• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NSSF filed vs AGO!

The stupid Globe article was clear to point out that NSSF headquarters are in Newtown CT. That really pissed me off for some reason...
The propaganda outlets can't write a story about "gun control" without mentioning Newtown. Try to find one.

The NRA, GOAL, and NSSF worked together on litigation responses. The fact that NRA and GOAL are not listed as plaintiffs does not mean they weren't involved.

In defense of the NSSF, there's no value added to mentioning that GOAL/Comm2A were involved and will continue to be.

The stupid Globe article was clear to point out that NSSF headquarters are in Newtown CT. That really pissed me off for some reason...
The NSSF was in Newtown long before the Sandy Hook massacre occurred, though they considered moving out afterward.
http://www.hhshootingsports.com/WireShots/archives/6701

Good to hear the NSSF is involved in this suit, though I suspect they will lose. In the interim, which will be years, Healey's expanded ban will still be in place.

So did Sullivan get a change of heart from his days at ATF...? Help me out here.
The text below if from his Wiki- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Sullivan_(U.S._Attorney)

President Bush nominated Sullivan to be permanent director [of the AFT] in 2007, but the nomination was blocked by a Senate hold placed by Senators David Vitter (R-Louisiana), Michael Crapo (R-Idaho) and Larry E. Craig (R-Idaho). They expressed their concern that the ATF is hostile to small gun dealers, pursuing them overzealously for small paperwork infractions and driving law-abiding small retailers out of business. They said that Sullivan was indifferent to their concerns and "exhibits a lack of willingness to address these problems."[SUP][14][/SUP]
Sullivan has been criticized frequently by one such affected gun dealer, Ryan Horsley of Red’s Trading Post, Twin Falls, Idaho, Idaho's oldest gun dealership.[SUP][14][/SUP] Horsley says that the ATF has a long track record of abusive behavior and Sullivan, as Acting Director, continued to defend the ATF's abusive actions without any indication of making changes.[SUP][15][/SUP]
Sullivan was a keynote speaker and special guest at the 2007 Great Lakes Summit on Gun Violence conference.[SUP][16][/SUP] This conference was organized by the International Association of Chiefs of Police and funded by a $375,000 grant from the Joyce Foundation.[SUP][17][/SUP] The report of the conference was titled "Taking a Stand: Reducing Gun Violence in Our Communities" and called for the passage of several gun bans and gun control measures.[SUP][16][/SUP] The National Rifle Association has criticized the IACP report, calling it "a rubber stamp, bought and paid for, of the pre-existing agenda for gun ban groups." The report was produced with assistance from the Joyce Foundation's Communications Director and with contributions from gun control advocates such as Kristen Rand and Tom Diaz of the Violence Policy Center. The NRA has called the Joyce Foundation an activist foundation whose "shadowy web of huge donations" leads "straight to puppet strings that control the agenda of gun ban groups".[SUP][18][/SUP]
Sullivan's confirmation was opposed by gun rights groups such as the Gun Owners of America,[SUP][19][/SUP] Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms[SUP][20][/SUP] and Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership.[SUP][21][/SUP] The NRA did not categorically state its opposition to the confirmation of Mr. Sullivan but expressed its concern over the ATF's "overly restrictive legal interpretations" and "overly zealous enforcement activities".[SUP][22][/SUP]

But SCOTUS will be a 4 - 4 decision with the current make up of the court. Likely worse with an Hillary appointee.

Bob

Keep in mind that the Connecticut case took four years to get to SCOTUS and was denied to be heard. This is going to take three to five years to work out. Half of the current eight are getting close to their own deaths or retirement. Ginsburg was born three years before Scalia.

Same here... completely irrelevant "massacre".

It's not like they said, "yeah, let's move it to Newtown to rub it in everyone's face."

Seriously.. Someone post all their current inventory on one page so I can prioritize where and when I spend my money at these places.

Go to the store, thank whoever is behind the counter, and look at what's in stock. If you are like me you will find 5 guns at any given store that you'd like to add to the collection - you can always use another .45 :)

In defense of the NSSF, there's no value added to mentioning that GOAL/Comm2A were involved and will continue to be.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I did not mean to imply that the NSSF should have mentioned the involvement of GOAL, NRA, and/or Comm2a. My response was aimed at the comment that seemed to imply that GOAL, NRA weren't doing anything and weren't involved in this litigation.

