NY - Man Killed In Shootout After Wounding Deputies

A man who fired a gun at a woman in Warrensburg was killed on Route 9 early this morning after he opened fire on officers who stopped his car, according to the Warren County Sheriff's Office.

Patrick E. Penders, 59, of Bloody Pond Road got out of his car and started shooting after police disabled the vehicle on Route 9 near Northway Exit 21, investigators said.

Two deputies were hit and deputies and state troopers returned fire, killing Penders.

One deputy was taken to Glens Falls Hospital for treatment of a minor wound to the abdomen. No information was immediately available on whether the other deputy was injured.

Penders had a lengthy criminal record. He had engaged in a shootout with State Police troopers in 1993 after he barricaded himself into a home in Fort Ann and refused to surrender, State Police Major William Sprague said at a news conference today in Queensbury.

Penders spent several years in prison after pleading guilty to first-degree reckless endangerment and was on parole until 2000, Sprague said. He apparently had not been arrested in recent years, the major said.

The incident began after police were told that Penders fired a gun at a female acquaintance in Warrensburg.

Warren County Sheriff Bud York laid out this scenario that led up to the shooting of Penders...

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=925677.

Last edited:
When I was living in the Albany area it was going to be a PITA for me to get a pistol permit, months of waiting several non-family references, background check, and judges decision etc. (roughly as bad as MA.) Yet this guy, who has been in a shootout with the police before and had a "lengthy criminal record" had a firearm, I assume a pistol but it doesn't say in the article. Obviously the gun laws are working as planned in that state.

But, but, but........... There's no way he, a felon, could possibly have any firearm in his possession!!! This must be a mistake!!

I truly think, deep down in my heart, that we need to make it a crime to commit a crime...In case the Judges/DA miss the fact that they broke the law..it will help to also make it a crime to break the law...then they would need to miss it twice..maybe helping the chances they actually go to jail for the proper amount of time.

^^ and think of the revenue stream that the states would have with all of the applications!

Back
Top Bottom