• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NY bill to require mental health check for gun purchase

allen-1

NES Member
Yeah, it's actually been filed as a bill in the State Senate. No idea if it will make it through the process, but this is Orwellian.

1-A. BEFORE ANY SALE, EXCHANGE, OR DISPOSAL PURSUANT TO THIS ARTICLE,
A PURCHASER OF ANY FIREARM, RIFLE OR SHOTGUN SHALL SUBMIT TO A MENTAL
HEALTH EVALUATION AND PROVIDE THE SELLER WITH PROOF OF HIS OR HER
APPROVAL TO PURCHASE SUCH FIREARM, RIFLE OR SHOTGUN PURSUANT TO SUBDIVI-
SION (M) OF SECTION 7.09 OF THE MENTAL HYGIENE LAW.

Wow the BS runs deep in the left. What happened? Did NY shrinks approach liberal politicians and complain that they aren't making enough money so they have 'this idea'?

Question #1 of the proposed mental health check:
Do you believe that the strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government?

Question #1 of the proposed mental health check:
Do you believe that the strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government?

If anyone answers yes to that question, i bet they get flagged as being paranoid.....jmo

As my dear pappy used to say "anyone who lives in New York should have his head examined". This just proves that he was ahead of his time!
In fact, that's the very first question they ask: Do you live in NY?

Answer "yes" to that question and, statistically speaking, you've got to be at least a little off. [laugh]

If anyone answers yes to that question, i bet they get flagged as being paranoid.....jmo
probably the same type of person who logs on here to ask if they should put yes on the federal form question asking if they use drugs.

"Section 3 amends section 7.09 of the mental hygiene law by adding a new
subdivision (1) to require the commissioner of mental health to estab-
lish within the office of mental health an administrative process for
the mental health evaluation of any individual prior to such individ-
ual's purchase of any firearm, rifle or shotgun. The commissioner shall
promulgate regulations which shall include, but not be limited to,
provisions relating to mental health professionals approved to perform
the evaluation; the process for evaluation; and the development of a
standardized form to be used by mental health professionals performing
such evaluation to approve or deny an individual for purchase of a
firearm, rifle or shotgun."

This ought to be interesting, lol.

Is there a LEO exemption? Would like to see them jammed up in this fiasco.

... and guaranteed to go all the way to the Supreme Court.

In the mean time you get to have the Government dig through the most intimate details of your life and beliefs. What could go wrong?

Don't worry the criminals will comply... [rofl2]
Because criminals always listen to laws![slap]

No fear, Bloomturd will protect you![puke]

Just curious where it should stop. Should they also require this for a vehicle license renewal? If your not ok to posses a gun, why should you be ok to drive down the road next to hundred of other people? I think its a weird slippery slope that ( will never happen due to laws protecting against people with disabilities, etc.) but if you NOT ok to posses a gun for fear that you may harm someone else or others, why is it then OK for you to be say in charge of someones finances, or a Human Resources Manager giving guidance to those at work?

I find it strange that they want to enact laws that say you can't posses a gun due to your mental status, but your good to go leading that crew of people through the hazardous atmosphere in that mine over there!

This law would if passed do as designed discourage firearms ownership. The state want to make it hard as possible to buy in turn making people not want to buy or have guns. This would work just the the ammo background scheme in California all by design.

Just curious where it should stop. Should they also require this for a vehicle license renewal? If your not ok to posses a gun, why should you be ok to drive down the road next to hundred of other people? I think its a weird slippery slope that ( will never happen due to laws protecting against people with disabilities, etc.) but if you NOT ok to posses a gun for fear that you may harm someone else or others, why is it then OK for you to be say in charge of someones finances, or a Human Resources Manager giving guidance to those at work?

I find it strange that they want to enact laws that say you can't posses a gun due to your mental status, but your good to go leading that crew of people through the hazardous atmosphere in that mine over there!

Don’t try to make sense of this. You’ll go crazy.

In New York people doing these exams will simply do this: Look out the window into the parking lot at the car the person is driving in:

Trump bumper sticker= Mentally Ill
Sanders or Bloomberg bumper sticker= Good to go

Back
Top Bottom