• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NYPD Brags on Twitter of Major Pot Bust that Turned out to be Legal Hemp

Sorry, but this is a fail for both the NYPD and especially FedEx and their driver. While NYPD might be justified in holding the shipment until they could confirm that it was legal, the FedEx driver was a complete tool for reporting it to the police in the first place. The cops should have held off on bragging about their “big bust” until they were sure that it wasn’t hemp. After all the company was called Green Angle CBD, so one would expect them to be receiving shipments of hemp (how else will they produce CBD oil?). Similarly the driver was making a delivery to a CBD company, so again, you’d hope he/she would be clever enough to expect them to be receiving hemp shipments.

What really get’s me is FedEx as big brother. When I think about the amount of guns (yes guns, I’m a regular customer of the CMP and they ship all their M1 Garands direct to your home via FedEx), gun parts and ammo I’ve received via FedEx, I really don’t like the idea of their drivers monitoring all my shipments and then deciding if and when they should report some “suspicious” activity to the authorities.

So, I'm pretending I'm a cop and I see the shipment is for Green Angel CBD. Let's see, I'll do this now, pull out my phone and type "green angel cbd"... wow, this is difficult... .anyway, first match is surprisingly enough for:

I didn't even need to scroll. I click on that, and it says in giant letters
"
Green Angel CBD For Sale In New York City
100% ORGANIC CBD PRODUCTS
"

Well, I suppose it could just be throw me off and it really is pot. I click further and I see nothing but CBD based products here. Logic should tell you that if this company was secretly converting weed to oil and selling it as hemp based, that it would be immediately obvious by people trying to use it, and a single lab test by anyone would show something isn't quite right. And, they would immediately be out of business and in jail.

But yeah, let's just take all their legal safe product anyway, because drugs!

:rolleyes:
It's a failure of the system, all around.
This stuff is new.
Cops didn't have enough training, or simply followed what they knew.
Imperfect protocols in place.
...and yes, of course, the Fedex driver is a douche.

After reading the article, looks like the farmers had their poop together and the proper documentation.
I'm guessing the NYPD is going to pay a hefty reimbursement to these guys.

By the way, I just checked and the twitter post is STILL there. And, it has 354 likes, far more than any of their other recent posts some of which involve real crime. Statists just love to state. "Horray! The good police saved us from the pot! Yeah!! Good job!"

I can't check the comments because I'm banned from twitter and that requires an account.

What do they usually do when the find 106 pound of weed? Tell you to go home and they’ll get back to you after the labs are in? That could be days in some cases. The NYPD street level test will show positive for thc, because there’s thc in hemp(though in very small amounts), thus the arrest. Is it an optimal system? Nope, but it’s protocol. If cops broke protocol in a firearms case you’d be up in arms. Cops don’t get to do what they feel is right, even if it obviously is.
it's not weed, it's hemp which is a legal product that had all of the proper and legally required paperwork with it. End of story.
By your logic, why wouldn't a truckload of actual talcum powder be seized every time such a truck is pulled over? I mean it could be coke right? It might be coke packaged as talcum...best for the police to just seize the truck, arrest the driver, and figure it all out later....just to be sure.

I don't think there is any street level test for THC maybe IDK...this shit had less than .3% thc which is likely waaaaaaaaay below any crude street level test, assuming such a test even exists.

Meh, they don’t know the difference(how could they?). One could put false lab results in a box containing high THC weed. Of course they want to use a different lab to test it. They’re not just going to go with a piece of paper and a hearty “it’s just hemp bro I swear”

Edited to add...That fed ex driver is a rat though.

It was certified by a 3rd party lab with no dog in this fight and everything to loose. Why would a co. that gets a few bucks for testing risk their entire business by putting bullshit results in the box. [rolleyes]

all charges dropped. he's going after them for damages

Wow, it only took them 5 weeks to figure out hemp is not pot. I guess that's actually faster than they usually take. But still, that's 5 weeks of doubling down on their doubling down insisting that they're in the right, despite overwhelming massive obvious incontrovertible evidence to the contrary. And, something I readily figured out in minutes just by doing a web search on the company names and using logical thinking. I guess their laptops in the cruisers don't have google or something.

Cops don’t get to do what they feel is right, even if it obviously is.

Uhh, yeah they do, actually. Quite a bit. It's called "discretion". Especially when it comes to malum prohibitum bullshit. We're not talking about rape, theft of tangible property, assault,
murder, etc here... there's no imminent public safety risk to letting this guy go.

Even in this case a far "less shitty" thing would have been to hold back like 5 pounds of hemp and just give them the rest of it and send them on their way. If it really tested hot then they can go full retard, blah blah blah. A quick background investigation would probably show that this guy wasn't going anywhere.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom