nurses strike over health care costs, LOL

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nurses can easily make six figures . They need to lower the requirements so anyone can become a nurse and pay them nothing and offer no benefits . Ya thats the ticket

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Myra Gregorian, the hospital's vice president of human resources, estimated the cost of the walkout, including the nursing replacement contract and additional security, will run in the millions of dollars.

She disputed the union's claims about staffing, saying the hospital complies with all state staffing ratios. While some situations mean could find their lunches or break curtailed, they are compensated, she said.

If they did the right thing in the first place, they wouldn't find themselves shelling out additional millions of dollars on top of the contract they will end up ratifying in the end, just like Brockton Hospital did in the late 90's / early 2000's.

The V.P. of HR contradicts herself. If there was adequate and safe staffing, the staff would be able to take their legally required food breaks without the hospital having to pay overtime compensation for when the RN has to work through their food break. Food is fuel and without fuel in healthcare, you end up having tired workers who could make mistakes which could result in patient death.
I'm sure that the V.P. gets her scheduled lunch or dinner break every day without interruption and she is most likely making well over the nurse's average wage for sitting on her backside making wrong decision after wrong decision including poor statements to the press.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Same thing the Nurses in Worcester did a few years ago, strike because they were not getting paid enough AND their health care expense was going up for some unknown reason....

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've always thought nurses would do well do negotiate contracts in DEUs = "Doc equivalent units". Come up with a basket of services - add the price of an ER visit; an in-hospital visit by at attending; the price of a few specialty visits and express the base wage of a nurse (before applying various steps based on degree/experience/certifications) as a percentage of that basket. Each year, just compute the basket, apply the same percentage - and pfft!! - you'd have the nurse's wage scale for the year.

Nurses would probably do pretty well, since the one thing that is sacred in the medical field is MD compensation. After all, when is the last time you heard a hospital having labor problems with doctors not satisfied with their cut of the action?

If nurses really want to protest, just start insisting on overtime for ANY extra beyond the scheduled shift. Even 30 minutes a day spent filling out paperwork after a shift 'off the clock' can add up across an entire hospital.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
They should make their health insurance cheaper. Just pay them less and use that extra money to pay for insurance. Problem solved. see if they like that.

Union people are just incredible.

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Sutter Health says its full-time nurses receive an average salary of $136,000 a year and have the option of a 100 percent employer-paid health benefits package.
Read more: http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2103016,00.html#ixzz1hTPzVr9d

Must be real tough. Don't get me wrong - I've seen bad nurses and good nurses in action and they can really make a difference in the 'quality' of your stay. I certainly couldn't do that job but what are they bitching about?!

Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Complain about the cost of healthcare and then run ads on not having enough nurses on staff and the "patient to nurse" ratio needs to change. Seems plausable, add more employees with no change in income to a company always equals a better business, doesnt it???

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Complain about the cost of healthcare and then run ads on not having enough nurses on staff and the "patient to nurse" ratio needs to change. Seems plausable, add more employees with no change in income to a company always equals a better business, doesnt it???
Having dated a nurse, she informed me (numerous times) she is perfectly capable of handing 10 ER patients at any time.

Garys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Having dated a nurse, she informed me (numerous times) she is perfectly capable of handing 10 ER patients at any time.
I'll assume you mean dated in the past. Not that it matters, but I know a lot of nurses and I don't know any that would handle 10 ER patients at a time. Not and deliver any sort of quality of care.

It's the nurses that do the vast majority of patient care, not the doctors. Keep in mind that at teaching hospitals, which is all of the big hospitals, most of the doctors are residents. Residents are students, they work under the supervision of an attending physician. Of which there might be one or two depending on the size of the ER. Most of the treatment is done by the nurses and a good nurse knows more than most residents.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I'll assume you mean dated in the past. Not that it matters, but I know a lot of nurses and I don't know any that would handle 10 ER patients at a time. Not and deliver any sort of quality of care.

It's the nurses that do the vast majority of patient care, not the doctors. Keep in mind that at teaching hospitals, which is all of the big hospitals, most of the doctors are residents. Residents are students, they work under the supervision of an attending physician. Of which there might be one or two depending on the size of the ER. Most of the treatment is done by the nurses and a good nurse knows more than most residents.
I'm fully aware of everything you said (I work in a hospital). The ex-GF nurse with 23 years ER experience reminded me time and again that she could handle 10 ER patients. She was a bit of a "psycho burn out", which is why I no longer see her and always kept my firearms under lock and key when around her. if you know what i mean. Playing on the edge can be fun BUT you have to weight the options if you should slip.

