• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NY - Man Shoots, Kills Pit Bull Attacking Kids

Barking between Suffolk County neighbors over a pit bull came to a head Tuesday when a man shot and killed the dog.

The canine reportedly broke free from its leash this afternoon in East Setauket just as a group of kids were coming home from school, and began to attack the students, police said.

A neighbor told police that he witnessed the attack, and went out to defend the children – bringing along his legally registered pistol as a precaution.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local-beat/Man-Shoots-Neighbors-Dog-93483144.html.

This was on Long Island. Had it been in any of the five boroughs of NYC, the kids would likely have been mauled due to the disarmament of the general public by their city's policy.

If it's bad pit bull owners who are responsible for all the pit bull attacks, as so many espouse, why are there so many bad pit bull owners and so few bad owners of other breeds?

Because people who own golden retrievers and cockapoos don't join gangs and strut down the street using their pets as weapons.

If it's bad pit bull owners who are responsible for all the pit bull attacks, as so many espouse, why are there so many bad pit bull owners and so few bad owners of other breeds?

There are bad dog owners of every breed. The most vicious dog I ever encountered was a yellow lab and it had everything to do with how the owner treated him. In my opinion, the biggest problem is not bad dogs and bad owners but bad reporting. "Pit bulls" are not the breeds most likely to attack people. Unfortunately, when they do attack they are the breeds most likely to kill and so they make the headlines. Also, there have been many examples of news outlets reporting dogs involved in attacks as being "pit bulls" despite having no evidence or information on the dog's breed. In addition, many witnesses cannot accurately identify dogs involved in attacks, especially in the cases of mixed breed dogs. There are bad owners of rottweilers, american bull dogs, boxers, and a whole host of other breeds that I have seen reported as pit bulls.

Also, there have been many examples of news outlets reporting dogs involved in attacks as being "pit bulls" despite having no evidence or information on the dog's breed. In addition, many witnesses cannot accurately identify dogs involved in attacks, especially in the cases of mixed breed dogs.

Sort of like news stories about shootings, all of which involve "semi-automatic machine guns" and/or 'assault weapons."

There are bad dog owners of every breed. The most vicious dog I ever encountered was a yellow lab and it had everything to do with how the owner treated him. In my opinion, the biggest problem is not bad dogs and bad owners but bad reporting. "Pit bulls" are not the breeds most likely to attack people. Unfortunately, when they do attack they are the breeds most likely to kill and so they make the headlines. Also, there have been many examples of news outlets reporting dogs involved in attacks as being "pit bulls" despite having no evidence or information on the dog's breed. In addition, many witnesses cannot accurately identify dogs involved in attacks, especially in the cases of mixed breed dogs. There are bad owners of rottweilers, american bull dogs, boxers, and a whole host of other breeds that I have seen reported as pit bulls.

Excellent point, and perfectly illustrated by this article I just posted where one news source says it was an "American Bulldog" and another describes it as a "Pit Bull".

Back
Top Bottom