretty sad. Even more sad is several of them are loaded, it's not like they "needed" to stay to make ends meet.... Admittedly one of them lost his wife a few years ago, so I think he keeps working as a coping thing, but still...

-Mike
I work with a couple of people that are grandparents now. 22 years at the company. They are not managers but they are always sending Emails on Saturdays and Sundays. At 1pm, 5pm, 10pm ... we decided to play a game and take a shot whenever they sent an Email on Saturday after 6pm. It wasnt long before I decided I had to stop because it was a bad idea.

Some people just never stop.

HARRYM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suicide is one of the leading causes of death in the US. 0.015% of the US population take themselves out every year. So 15 suicides per 100,000. Unless police exceed 15 suicides per 100,000 police their rates would be the same across the US demographics.

Top Bottom