NY State Gun Laws for Non-residents

Glockster30

NES Member
Outside of maybe hunting or trap shooting, I cannot find a NY law that prevents a non-resident from having an unloaded pump shotgun in their car. Also, NYS residents outside of NYC are not required to have a license to buy or own a pump shotgun as long as the barrel is =/>18" and the shotgun is =/>26", so does anyone know if this applies to non-residents or does FOPA override this?

The only other thing I can find is that:
New York prohibits a person from storing or leaving out of their possession a firearm in a vehicle without ensuring that it is unloaded and securely locking it in a safe storage depository out of sight from outside of the vehicle. Jan 5, 2023

I wouldn’t stop in NY or NJ with a fire arm. Period. Not even for a hunting trip where I was guaranteed a kill. Not a great idea.

I have had plenty of interactions with NY DEC officers ( game wardens with police powers) with uncased unloaded rifle sitting next to me front seat in the truck. All the seem to care about is it being unloaded. I don't bring hand guns or my AR into NY. This is also in the Adirondacks not down state. I have seen open carry a few times and General store and gas station nobody seemed to care.

I have had plenty of interactions with NY DEC officers ( game wardens with police powers) with uncased unloaded rifle sitting next to me front seat in the truck. All the seem to care about is it being unloaded. I don't bring hand guns or my AR into NY. This is also in the Adirondacks not down state. I have seen open carry a few times and General store and gas station nobody seemed to care.

From what I can understand about NY's convoluted gun laws are that they don't appear to define non-semiautomatic rifles and pump shotguns as firearms (other than in NYC).

Back
Top Bottom