NSSF Message on Shotguns & Firearms in MA

I got this note today from NSSF in my email regarding EOPSS position on short shotguns and rifles:
Anyone else see this?
Capture.JPG

Anyone see this from eopps directly? Kills all SBRs and SBSs in the state from a dealer if so.
Saw the letter directly the other day and I didn’t really read it other than it being about the Shockwave. But at second glance it is looking like they’re trying to go in another inch or two.

This doesn't mean you couldn't buy a PGO 12ga <firearm> or virgin reciever and make it into a 14" barrel 26"oal <firearm> provided the receiver was not born as, or configured with a stock to be a "shotgun" though, right? Back when the Shockwave became popular I was arguing this very same point, it's a "firearm" under federal law and a "firearm" under MGL so it would need to be on the EOPSS roster to be transferred and everyone was so eager to tell me I was wrong. Anyway, if you moved here with it, or assembled it yourself from the appropriate receiver... no problems whatsoever it sounds like.

Meanwhile what this really seems to impact is the future sale of PGO shotguns in MA.

An SBR is already a matter of a $200 stamp - you can simply buy a rifle and then cut the barrel, buy a shorter barrel, or buy a pistol and add a stock.

So they're saying SBRs and SBSs weren't considered firearms before? I'm confused...

I assume this just prevents dealers from selling them as they're not on the "approved roster"?

What crime statistics are driving these regulations? Because my gut is that 95% of crimes with guns are generally illegal (ie, cross-state transfer, stolen gun, etc.) without having to look at specific attributes to make the gun more criminal.

What crime statistics are driving these regulations? Because my gut is that 95% of crimes with guns are generally illegal (ie, cross-state transfer, stolen gun, etc.) without having to look at specific attributes to make the gun more criminal.

How have you not yet figured out that gun control is not about crime?

this "restating" sounds like re-interpretation or enforcement notice. Someone is busy in Mora's office, but this time it's without pomp and TV press conferences.

I can see this "restating" affecting all frames in the future... Just need to reinterpret the definition of a firearm in the state.

I can see this "restating" affecting all frames in the future... Just need to reinterpret the definition of a firearm in the state.

I have the letter. It cannot affect frames as they don't have a barrel, typically and this specifically deals with barrel lengths under 16 inches and under 18 for a shotgun. After reading it I actually think this will fly a short legal. They define SBSs and SBRs as firearms and according to the quoted definition it appears correct. I would have to read the rest of the statute to see if it fits overall and they didn't cherry pick one line.

At this point my form 4 is dead and a letter is going to the atf to void it.

"''Firearm'', a pistol, revolver or other weapon of any description, loaded or unloaded, from which a shot or bullet can be discharged and of which the length of the barrel or barrels is less than 16 inches or 18 inches in the case of a shotgun as originally manufactured; provided, however, that the term firearm shall not include any weapon that is: (i) constructed in a shape that does not resemble a handgun, short-barreled rifle or short-barreled shotgun including, but not limited to, covert weapons that resemble key-chains, pens, cigarette-lighters or cigarette-packages; or (ii) not detectable as a weapon or potential weapon by x-ray machines commonly used at airports or walk- through metal detectors. "

"''Weapon'', any rifle, shotgun or firearm"

MGL 140, 121

I don't think being a "firearm" means it needs to be on roster, doesn't it have to be a pistol?

Last edited:
"''Firearm'', a pistol, revolver or other weapon of any description, loaded or unloaded, from which a shot or bullet can be discharged and of which the length of the barrel or barrels is less than 16 inches or 18 inches in the case of a shotgun as originally manufactured; provided, however, that the term firearm shall not include any weapon that is: (i) constructed in a shape that does not resemble a handgun, short-barreled rifle or short-barreled shotgun including, but not limited to, covert weapons that resemble key-chains, pens, cigarette-lighters or cigarette-packages; or (ii) not detectable as a weapon or potential weapon by x-ray machines commonly used at airports or walk- through metal detectors. "

"''Weapon'', any rifle, shotgun or firearm"

MGL 140, 121

I don't think being a "firearm" means it needs to be on roster, doesn't it have to be a pistol?

Read S. 123 on the roster issue. I think that you are wrong in this case.

Read S. 123 on the roster issue. I think that you are wrong in this case.

S 123 is a long one. FFS.

So, as I read it, the "roster" is actually CMR and not mentioned in 123- 123 only mentions Olympic arms and formal target shooting firearms. This wouldn't fit either one of those, so while a gun might still have to pass clauses 18-21.

So going back to the beginning here:

The state says:
"Firearm includes any weapon "from which a shot or bullet can be discharged and which the length of the barrel is less than 16 or 18 inches in the case of a shotgun"

The law reads: (and I'm going to insert the states weapon wordage)

"''Firearm'', a pistol, revolver or other [any rifle, shotgun or firearm] of any description, loaded or unloaded, from which a shot or bullet can be discharged and of which the length of the barrel or barrels is less than 16 inches or 18 inches in the case of a shotgun as originally manufactured; provided, however, that the term firearm shall not include any [any rifle, shotgun or firearm] that is: (i) constructed in a shape that does not resemble a handgun, short-barreled rifle or short-barreled shotgun including, but not limited to, covert weapons that resemble key-chains, pens, cigarette-lighters or cigarette-packages; or (ii) not detectable as a weapon or potential weapon by x-ray machines commonly used at airports or walk- through metal detectors. "

As long as it conforms to sections 18-21 which deal with product testing that while parallels the handgun testing guidelines, is not mandated by the state?

I dunno. I don't have my glasses on and my legalese is weak these days, but I almost read the state laws read opposite of what they'd like to think?

Simply put if something meets the MGL C. 140 S. 121 definition of a "firearm" (short gun) or S. 123 defines the sort of gun as falling under this section, it must appear on the EOPS List to be legal for a MA Dealer to transfer.

Simply put if something meets the MGL C. 140 S. 121 definition of a "firearm" (short gun) or S. 123 defines the sort of gun as falling under this section, it must appear on the EOPS List to be legal for a MA Dealer to transfer.
And because it's not a long gun, presumably it can only be purchased in one's state of residence?

So "term firearm shall not include any [any rifle, shotgun or firearm] that is: (i) constructed in a shape that does not resemble a handgun, short-barreled rifle or short-barreled shotgun..." is meaningless?

Back
Top Bottom