Nuke plant and taxes

Does anybody know what’s going to happen to the tax rate for home owners in Plymouth now that the plant is shut down ? Seriously looking hard in Plymouth for a new home but don’t want to get slammed with ridiculous property taxes !

I don't know if or how the tax rate could change in this situation due to prop 2 1/2. The town will have to fill a 5% shortage in their budget which is gonna suck. Between that and the loss of other revenue (employees living in town, local shops losing plant business, etc) things are gonna get tight. Hopefully the town has a plan to deal with it. It will be up to the voters to either approve a tax override or cut items from the budget.

they can still tax on the land value and any structures standing if the payment in lieu of taxes deal is not renewed.

right now there is a 13.5 million dollar payment in lieu of taxes, 7 mil this year, 6,5 next and that deal is going to expire at some point.

What are 1500 acres worth? It could take 60 years to fully clean up, and some material may never leave.

If you think Title 5 and 21E are problematic, try getting a mortgage on a property where a nuclear power plant once operated!

The clean up trust fund does not have the money to pay 60 years of taxes in addition to clean up costs

Does anybody know what’s going to happen to the tax rate for home owners in Plymouth now that the plant is shut down ? Seriously looking hard in Plymouth for a new home but don’t want to get slammed with ridiculous property taxes !
Plymouth spends so much money on retarded sh*t.

Taxes will go up.

Right now $5000 for property tax seems like a bargain anywhere on south shore. I’ve got a split ranch in blue collar /red neck town on the south shore and pay closer to $6000. As Fencer said, they never go down. Plymouth is growing fast. Look at the new commercial areas off route 3. Colony Place, Long Pond road area, The big box stores and car dealers etc. they all pay hearty taxes. Hopefully helps make up difference with plant closing. If you find a nice house that fits your needs, go for it.​

Right now $5000 for property tax seems like a bargain anywhere on south shore. I’ve got a split ranch in blue collar /red neck town on the south shore and pay closer to $6000. As Fencer said, they never go down. Plymouth is growing fast. Look at the new commercial areas off route 3. Colony Place, Long Pond road area, The big box stores and car dealers etc. they all pay hearty taxes. Hopefully helps make up difference with plant closing. If you find a nice house that fits your needs, go for it.​

And it is a GREEN town. The biggest trouble I see with Plymouth is the "Cape traffic" and tourist crowd in the summer. But the town has a lot to offer. And it's a huge town. The difference between the Carver line and the bridge is significant.

I’ve. Been tearing the town apart looking for a cape with a Garage. Non existent. Yesterday was the first time I went to a couple open houses , four actually. People were swarming over these places and I saw the same people flying from house to house ! Holy smokes this isn’t going to be easy

I’ve. Been tearing the town apart looking for a cape with a Garage. Non existent. Yesterday was the first time I went to a couple open houses , four actually. People were swarming over these places and I saw the same people flying from house to house ! Holy smokes this isn’t going to be easy
A friend in Attleboro sold his house 1 day after it listed. He also sold his Western Mass house in less than a week.

Gunner, why Plymouth and both Kingston or Halifax?

Both towns have beautiful homes, are green and have train stations.

I lived in Kingston and Pembrome and I have been a member of the Pembroke gun club for 10 years.

Where in Plymouth are you looking? (Plymouth is big).

I have some friends that just moved there, the house was around $360k and the taxes are $10k a year and I don’t think they’re including water and sewer in that. They’re over near the airport, not near the water.

Edit: I just checked Zillow and similarly priced homes and I’m not seeing anything near that number.

Last edited:
Just talked to some one from Plymouth last week. 2 new high schools, one with out any grant $$, A recent main sewer line clog, in a system that was just done a few years ago, and supposed to be cleaned every few years, but no one cleaned it, so it clogged and lets dig it up again. Another recent main st repave for the 2020 anniversary and then re dig that one up again for some reason that some one should have known better.
this is all hear say

I have some friends that just moved there, the house was around $360k and the taxes are $10k a year and I don’t think they’re including water and sewer in that. They’re over near the airport, not near the water.
360K/ 10k taxes, must be a fairly large lot or some other explanation.

