1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Nunchucks - They’re Ba-ack!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by MaverickNH, Dec 17, 2018.

1. MaverickNH

MaverickNH NES Member

Federal court says NY ban on nunchucks unconstitutional

“A 1974 New York state ban on nunchucks that was put into place over fears that youth inspired by martial arts movies would create widespread mayhem is unconstitutional under the Second Amendment, a federal court has ruled.“

2. Waher

Waher NES Member

Still illegal in MA. Along with mythical zoobows and the dark mysteries of power which surround these weapons of mass destruction.

kman, BUMPA01603 and beaker like this.
  3. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

This joker really thought he could top the great Ryusho Sakagami? That's like outsniping Carlos Hathcock and outcooking Julia Child - at the same time.

In terms of how far we have come - the 8th grade English teacher in my Jr high carried a set of these and had really mastered them - nobody cared except when he gave demos that were rather popular. He went on to lead the US Karate federation to victory at a world championship and unfortunately has since passed away.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  4. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

but...but...someone might get hurt now...

Fixxah, GaryO, eboos and 1 other person like this.
  5. -B-

-B-

" nunchaku, zoobow, also known as klackers or kung fu sticks, or any similar weapon consisting of two sticks of wood, plastic or metal connected at one end by a length of rope, chain, wire or leather" ma gen law section 12 actually does expound as to what a zoobow is

6. whatluck

whatluck

They are a nasty weapon, but I don't see criminals using these, like ever. Even after a bunch of practice you're more likely you hurt yourself with them than the other person.

7. Climbnsink

Climbnsink

Grew up in NY in the 80's we mail ordered them to family in VT. Used to make them as well, two sections of old garden hose tied together makes practice nunchuks that don't hurt as much when you hit yourself. And you are going to hit yourself

8. greencobra

greencobra NES Member

i also had a martial arts devotee as a teacher. my 9th grade biology teacher. he'd show his prowess with nunchucks as an incentive for us to behave. he was quite good with those star things that you'd fling at your intended target also. he use to let us try them on the days we had a lab, tossing them accross the room into a sheet of plywood the janitor scrounged for him. my teacher didn't go on to be a champion of anything, he got the shit beat out of him by cambridge cops at one of those peace demonstrations they use to have back in the day. he was pretty docile and all business after that.

BUMPA01603 likes this.
  9. BUMPA01603

BUMPA01603 NES Member

Every time I've ever tried them I ended up whacking myself in the head o_O

Old Hickory likes this.
  10. Nick Fury

Nick Fury

Nunchaku are awesome. I own two pair. Fun to flip and swing around but for some reason I feel a little bruised after doing so. Still it is a cheap vehicle to transport me back to the 80s...

MachineHead likes this.
  11. RumRunner

RumRunner NES Member

I used to be pretty good with them back 30 years ago or so, today I would end up with a concussion, or worse I'm sure.

12. minininjer

minininjer NES Door Greeter NES Member

Nice. My martial arts instructor friend gave me a pair of wooden ones years ago. I learned how to do figure 8 wrist rolls with them lol Dope AF!

13. greencobra

greencobra NES Member

lol, them and balisong knives, anytime i try to manipulate them i get bruised or cut. best for me to stay far away.

14. PATRON

PATRON NES Life Member NES Member

I still have the ones from when I was 17 years old.One was made out of wood,and the other one looks like two police batons.

15. NHCraigT

NHCraigT NES Member

In the 70's, I had a creative buddy on my street, that would just make a lot of his own stuff. That included making nun chucks out of copper pipe, and other metal pipe + chain.

16. Lip

Lip Army Veteran

17. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

How come they teach nunchaku in martial arts classes if they’re illegal in Mass?

Lip likes this.
  18. allen-1

allen-1 NES Member

We made them in wood shop class. When the teacher wasn't looking. Along with other assorted items.

Chevy 2 65 likes this.
  19. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

We would make bowls. Anytime brass chips were seen on a lathe the shop teachers were all on the lookout.

