• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NY recording info from ammo sales

AAA Police Supply used to pull that shit. I think they folded or are by appointment only.

I am old enough to remember when it was required in Massachusetts. It didnt take long before it went away. Ammunition logs are pretty useless and generate a crapload of records pretty fast.

Bob

Last edited:
I am old enough to remember when it was required in Massachusetts. It didnt take long before it went away. Ammunition logs are pretty useless and generate a crapload of records pretty fast.

Bob
I always lived in MA, but on the border with NH. In my many decades of owning guns, I never had to deal with recording an ammunition purchase or a gun purchase for that matter. I paid cash for the ammunition and guns, filled out ATF yellow form and went home. Very easy. Never had a problem.

I always lived in MA, but on the border with NH. In my many decades of owning guns, I never had to deal with recording an ammunition purchase or a gun purchase for that matter. I paid cash for the ammunition and guns, filled out ATF yellow form and went home. Very easy. Never had a problem.

I was a long time ago. whether You paid cash or credit didn’t matter. They used keep the log by the cash register. It was probably back in the early to mid 80’s. I’m sure that there are others that remember it as well.

Bob

I have some local logs from the 70's that have pages of ammo sales, with type, quantity, name and address.
I was a long time ago. whether You paid cash or credit didn’t matter. They used keep the log by the cash register. It was probably back in the early to mid 80’s. I’m sure that there are others that remember it as well.

Bob

GCA68 had the ammo recording requirement. It was such a voluminous paperwork nightmare the ATF asked Congress to repeal it in the 70s.

I remember the old ammunition log books in MA. A lot of that can be done automatically, like it isn't already, due to everything being computer based and an overactive government dick as I wouldn't put it past them.

This part always intrigues me: "And there are some quirks now, such as getting ammunition for shotguns and rifles that do not require owner permits unless they are semi-automatic weapons." It's like buying ammunition at Wal-mart. They would classify a caliber like 44 mag to "pistol" ammunition only and .22LR to rifle ammunition. In the same light, I guess there are no bolt actions in 5.56/.223 or even in 50 BMG. If I'm not required a permit, if what I'm buying is somehow verboten is it as in Wal-marts case, based on caliber.

In truth, I really don't want to know. MA laws are confusing enough but NY's are beyond the word incomprehensible and I'm not going to devote burning up what few brain cells I have left trying to unwind their version of the Gordian Knot.

Back
Top Bottom