NY Subway workers off the hook

pdm

NES Member
WHO NEEDS A GUN — THE GOVERNMENT WILL PROTECT YOU:

A Queens judge ruled yesterday that subway employees do not have to do anything but pick up their phones if they see a crime — as he threw out a suit against the MTA and two workers who did nothing more to stop a rape.

A conductor saw the rape from the window on his train, and a station agent in the booth witnessed a screaming woman being dragged down a staircase inside the desolate 21st Street station of the G line. But neither one left the safety of their assigned posts to help her.

In a previous day, in a different culture, such men would have been afraid of being called cowards for failing to help a woman under such circumstances. Nowadays, they’re probably proud of acting “sensibly.” (For the record, the story says their names are Harmodio Cruz and John Koort.) And in a different world, Judge Kevin Kerrigan would have been ashamed to describe picking up a phone as “prompt and decisive action.” But he probably thinks it is.

Eric Holder talked about a “nation of cowards.” This is the real thing.

H/T to Instapundit

what a mess.

i bet those two a**h***s don't have any familiy that loves them, hence they could not relate and grab their non-existent balls.

IMO, they are just as guilty as the attacker, but this is the world we live in.

Self Help or Sense of Community is NOT good....

-sad

Edit: thinking about this a little more, I'm curious why she sued anyone in the first place. those two wussies did NOT have a duty to act whatsover.

-sad x 2

Last edited by a moderator:
They had a duty as (presumptive) human beings. I can cut a meat popsicle a break, but that's it. I couldn't have lived with myself if I did nothing.

They should be off the hook, as I do not think you should be legally obligated to do any more than they did. That said, if it was me, I may not feel any legal obligation, but as a human being I would feel a moral obligation to stop it, even if I thought harm might come to me.

If I saw a kid stuck in a burning building, I'd feel the need to help as well. I also have been known to occasionally help little old ladies across the street.

They should be off the hook, as I do not think you should be legally obligated to do any more than they did. That said, if it was me, I may not feel any legal obligation, but as a human being I would feel a moral obligation to stop it, even if I thought harm might come to me.

If I saw a kid stuck in a burning building, I'd feel the need to help as well. I also have been known to occasionally help little old ladies across the street.

My "sad face", see above, is not because I think that these men should be legally obligated to help. It is because they didn't.

Dude. Where's my country?

Maybe they were afraid the rapist had a gun since pretty much everyone in New York has a gun except for the law abiding citizens.

It's the nature of the society we now live in. Look at the kid from the fast food place that intervened in a domestic dispute at his place of work, Kid ended up wounded, no insurance, Workmans Comp denied the claim saying that what he did, however noble, was outside of the scope of his employment.

I can tell you the T has a similar policy as far as getting out of the seat and playing hero. Once you get out of the seat, you are toast.

I went after a guy that groped a woman on the red line once when I was in transit from Ashmont to Cabot Garage. The Motorman came out and backed me up, but I made myself real scarce once the cops showed up. I broke up a fight on a school trip one time, some big kid was head butting a smaller kid into the standee poles. I had to call in a lot of favors to make that go away.

Out of uniform... it's fun time trust me. The only time I ever cleared leather was on an orange line train on my day off.
But while in uniform anything we did on or off the clock was putting our necks in the noose.

It's pretty sick that people are more afraid of the potential legal consequences of helping their fellow man, rather than any physical harm that might befall them for helping.

This seems to be plauging humanity lately.

Remember the gentlemen in CT who got struck by a car and everyone just drove around him in the road. Or I think NYC some lunatic beat his gf to death in the middle of a crowded intersection with a baseball bat and not one person tried to stop him. And then there was a girl last year at a shopping mall running around screaming for help and no one helped her as a guy dragged her through the parking lot and threw her in a car, this was all captured on security video.

Back
Top Bottom