Energizer, BUMPA01603 and LuvToGoFast like this.
  20. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

Pass, though they're hanging on the wall at mine along with other oddities like a mace. I manage to hurt myself enough with just a Kali stick. [grin]

ILikeGlocks likes this.
  21. mikeyp

mikeyp NES Member

You realize MGL is pretty much the only place on earth this word exits(and anything else is pointing to MGL asking what it is). No martial artist, movie, book etc. has ever used that word. If you google it, everything points back to MGL. Nobody sells anything called a zoobow. Some idiot in the legislature's kid probably said something like that and they were like omgz zoobow we gotsta bannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

BUMPA01603, edin508 and tuna like this.
  22. alpineboard

alpineboard

Any one remember "Clackers", we had them in elementary school (1970) and used them at recess, approx. 1/2 the kids had them and all were quite good at it, max speed for more than a minute, it was a non stop buzz festival, from beginning to end of recess. The teachers had a hard time getting us to stop doing it. Ex: standing in line, some one would do a quick buzz with their clackers, Teacher:" who was that!?" We were all wondering when the ban was going to happen, the teachers did not quite know how to handle this chaos. That clacking went on for a few weeks, until some one finally got beaned on the fore head and had a giant welt. That was all they needed to Ban them for ever. Amazing they let it go on for that long! It was the 70's!

23. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

Nonsense!

[​IMG]

24. RumRunner

RumRunner NES Member

Back in the day, as long as you were travelling to a class or event they never gave you a problem. I got pulled over with all kinds of weapons in the back seat they saw through the window, but showed them my bag with clothes in it that I was on the way back from class and that was good. Not sure what would happen today. Used to have tournaments at the high school gym, everyone brought all their weapons to the school.

25. mikeyp

mikeyp NES Member

LAWBREAKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (those have a space in zoo bow [banana] )

26. DrBurnsides

DrBurnsides

Christmas klackers are illegal? They had boxes of them at tj max?

27. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

Heh - reminds me of my run-ins years ago with the police from the town next door. Back then (1) I was a regular at weeknight classes (both JKD and the Filipino stuff), and (2) drove an ancient Chevy van. First time they got me for failure to stop at the end of the ramp, I figured, okay, maybe it was a Hollywood. Don't you know I came to a full and complete stop every time thereafter - actually counted to five. Got pulled over again, and again for "failure to stop" so twern't it. Three cop cars that second time. Flashlights glancing hither and tither, especially bag of martial arts stuff next to me. (Didn't help that the school uniform is black t-shirt, black sweatpants, and black hoodie.) I'm guessing someone must've finally caught the school logo on my sweatshirt. Written warning each time.

28. Permanent Waves

Permanent Waves

Great quote by the judge on the classification of weapons:

"Moreover, the state’s argument that the “dangerous potential” of nunchucks isn’t an argument at all. The judge doesn’t go to the common-sense argument that a firearm is clearly more dangerous than a nunchuck, but the silliness of the “dangerous potential” argument as applied to two sticks and a short chain speaks for itself. Instead, Chen quotes Caetano in dismissing this argument:

“If Heller tells us anything, it is that [weapons] cannot be categorically prohibited just because they are dangerous,” since the “relative dangerousness of a weapon is irrelevant when the weapon belongs to a class of arms commonly used for lawful purposes.” Caetano, 136 S. Ct. at 1031 (Alito, J., concurring); see also NYSRPA, 804 F.3d at 256. 23"

Waher likes this.
  29. ReluctantDecoy

ReluctantDecoy

As far as I'm aware, it is one of the carry laws, but ownership law. You just can't carry them on your person or directly with you (like arms reach) in a car. I think you can transport them in the trunk or keep them at your house/school. Similar to switch blades.

Varmint likes this.
  30. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

Early form of the outdoor game Testicle Toss. Those clackers (just like sneakers) were seen hanging off many a telephone line.