NY Dems want to require "child proof" handguns

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2017/05/3...ent=2017-06-06&utm_campaign=Weekly+Newsletter

[h=1]Thanks Again, Smith & Wesson: NY Dems Want to Bring “Childproofing” to All Handguns[/h]
Almost 20 years later, the Smith & Wesson sellout to the Clinton administration is the gift that keeps on giving.
New York Dems have decided that no handgun should be operable by a child under 6, so they’ve whipped up a very poorly thought-out bill to require “child-proofing” on all pistols sold in the state. The proposed text is short, and does a few things that are worth mentioning. Emphasis below is mine:

SUMMARY:
Prohibits persons, firms or corporations engaged in the retail business of selling firearms from selling, delivering or transferring child operated firearms; defines “child operated firearm” to mean a pistol or revolver manufactured 1 year after the effective date of these provisions which does not contain a childproofing device or mechanism incorporated into the design of such pistol or revolver to effectively preclude an average 5 year old from firing same; makes violations a class A misdemeanor.
PURPOSE OR GENERAL IDEA OF BILL :
This bill would prohibit the sale of pistols or revolvers by any person, firm or corporation in the retail business of selling guns which does not contain child proofing features built into the design of the gun.
SUMMARY OF SPECIFIC PROVISIONS :
This bill would prohibit the sale of pistols or revolvers by any person, firm or corporation in the retail business of selling guns which does not contain child proofing features built into the design of the gun. The prohibition would apply to pistols or revolvers manufactured twelve or more months after the effective date of the bill. Design features could include the capacity to adjust the trigger resistance of the gun to at least a ten pound pull, the capacity to alter the firing mechanism so- that an average five year old child’s hand would be too small to operate the gun, or the capacity to require a series of multiple motions in order to fire the gun. A violation of this provision would be a class A misdemeanor.
JUSTIFICATION :
According to the Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, 85% of 3 to 4 year olds are strong enough to pull the trigger of a gun – a recipe for disaster. But such tragedies involving young children can be prevented; the technology to do so is readily available. In a historic agreement recently reached between Smith & Wesson and the Departments of the Treasury and Housing and Urban Development, Local Governments and States, Smith & Wesson agreed that, within a 12 month period, all of its handguns will be designed so that they cannot be readily operated by a child under 6. This bill will have the effect of ensuring that all handguns sold at retail in New York will meet the standards agreed to by Smith & Wesson.
First, the bill introduces a brand new term into the gun control debate: “child-operated handgun,” which sounds even scarier than an “assault weapon” or “high-capacity magazine.”
The idea seems to be that if a child can pull the trigger, then it’s a “child-operated” gun, whereas guns with some form of childproofing are presumably normal. (Much the way that a standard-capacity 30-round AR mag is has been redefined as “high-capacity.”)
The second highlight is the list of possible childproofing suggestions. I recently spoke with the Wall Street Journal about the Dem fetish for dabbling in gun design, and this paragraph is a prime example.
Of course the ten-pound trigger pull is in there — New Yorkers love that one so much they inflict it on their police.
Next is this gem: “the capacity to alter the firing mechanism so that an average five year old child’s hand would be too small to operate the gun”. What on earth does this mean? I’m trying to envision it and am coming up blank. Maybe one of you guys knows what they’re talking about?
The third suggestion is the awesomest: “the capacity to require a series of multiple motions in order to fire the gun.” Yeah, that’s gonna work great for a defensive firearm! I can see it now, during a home invasion: “Stop, thief! Or, at least stand perfectly still for a minute while I go through the correct sequence of motions to fire this weapon.” Meanwhile, the thief — being the kind of guy who breaks the law — is wielding an illegal “child-operated” handgun that works with just a trigger pull.
Finally, the bill cites the aforementioned S&W settlement as proof that this sort of thing is feasible, and this is despite the fact that it does not offer the external integrated gun lock that said settlement produced as an example of acceptable childproofing. Thanks again, Smith & Wesson!
Anyway, y’know, the mind boggles and all of that. They’re never going to stop trying to design guns, despite knowing less than nothing about them, so eternal vigilance is the only answer.

Looks like S&W is trying to monopolize the NY market.

...design of such pistol or revolver to effectively preclude an average 5 year old from firing...

Just have the gun ask the kid how old they are.

Looks like S&W is trying to monopolize the NY market.

Just have the gun ask the kid how old they are.

There are over 30,000 cops in NYC alone. I believe they carry glocks too. They must be salivating at the chance to arm and service this large force

- - - Updated - - -

There are over 30,000 cops in NYC alone. I believe they carry glocks too. They must be salivating at the chance to arm and service this large force

*edit: almost 40,000.
from nypd wiki:
The NYPD's current authorized uniformed strength is 34,450. There are also approximately 4,500 Auxiliary Police Officers, 5,000 School Safety Agents, 2,300 Traffic Enforcement Agents, and 370 Traffic Enforcement Supervisors currently employed by the department.

- - - Updated - - -

*edit: almost 40,000.
from nypd wiki:
The NYPD's current authorized uniformed strength is 34,450. There are also approximately 4,500 Auxiliary Police Officers, 5,000 School Safety Agents, 2,300 Traffic Enforcement Agents, and 370 Traffic Enforcement Supervisors currently employed by the department.

I though NYPD's trigger pull was already spec'ed to be 12 lbs already?

THe ADA needs to preclude this discriminatory b.s.
people with hand disability e.g. Carpal tunnel, arthritis,

will be denied the ability to defend themselves.

They should just hand-proof handguns. Force you to do 5 separate actions involving both hands in order for the gun to fire. All must be accomplished within a set period of time (2 seconds?) or it will reset from the beginning. Sorta like a Bop-It.

Then require all guns to be retrofitted to this technology.

Of course, exempt cops. . . and criminals.

They should just hand-proof handguns. Force you to do 5 separate actions involving both hands in order for the gun to fire. All must be accomplished within a set period of time (2 seconds?) or it will reset from the beginning. Sorta like a Bop-It.

Then require all guns to be retrofitted to this technology.

Of course, exempt cops. . . and criminals.

I laughed so hard at the bop it part. Bur seriously, this stuff is absurd

Back
Top Bottom