Edit: I just checked Zillow and similarly priced homes and I’m not seeing anything near that number.
giphy.gif

I shouldn't write this on the fly, but:

If my recollection is correct (I'm not where I have the time and resources to refresh my recollection), Proposition 2-1/2 restrains increase in the total municipal levy, not an increase in any given taxpayer's bill. If I'm right about that, and if a town suddenly loses its biggest taxpayer, the rest of the folks will have to make up the difference -- dollar for dollar, in the aggregate -- Proposition 2-1/2 notwithstanding.

I grew up in Pembroke but home prices there seem a little out of reach. Only aiming for Plymouth. Ecause i e been there now for 20 years and my kids are still here

The septic line issue had to do with faulty metal piping and not simple clogging. There is a lawsuit with the supplier that installed the pipeline as the pipes all rusted out and began leaking within 7 years of install.

The average tax bill is now hovering at 5,000 !

So what? My tax bill is higher than that. 25 years. I think my first bill was right around 1,200. Granted I've added a garage, a 4th bedroom, a mudroom and a porch. But 4x??? C'mon. My house isn't 4x what it was worth when built.

As far as Plymouth, it's in the same poop-creek situation as Somerset is with the closing of Brayton Point a couple of years ago and with my beloved (giggle) Tawn'n with the demise of Silver City Galleria.

Instead of being fiscally responsible and using this windfall to keep tax rates low, city fathers (and mothers, and not-identified-as-a-humaners) decide to blow the $ on extras that soon become necessities.

didn't want to start something new.

What can people tell me about Kingston? No kids , I don't use the commuter rail , I enjoy being closer to the water and relatively quiet areas. Any upcoming things I should be aware of? Sewer, gas, new police station, fire dept , schools? If it werent for my job and finding something suitable to accommodate my mother, I'd be in NH. Tiverton is my other choice.

Prop 2 1/2, I believe, applies to the total tax levy for the town and not your individual tax bill. So if a large taxpayer exits town I believe they can raise everyone else’s taxes to fill the gap.

They can tax the property but if it’s non income producing and the land isn’t marketable then the value isn’t much. The tax assessment is based on the market value.

they can still tax on the land value and any structures standing if the payment in lieu of taxes deal is not renewed.

right now there is a 13.5 million dollar payment in lieu of taxes, 7 mil this year, 6,5 next and that deal is going to expire at some point.

What are 1500 acres worth? It could take 60 years to fully clean up, and some material may never leave.

If you think Title 5 and 21E are problematic, try getting a mortgage on a property where a nuclear power plant once operated!

The clean up trust fund does not have the money to pay 60 years of taxes in addition to clean up costs

There is no "clean up" of a former nuclear power plant, not in reality. Since the Fed gov't prohibits moving the spent fuel rods off the property, they will forever be on the site. IMNSHO that makes the "value" of said property pretty low. I was a former nuclear engineer back in the 1970s. One of our members was involved in the decommissioning of a power plant and perhaps he'll chime in here.

There is no "clean up" of a former nuclear power plant, not in reality. Since the Fed gov't prohibits moving the spent fuel rods off the property, they will forever be on the site. IMNSHO that makes the "value" of said property pretty low. I was a former nuclear engineer back in the 1970s. One of our members was involved in the decommissioning of a power plant and perhaps he'll chime in here.

So you have 1500 acres that are near worthless in the short term, if not longer.

I doubt the current tax revenue on that property which is north of 6 million a year is going to be sustainable if it can not be developed.

6 million in taxes at 2.5% gives a value of 240 million dollars? 160K/acre valuation? I think the Appellate Tax folks would say that 16K/acre would be more like it.... 24 million valuation, 600K in taxes, net loss to the town well in excess of 6 million a year in tax revenue. Their 2020 budget is around 259 Million dollars.

On 259 million I guess 6 million is not a lot of money... at least to the folks making the budget. The good Liberals will vote a Prop 2.5 override in easily... it is for the children ya know

But then again if you make it a church facility it is tax exempt.... something Native American perhaps?

Back
Top Bottom