NV no longer recognizes RI

Maura will 'reinterpret' that LTCs are only valid in the city/town they were issued in.

Maura will 'reinterpret' that LTCs are only valid in the city/town they were issued, only during the hours when the COP who issued the LTC is still alive AND still employed AND on duty within 5 miles of the location of the LTC holder--and the LTC holder must be holding the LTC.

(FIFY.)

wrong, only in the house the applicant lives in...

Ouch.

Folks, please feel free to criticize Maura Healey for her actions to your hearts content, but let's leave her sexuality out of it.

Nevada recognizes Florida which can be obtained by mail without state specific training like Utah.

Keep in mind, Nevada doesn't require a permit to carry in a vehicle (if not concealed on your person) and OC is legal without a license.

This is not the first time this has happened [thinking]
I contacted them and asked them why they no longer would recognize RI permits, and this is the response I got:
During this years research it was discovered that in Rhode Island concealed weapon laws that “Proficiency in the use of pistols or revolvers shall not be prerequisite to the issuance of the safety certificate”. Therefore, Rhode Island does not meet Nevada’s requirements.
Thank you for inquiring and have a safe day.
They mid-interpreted the statute and thought that a Blue Card (where proficiency is not a requirement) was a CCW permit. I pointed out the differences between the two and referred to the statute that requires "proof of proficiency". The next time the review board met they added RI again.
I asked them again today why NV don't recognize RI permits, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did the same "mistake" again.
Unfortunately, the DPS board of Safety (or something like that) meets only once a year or maybe every two years, so it will be a while before RI will be added again...

I believe NV generates the list one a year, and it's by statute so there is no procedure to correct an error.

The removal is ironic since RI may be the only state with a live fire marksmanship test to qualify for a carry permit.

Last edited:
This is what they told me:
I was told once again by a Deputy Chief at BCI that we have to call them to verify that the permit is active. Nevada law requires an electronic database. I unfortunately have to go on what I am being told. Have a good day.

xxxx xxxxxx, Brady Supervisor
Department of Public Safety
Point-of-Contact Firearms Program
333 W. Nye Lane, Suite 100
Carson City, NV 89706
I am not sure why they need to contact BCI about that since the expiration date is on the permit [thinking] I would think there is a central database (they can't be that antiquated), but it is understandable that the AG's office don't give access to anyone outside RI. I wonder if other States allow NV LEO to look up active permits directly without calling someone.
FL let you check the status of a permit, but you need a tracking number and I am not sure what this is since it is not the same as the number on the permit.
https://licensing.freshfromflorida.com/CWStatusCheck/CWStatusChk.aspx

NRS 202.3689  Department to prepare list of states that meet certain requirements concerning permits; Department to provide copy of list to law enforcement agencies in this State; Department to make list available to public.

1.  On or before July 1 of each year, the Department shall:

(a) Determine whether each state requires a person to complete any training, class or program before the issuance of a permit to carry a concealed firearm in that state.

(b) Determine whether each state has an electronic database which identifies each individual who possesses a valid permit to carry a concealed firearm issued by that state and which a law enforcement officer in this State may access at all times through a national law enforcement telecommunications system.

(c) Prepare a list of states that meet the requirements of paragraphs (a) and (b).

(d) Provide a copy of the list prepared pursuant to paragraph (c) to each law enforcement agency in this State.

2.  The Department shall, upon request, make the list prepared pursuant to subsection 1 available to the public.
http://www.leg.state.nv.us/nrs/nrs-202.html#NRS202Sec3689
Has anyone heard of a "national law enforcement telecommunications system" other than FBI's databases?

Back
Top Bottom