NY: possession of 5 empty 30-round clips for AR-15... up to 35 years in prison

sorry if dupe

A Line In The Sand?
The case of Nathan Haddad should boil the blood of any good American. A twelve-year veteran of the Army, with four deployments, is a decorated combat veteran and now, probably, a felon. His crime: possession of five empty 30-round clips for an AR-15. The clips were stowed in the trunk of his car at the time of a traffic stop.

This is why, even though one is a law-abiding citizen, never talk to police officers and never give them permission to search your vehicle without a warrant describing in detail the area to be searched and the things to be seized. As Haddad found out, assuming that he did give permission to search his vehicle, thinking himself to be innocent of any crimes, now faces up to 35 years in prison, 7 years for each clip.

In legalese, they will probably give him something like 30 days if he pleads guilty to a felony, after which he will not be able to legally own a weapon, or even have access to a weapon for the rest of his life. This is called manufacturing a felony and the only reason to do so is to disarm as many people as possible by trumping up charges and pumping up sentences to frighten them into pleading to something that should be thrown out of court the minute the charges are brought. In the old days, when disarmament was not the goal, these things were always plead down, not up, for first time offenders.

I had a few minutes to speak with Michael Haddad, Nathan's brother, who has started a legal defense fund. I have promised to contribute as much as I can afford and to encourage others to contribute. Michael, like his brother, is a good person just trying to help out. He stressed, however, to wait until after February 20th before doing anything other than contributing to the legal defense of this disabled veteran. The reason is to see if the legal system will take a no-nonsense approach to this issue. If they do not, we need to be prepared to unleash the hounds. I know that William Jacobson of Legal Insurrection has offered his services to aid Nathan's attorney should the state prefer to go the wrong way in this case. Kudos to Mr. Jacobson.

Nathan, like most of us, just want to get the charges dropped or reduced at this time. But, Upstate New Yorkers need to be taking heed of this case. The object right now is to let the legal system correct itself and do the right thing. There is an "or else" side to it that must be reigned in for the time being.

However, it was interesting that while looking up this case on the Internet I discovered this little article about the Jefferson County Sheriff's Department.

While I believe this is a line in the sand that will test the resolve of the patriot/liberty movement in days to come, we need to keep our powder dry and send a few bucks to the legal defense fund set up by Michael Haddad.

There has been a lot discussed on this blog about good cops and bad, Oathkeepers and oathbreakers. Inevitably the issue of who is good and who is bad and how can the good cops help out without sacrificing their pensions and jobs. I am sympathetic to their point of view as I am not willing to throw my life down the drain for some unseen, unheard of sacrifice that inspires no one but the bad cops to get worse.

But here is a classic example. Had the cop not looked in the trunk. Had the cop done his job and written the ticket instead of pushing for more and more access to search the vehicle, this would not be an issue today. If the cop had found the magazines, recognized that they were not loaded and warned Nathan that it was illegal to own them, but that as a good cop, perhaps an Oathkeeper, he would look the other way in the interest of his Constitutional obligation, this would not be an issue and Nathan would not be fighting for his freedom.

Instead, we have a twelve-year decorated war veteran thrust before the legal system of New York, with no money to pay for the type of legal counsel provided to David Gregory, who violated the same law after being informed by the D.A. that it was illegal to have such a magazine in the District of Columbia and that the law was clear. David Gregory got nothing. The D.A. refused to bring charges.

Let's see if Nathan Haddad is afforded the same type of justice that a white, rich, liberal with a television news program can expect. If anything Gregory should have had the book thrown at him because he had inquired of the D.A.'s office and they told him it would be a violation of the law. That, friends is corruption, open and brazen.

news story: LeRay Man Faces Weapons Possessions Charges | WWNY TV 7 - News, Weather and Sports for | Local News

The mags in question must have been Post-Ban. NYS kept the ban, as did MA, when it sunseted.

Did he have a gun permit? If he did then there should be 1 yr to dispose of them. I think there might be something were missing.

Tyrants don't protect their own veterans. They use them as examples. They eschew their service. They criminalize them. Tyrants cannot be reasoned with. They can only be defeated with the weapons they reserve for themselves and deny the law abiding. Beware the enablers of tyrants. Threy are the true enemies of liberty and they vote Democrat.

Did he have a gun permit? If he did then there should be 1 yr to dispose of them. I think there might be something were missing.

Not if they were post-1994 hi cap mags. Just like in MA. See above.