Last edited:

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I don't know anything about the ER loads, but I know that 4 - 6 patients is a full load for an RN on a unit that does heavy duty stuff (trauma, major surgery, transplants, etc.).

It really depends on what the patients are in for, how many are being admitted/discharged; what their needs are; etc.

The problem with "mandated staffing levels" is you have to take the money from somewhere. Sure, making sure you have more nurses to take care of patients may help those patients, but may also cause the hospital to be more rigorous in the wallet biopsy procedure (being more aggressive about turning patients away who don't have an insurance card of up front deposit), increase pressure to discharge patients sooner, use fewer and larger sutures (rep point to the first person who gets the movie reference), etc. You might even see hospitals shift from regular linen changes to clean sheet to top sheet, top sheet to bottom, bottom sheet to laundry. The cash is going to get squeezed from somewhere.

swampy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Being employed in healthcare (not in a medical profession) and being a union member, steward, negotiator, etc I can attest that the dollar amount put forward as wages includes the total package of insurances and other benefits. That isn't what their paycheck reflects. My health package is about $20K annually. Add up the sick time, holidays, disability insurances, continuing education, workers comp, retirement and the employers share of SSI and medicare contributions and add it to their real wages to come up with the numbers the hospitals give as wages. Use that method and $12 per hour housekeepers will have salaries around $60,000-$75,000 annually. Nurses typically get liability insurance paid as part of their wage package. They get insurance coverage for exposure to HIV and other job related risks.

Having been across the table from management several times I can tell you they've got no shame in the claims they make and the demands they try to make. Nobody has ever been cured by an MBA or accountant. In 10 years my union hasn't lost an arbitration case and we've lost only 1 lawsuit against my employer and we've had plenty. Having representation takes a lot of stress from workers' shoulders allowing them to focus on doing their job better. As far as nursing goes that means patients have a lot less risk of being injured by a distracted or overworked nurse.

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
As far as nursing goes that means patients have a lot less risk of being injured by a distracted or overworked nurse.
Representation also means that it is MUCH harder to hold an employee accountable when they do an "adequate" job and others are doing "excellent" work, and that the employer must prove poor performance, not just "conclude" it.

I am reminded of one slide on the Netflix corporate culture Powerpoint page - "Acceptable performance gets you a generous severance package". In a union shop, "Adequate performance" assures you cannot he layed off before the excellent person with one day less seniority is let go.

Nobody has ever been cured by an MBA or accountant.
Actually, I disagree. How many of those MRI machines, drugs and surgical tools would be delivered to the hospital absent the MBA and accountant work? How many docs and nurses would show up to work absent the services of MBA, accountants and other REMFs?

There is a huge chain of vital personnel involved in every cure - and removing any of their functions makes most cures impossible. Just try curing someone without an electrician being involved somewhere in the delivery of care.

Last edited:

BillB

Banned
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Union nurses are a lot like union school teachers I have known....always complaining (to anyone who will listen), but I don't know of one that is poor.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have been a RN for 13 years, when UMASS went on strike, I made a killing doing temp work. Crossing the picket lines was fun...I used to beep and wave my wallet.

The vast majority of nurses I know are non-union, and are earning every bit of their paychecks! That figure of $130,000/yr is BS. Unless they are working tons of OT.

Fixxah

NES Member
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Union nurses are a lot like union school teachers I have known....always complaining (to anyone who will listen), but I don't know of one that is poor.
You are truly a clueless douche. Did BillB fail a union drug test or physical? Is that why there's all the hostility?

I am betting that you post from the local library and the three most common words used in your job are "Paper or plastic?"

Not that there's anything wrong with that. Someone's got to do it.

Sent from the Hyundai of the droids, the Samsung Replenish, using Tapatalk.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Having spent ample time in hospitals (one stay was 3 weeks+, and normally was in the week + range).

I have met some nurses who were outstanding. I have had some where I have recently called up and informed the hospital that if said nurse came in to treat me they will be hearing from my lawyer for malpractice (she IGNORED doctor's written orders, I found this out because the nurse that actually read the doc's orders said "umm, we can't do that, Doc did the surgery different than normal' when I asked for something).

I honestly feel that Nurses scream about patient care ONLY when it suits to further their goal. When its anathema to their goal/desire it's swept under the rug and ignored. And you can't ignore the benefits package as total cost of employment. Even though the nurse doesn't get that money the hospital HAS to budget that amount to pay for the benefits.

