• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NY proposing BAD THINK - NO GUN FOR YOU law...

allen-1

NES Member
Lawmakers Drafting Bill That Would Allow Social Media Checks Before Gun Purchase

Two New York lawmakers are working to draft a bill that would propose a social media check before a gun purchase.

Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams and state Sen. Kevin Palmer’s proposal would allow authorities to review three years of social media history and one year of internet search history of any person seeking to purchase a firearm.

dupe

NY-Lawmakers Drafting Bill That Would Allow Social Media Checks Before Gun Purchase

This isn't 1995 where people had at most one computer that was the size of a kitchen, equipped with one web browser. What browser history do they want to look at? Your phone(s), tablet(s), laptop(s), TV(s), car(s)? Hell, refrigerators have web browsers now. Are they going to swing by your house and check those too?

Cell phone traffic and all internet traffic originating from your house would suffice. They don't need physical access to each device.

So, how would they pull this off? Ask the NSA to hand over all the data they collected?

Lawmakers Drafting Bill That Would Allow Social Media Checks Before Gun Purchase

Two New York lawmakers are working to draft a bill that would propose a social media check before a gun purchase.

Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams and state Sen. Kevin Palmer’s proposal would allow authorities to review three years of social media history and one year of internet search history of any person seeking to purchase a firearm.

They should institute this for any politician at any level, who wants to run for office or retain their position.

Doesn't New York PD have the Pre-Crime Division staffed with pre-cogs yet?

Furthermore, the desire to own a gun should disqualify someone from such, as it shows an intent. So much more efficient?

Like Rob stated, run a vpn, no real names, have a it.

My wife surfs knitting and French Bulldogs, all my work stuff is on corporate vpn, private stuff on Nord VPN.

I think the intent is to discourage you from even applying, not to actually investigate you.

Or, be able to claim Gun Control victory by "doing something" even if just idle threats that no one wants to challenge (a la Healey).

One word: VPN. They can’t track what they can’t see.

That depends. I only use a VPN for very specific uses. If someone just uses VPN to connect to one of the Big Data sites like Gmail, Google or Facebook, they are doing something utterly pointless... The "authorities" will just collect the data at the other end and it makes no difference that you hid the traffic on the way there.

So how do they get access to "search history" without executing a warrant? Because google or whoever will just give it to them?

"Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams and state Sen. Kevin Palmer’s proposal would allow authorities to review three years of social media history and one year of internet search history of any person seeking to purchase a firearm."

Absent a warrant, wouldn't they have to get someones consent? Who is to say that
if within that framework, someone doesn't just alter the data exposed to the
authorities?

Sounds like "let's pass a law that deters any normal person from trying to
comply with it, to act as an obstruction".

-Mike

Eric Adams, one of the sponsors of this nonsense, is a retired police captain who is licensed to carry a gun in NYC as he is an ex-police officer. He recently announced he will be carrying a concealed weapon whenever he enters a "house of worship", presumably as a result of the Pittsburgh shooting (NYT 10/28). Yet another tiresome example of "do as I say not as I do"

dupe

NY-Lawmakers Drafting Bill That Would Allow Social Media Checks Before Gun Purchase

This isn't 1995 where people had at most one computer that was the size of a kitchen, equipped with one web browser. What browser history do they want to look at? Your phone(s), tablet(s), laptop(s), TV(s), car(s)? Hell, refrigerators have web browsers now. Are they going to swing by your house and check those too?

If you have a Gaagle account and typically use their browser, your search history will be integrated for multiple devices.

So how do they get access to "search history" without executing a warrant? Because google or whoever will just give it to them?

"Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams and state Sen. Kevin Palmer’s proposal would allow authorities to review three years of social media history and one year of internet search history of any person seeking to purchase a firearm."

Absent a warrant, wouldn't they have to get someones consent? Who is to say that
if within that framework, someone doesn't just alter the data exposed to the
authorities?

Sounds like "let's pass a law that deters any normal person from trying to
comply with it, to act as an obstruction".

-Mike

They would probably require consent from the purchaser in order to get approval to purchase.

Eric Adams, one of the sponsors of this nonsense, is a retired police captain who is licensed to carry a gun in NYC as he is an ex-police officer. He recently announced he will be carrying a concealed weapon whenever he enters a "house of worship", presumably as a result of the Pittsburgh shooting (NYT 10/28). Yet another tiresome example of "do as I say not as I do"

Great, an armed NYC cop surrounded by innocent civilians, just what we need in a mass shooting. "An ex NYC police officer returned fire on the shooter, injuring 15 bystanders."

Back
Top Bottom