Tyrants don't protect their own veterans. They use them as examples. They eschew their service. They criminalize them. Tyrants cannot be reasoned with. They can only be defeated with the weapons they reserve for themselves and deny the law abiding. Beware the enablers of tyrants. Threy are the true enemies of liberty and they vote Democrat.

I hope some or many or all other veterans get behind this guy.

This is more time than he'd get for actually murdering someone. Remember kids. They hate the veterans. Don't let them fool you. You are a disposable pawn in the great game. When you go overseas to protect freedoms, the rug gets pulled out, and those freedoms are gone when you return home.

I hope some or many or all other veterans get behind this guy.

It shouldn't be just veterans.

We all marched at our statehouses to support our gun rights. We need to get down there and do the same. Bring national attention to it. Let the people in the free country know that there are places in the U.S.A that are imprisoning our veterans for things that they have the right to do.

We all marched at our statehouses to support our gun rights. We need to get down there and do the same. Bring national attention to it. Let the people in the free country know that there are places in the U.S.A that are imprisoning our veterans for things that they have the right to do.

This. Yes. Military status is irrelevant, we all have the same constitutionally protected rights that we all must stand up for the regardless service.

They're not clips, they're magazines.

That being said, I hope a veterans group or some other sympathetic organization sets up a legal defense fund for this guy. What an unforgivable way to kick a veteran in the balls.

Last edited:

I'm in.

RE the 'they must have been post-ban' comments: He was arrested. They could have been pre-94 mags - and he got arrested anyway.

Folks, if the cops want to bust you for having a 30 rounder - even here in MA - and you say "But occifer, they're pre-94!" do you REALLY think that's going to be some kind of magic talisman that makes the cop say, "well OK then citizen, be off with you and have a splendid day."

No. He's going to bust you on an AWB violation and then it becomes up to you to assert the defense that they're pre-94. The DA will need to prove they're post ban but you've been arrested and you're now in the system and paying a lawyer.

I really hope that he fights this and sets up a legal fund. I'll give, I hope NRA mother****ers pitch in too. This sounds like a clear cut case of moonbats going wild. This has to stop somewhere. I know it would take a huge toll on him, but if need to bust him out of jail, let it be. I'll hide him. We got to take stand somewhere.

I also want to know who arrested him, who is the judge and who is the DA. I want their ****ing names so that a**h***s don't hide in shadows of anonymity.

I think this could be a pretty big case given the timing of it. A bunch of Pro 2A and Veterans associations need to step up here. We as Americans, and 2A supporters need to step up as well. Hopefully a lawyer who is also a Veteran will go on his case pro bono or something along those lines.

I really hope that he fights this and sets up a legal fund. I'll give, I hope NRA mother****ers pitch in too. This sounds like a clear cut case of moonbats going wild. This has to stop somewhere. I know it would take a huge toll on him, but if need to bust him out of jail, let it be. I'll hide him. We got to take stand somewhere.

I also want to know who arrested him, who is the judge and who is the DA. I want their ****ing names so that a**h***s don't hide in shadows of anonymity.

One of my close friends called the NRA for help with his case in NY after him and his GF spent the night in jail (just to clear the waters on this, they were moving from California back to NH, and passing through NY [state] when they were pulled over). The NRA basically laughed at him and said the Northeast is too messed up. I don't know exactly what the NRA said, but they got 0 help from them.

This. Yes. Military status is irrelevant, we all have the same constitutionally protected rights that we all must stand up for the regardless service.

Both points here are true. The other sad truth is that police and veterans are given more leeway and more credibility than the rest of us, which is why I mention it. Yes, everyone should get behind this guy.

One of my close friends called the NRA for help with his case in NY after him and his GF spent the night in jail (just to clear the waters on this, they were moving from California back to NH, and passing through NY [state] when they were pulled over). The NRA basically laughed at him and said the Northeast is too messed up. I don't know exactly what the NRA said, but they got 0 help from them.

... and that's the reason I called them "****ers" ... we really need their help here and I'm constantly torn between hating them and applauding to some thing they do.

If the ban stays NYers should hide all their large mags in public buildings, stick em up in the ceiling tiles, dump a few in the janotors closet at town hall etc. Let stupid regular people get tripped up over finding a metal box with a spring in it.

If the ban stays NYers should hide all their large mags in public buildings, stick em up in the ceiling tiles, dump a few in the janotors closet at town hall etc. Let stupid regular people get tripped up over finding a metal box with a spring in it.

or better yet, get buckets of .22 brass and just spread it from an airplane over mAss ... see how many felons we get ... as many as that dick Gregory, none. They are after non-moonbat gun owners to get the control on. Laws be damned.

Back
Top Bottom