• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NY bill to limit ammo sales to 2x mag size every 90 days

Ben Cartwright SASS

NES Member
I discussed this with a friend and he said that will make the price of cartridges in NY go up 3x 4x the current price.

I told him I disagree as there is no shortage, the dealers will have tons on the shelf, they can only sell it a bit at a time. He claims they would want to stick it to you by raising the price. I said this is not a lack of ammo just how much each person could sell. The dealers would still want to get rid of it so the price wouldn't go up

At least that is my opinion. Yes they want to drive the dealers out of business but a dealer isn't going to cut his throat by raising the prices through the roof and then not sell any they will just go out of business

People will just go out of state to purchase... same as fireworks or booze to avoid taxes.

They will make the purchase of ammo out of state a crime. The govt. just loves to add more laws and restrictions on people.

People will just go out of state to purchase... same as fireworks or booze to avoid taxes.

This same friend who said they will raise ammo prices 4x claims that during the gas crisis in the 70's that ALL the storage tanks were full and there were tankers sitting off the coast and that the government wasn't letting the companies sell gas so they could raise the prices. But I don't remember prices spiking just that you were limited when and how much you could buy! He also claims it started in the mid 60's and continued for a couple decades. I think he is off base

This same friend who said they will raise ammo prices 4x claims that during the gas crisis in the 70's that ALL the storage tanks were full and there were tankers sitting off the coast and that the government wasn't letting the companies sell gas so they could raise the prices. But I don't remember prices spiking just that you were limited when and how much you could buy! He also claims it started in the mid 60's and continued for a couple decades. I think he is off base

Simple economics show that prices going up with supply is restricted is most likely BS.

The only reason the prices would go up - is because the gun shops will now have keep themselves going on MUCH LESS sales - so to stay open they might raise their prices.

The net effect will be that a law like this will likely put a lot of shops out of business because of the dual effects of massively decreased sales (meaning profit) - and also, if they try to raise prices - people will also buy less ammo.

How they're going to stifle people making their own ammo is what want to know. I suppose if you're going to restrict sales of ammo like that - then anybody showing up at a range and shooting off 100 rounds is immediately suspect. Especially if they were just there last week doing the same thing.

Seriously though - if people put up with crap like this then it's another sign this country is truly done-for.

The only way the can do this is to have an ammo registry. Then it depends on how they word it, the easiest would be to limit you to 20 rounds every 3 months and have it all on the computers

They will make the purchase of ammo out of state a crime. The govt. just loves to add more laws and restrictions on people.

If they did that then there would still be a large need for shops in NY to buy ammo, if they were trying to push out dealers from the state, they would not want to make the shops in the state have less outside compitition,

basically that would force the slales of ammo to the in state dealers only, and im sure they could make money being exlusive, the but then again when has logic actualy been used in the law making prosess

They are banking on the fact that it can take years to get to SCOTUS and less than 1% of cases that get presented to SCOTUS are heard.
Since they believe they can't ban everything but single shot muzzle loaders, they are creating a virtual ban on ammunition.
What they really are doing is ensuring that nobody in NY that doesn't live near another state border won't have enough ammo to properly train. I guess they want citizen to shoot as poorly as NYPD.

They'd have to get ammo manufacturers to micro stamp cartridges. How could LE know if ammo was purchased out of state or not?

Yes,just like with alcohol, fireworks etc. but for this the consequences would be harsher. Also the govt. loves to create criminals because it helps them to grow ever larger. They would probably create a task force specifically for this.

Perhaps but then it becomes a game of "catch me if you can"

- - - Updated - - -

They would probably put up check points at the border.

They'd have to get ammo manufacturers to micro stamp cartridges. How could LE know if ammo was purchased out of state or not?

Just watch, then they will be saying that people shouldn't own a gun that they have no practice with.

damn, this must have took some overtime to dream this up. these people went to college?

They realize that what they really want is to boil the frog alive. They can't just pass a law saying "confiscate all firearms and ammo", which is really what they want, so instead it's death by 1000 cuts (or the frog metaphor, whichever you prefer).

This is also a case of "getting SOMETHING done by proposing ludicrous laws". From the article:

"While the practicality of limiting small-capacity gun owners to a less than a box of bullets is unexplored, those familiar with the legislation say the lawmakers look upon the language as a starting point in negotiations."

Ayn Rand said:"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws."

turning law abiding people into criminals if the ultimate goal here

"The Senate and Assembly bills were drafted in an effort to keep potential terrorists from stocking up on ammo, according to sponsors state Sen. Roxanne Persaud and Assemblymember Jo Anne Simon. The twin bills are backed by Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams, who worked with Persaud and Simon to craft them."

OMG! Stupidity knows no bounds! Those 3 idiots are in our govt and have no clue. Our country is being run by idiots!

Last edited:
"The Senate and Assembly bills were drafted in an effort to keep potential terrorists from stocking up on ammo, according to sponsors state Sen. Roxanne Persaud and Assemblymember Jo Anne Simon. The twin bills are backed by Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams, who worked with Persaud and Simon to craft them."

OMG! Stupidity knows no bounds! Those 3 idiots need to be taken out of office.

Do they think terrorists buy their ammo from Cheaper Then Dirt? [rofl]

Back
Top Bottom