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
A few hints to hospital patients:

1. Be nice to nurses

2. Have the number for "patient relations". No, patient relations is not the hospital version of www.eharmony.com - but you WILL get attention if you call the number. Don't call it unless you have to - consider it sort of an internal 911.

3. Have someone check the date marked on your bandages and IV tubing, and ask your nurse to explain the hospital's policies regarding the frequency with with each of these items is changed. It is VERY common for nurses to "forget" to change these on schedule and leave the work for the next shift. If they know you are aware of this, chances are they will overlook someone else's rather than yours.

4. Know what meds your doc ordered, and what they look like (if possible). Med mistakes happen and when they do, they are generally swept under the rug. Also, know when they should be given - forgetting to give meds is a not unheard of error. There is no law in MA that states that the hospital must inform you of all medication errors, and they will not be in your chart - as your chart is an order of what was ordered and when it was given, and is not updated with notations like "Thorazine given by mistake instead of the Tylenol ordered"

5. If you see a mistake ask to have an incident report form filled out. These are for hospital use only (your attorney cannot get them by discovery) but, once again, the fact that you asked to have one filled out will get attention. Save this for serious cases, not little stuff like not getting ice cubes in your drink.

6. If you are on fluid restriction, try not to drink out of the toilet.

7. Remember, unless you are a VIP, you are just one of many patients an overworked nurse is taking care of, so refer to #1. If you are a VIP, rule #1 reversed :).

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
A few hints to hospital patients:

1. Be nice to nurses

2. Have the number for "patient relations". No, patient relations is not the hospital version of www.eharmony.com - but you WILL get attention if you call the number. Don't call it unless you have to - consider it sort of an internal 911.

3. Have someone check the date marked on your bandages and IV tubing, and ask your nurse to explain the hospital's policies regarding the frequency with with each of these items is changed. It is VERY common for nurses to "forget" to change these on schedule and leave the work for the next shift. If they know you are aware of this, chances are they will overlook someone else's rather than yours.

4. Know what meds your doc ordered, and what they look like (if possible). Med mistakes happen and when they do, they are generally swept under the rug. Also, know when they should be given - forgetting to give meds is a not unheard of error. There is no law in MA that states that the hospital must inform you of all medication errors, and they will not be in your chart - as your chart is an order of what was ordered and when it was given, and is not updated with notations like "Thorazine given by mistake instead of the Tylenol ordered"

5. If you see a mistake ask to have an incident report form filled out. These are for hospital use only (your attorney cannot get them by discovery) but, once again, the fact that you asked to have one filled out will get attention. Save this for serious cases, not little stuff like not getting ice cubes in your drink.

6. If you are on fluid restriction, try not to drink out of the toilet.

7. Remember, unless you are a VIP, you are just one of many patients an overworked nurse is taking care of, so refer to #1. If you are a VIP, rule #1 reversed :).
+ 1. Question everything... I prefer to have VERY defensive, nervous patients...keeps me on my toes and a confident patient will heal faster.

Mass-diver

NES Member
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Nursing is the number one trusted profession in America this year, just like every other year. But, don't let that stop you from bashing them.......

http://www.militaryconnection.com/articles/nursing/gallap-poll-trusted-profession.html

For the 11th year, nurses were voted the most trusted profession in America in Gallup's annual survey that ranks professions for their honesty and ethical standards. Eighty-one percent of Americans believe nurses’ honesty and ethical standards are either "high" or "very high."

Executive

NES Member
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
I hope posts like this don't scare union nurses away from the profession. I want to continue using the secret union handshake so I can get free healthcare and preferred treatment. SOLIDARITY from a union school teacher to my union brothers and sisters in nursing!!!

Chris

BillB

Banned
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Nursing is the number one trusted profession in America this year, just like every other year. But, don't let that stop you from bashing them.......

[/B]
I am not "bashing" anyone, just pointing out that union nurses are WAY better of financially than most. And I found it ironic that they were complaining about something that they were partially responsible for in the first place!

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I am not "bashing" anyone, just pointing out that union nurses are WAY better of financially than most. And I found it ironic that they were complaining about something that they were partially responsible for in the first place!
How are they responsible again? Cause last I checked the reason healthcare costs are soaring is because of mandatory insurance. Prices have skyrocketed to cover the scum suckers not paying. My girlfriend, who works for one of the largest hospitals in the state, oh and is btw not a union nurse, has ridiculously high insurance costs. It's insane what she pays as a care giver.

Top Bottom