• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NYC Subway random bag searches

Admin

Staff Member
Administrator
NES Member
You know when this guy looked in the mirror before he left for work he said "Man I have no shot at making it through the check point."

top.subway.turban.ap.jpg

derek said:
You know when this guy looked in the mirror before he left for work he said "Man I have no shot at making it through the check point."

As well he shouldn't have!

I know people will scream racism to that picture but think about it, if you watched that guy walk right through the police and got onto you train car with an unchecked back pack, what would you do?

C-pher said:
Yea, I do have to admit. When I was flying right after 9-11, I had some on one of my flights.

I'm not ashamed to admit...I was running though my head what I was going to do if he got out of hand, or tried something.

You have every reason to think that.

C-pher said:
Yea, I do have to admit. When I was flying right after 9-11, I had some on one of my flights.

I'm not ashamed to admit...I was running though my head what I was going to do if he got out of hand, or tried something.

I flew about 2 weeks after 9-11-01
I sat down in my seat, and there was a couple next to me. The husband (a guy about my size) leans forward and looks past his wife. I looked at him, we both looked at the middleastern man boarding the flight, look back at each other and silently nodded in agreement that we would NOT let anything happen on that flight.

I'm not ashamed to admit it. Profiling (I didn't say racial profiling) but ALL profiling is something that we all do. It is a basic task of those who will survive, to keep themselves safe.

Adam

Profiling has it's advantages and disadvantages.

Remember the "Beltway Sniper"?

LEOs were looking for "a white man in a white van". If they weren't profiling, they would have found the real perp's a lot sooner. But since 2 Black guys in a Chevy Caprice didn't fit the profile, they were never searched.

The bottom line? It's good to use to pay closer attention to added possible suspects. It's bad to use to eliminate possible suspects.

Grifter said:
I know people will scream racism to that picture but think about it, if you watched that guy walk right through the police and got onto you train car with an unchecked back pack, what would you do?

Be thankful that they can tell the difference between Indian and Arabic turbans? [wink]

For those that fly and wish they could bring something with them for protection...

1 golf ball
1 pair of long stockings

Carry them in your carry on - should something happen, drop golf ball into stocking and start swinging over head. It could very well crack bone mass when it makes contact...and iffn you're REAL lucky, brain mass will spill out.

If you're asked about the golf ball during a search - it's your lucky golf ball and you never leave home without it. Everyone brings a change of undies in their carry on (just in case), so socks won't raise any eye brows.

DR said:
Grifter said:

Be thankful that they can tell the difference between Indian and Arabic turbans? [wink]

But isn't that a Sikh? They're Indian. Nice guys. In NYC they have a festival where they feed thousands of people for free. Doesn't matter if you're Sikh or not.

Oh- and before anybody begins to wonder, I think racial profiling is a useful tool. I just think they were profiling the wrong guy in that pic.

But I could be wrong, I'm not an expert.

hey like many have said, we've ALL profiled, and been profiled. Why else do you wair a suit to a job interview? And any man who has daughters here has the profile of man who he'll bury in the backyard if his daughter brings him home.

Hey before I grew my beard I looked a LOT like Tim McVeigh. If somebody wanted to search me because I looked a LOT like that sketch that was in the papers, I'd APRICIATE it done! Just like I apriciate EVERY time I have to show my ID when going into a bar, or my LTC when buying guns and ammo.

Much better to be profiled, than to have anarchy.

And remember, race is really based soley on appearence, wich is the easiest and most unobtrusive way to profile a large group.

Imagine having to give a blood or tissue sample at the airport because a suspected terrorist was type AB Pos?

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard

SiameseRat said:
But isn't that a Sikh? They're Indian.

Well, the turban looks correct from what I can see... but isn't his beard a little short? Are Sikhs allowed to cut their beard? I seem to remember that they're not allowed to cut their hair...

But isn't that a Sikh?

Yeah, some Sikhs I know have had problems since 9/11. I don't really know how to tell the difference between a Sikh and a Muslim. I know that a) it's good for the US that Sikhs are immigrating here, since the ones I've met are honest and hard-working and b) they've been sort of screwed by the newfound public distrust of beared men in turbins.

That being said, I can't easily tell the difference and I'm all for the cops searching the man in the picture.

Sikhs are supposed to carry a sword at all times. Modern, western Sikhs just wear a tiny replica on a chain around their necks. I wonder what airlines did about that after 9/11?

Back
Top Bottom