I'm wondering if they went the FED route because this decision has had ramifications for interstate commerce. There are companies that are now not even selling simple parts like handguards and grips to MA.

Looking at the complaint, this is only raising constitutional issues under the US Constitution. It is generally always better to raise these types of claims in federal court, particularly where if the end game is to get to SCOTUS. If you're going to end up in federal court then you might as well start there.

There are still state level claims that can be brought, such as separation of powers and administrative procedures challenges. I imagine we will see comm2a file some state-level claims.

Looking at the complaint, this is only raising constitutional issues under the US Constitution. It is generally always better to raise these types of claims in federal court, particularly where if the end game is to get to SCOTUS. If you're going to end up in federal court then you might as well start there.

There are still state level claims that can be brought, such as separation of powers and administrative procedures challenges. I imagine we will see comm2a file some state-level claims.

I can't imagine Comm2A ever filing anything in MA Marsupial Courts!!! To date they have only become involved at that level when someone else already started the action there, and the results in those courts have been and will continue to be dismal.

Thank you to the 4 retailers who are part of the suit!
Amen! [grin] Thank you very much guys!!!

I will now resume shopping at Pullman.
Ha!!! Me too I guess. Gave up on them after some sour experiences. Time to give them a fresh new look. [grin]

I'm fan of Paper City. They've treated me well on a couple of occasions. Good for them all!
I finally got out there the other day for the first time. Can't wait for them to move to their new bigger, better location. [wink]

The folks are Grrr Gear in Orange are great folks as well.
That's a new one for me. Road trip time I guess! [laugh]

I can't imagine Comm2A ever filing anything in MA Marsupial Courts!!! To date they have only become involved at that level when someone else already started the action there, and the results in those courts have been and will continue to be dismal.

Sadly the judges that Baker is appointing will most likely be equally hostile to the 2A

Keep in mind that the Connecticut case took four years to get to SCOTUS and was denied to be heard. This is going to take three to five years to work out. Half of the current eight are getting close to their own deaths or retirement. Ginsburg was born three years before Scalia.

Which makes the election even more critical.

Bob

does having more help ?

Also is there a go fund page for this stuff.
I give to goal and comm2a
I wont be spending any money at shops per say but I will gladly put into a fund.

Having more helps when you're dealing with individuals without deep pockets. Notice how I said individuals.

For instance, I was thinking of filing suit against my town PD in RI. One of the lawyers I spoke to specifically told me that it would be in my advantage to get another guy on board. I got a lead about another guy from my town, but I never met him since he was a friend of a guy I knew. I figured moving to NH would be a better investment of my money, so...

Point being, if I did sue and I got Guy B to also sue, we could split the legal bill and there would be evidence of the town screwing not only one, but two residents out of a carry permit. Suing a police department is big money - think low end of five digits. That's a town mind you, not a state.

But this is the NSSF and local gun distributors/stores. The NSSF does not need financial help like I would have (but I'm sure they appreciate anything they can get).

More parties in a suit is like having more people at a party - it can get complex.

Sadly the judges that Baker is appointing will most likely be equally hostile to the 2A

Not our "Republican" Governor, say it ain't so.
I don't want to just see him lose in 2018, I want to see him crushed like a slug under a tire.
I honestly don't give a crap who wins as long as it's not him.
Apparently it's a token position with no power anyway according to him.

It's just hopeful speculation on my part. Sadly an administrative procedure claim or separation of powers challenge may be the best chance at fighting the AG (because that wouldn't be directly related to evil guns). Comm2a is the only other player I'm aware of so if they don't do it then I'm not sure who will.

Except from a fund raising perspective, more plaintiffs does not help as it does not change the legal arguments or issues.

The reason to have 3-4 plaintiffs in a case like the is like having more than one kid - you want a spare in case something happens to one of them. If there was one plaintiff and that person died, did not renew their FFL, etc., standing would be lost and the case dismissed as moot.

I sent an email to the law firm to see if there was anything at all I could do to help their cause. I work in downtown Boston, and if that's where they're operating this action out of, hell - I'll buy them coffee or whatever else I can do to keep them moving. No response, yet.

Any suit filed in MA state courts over gun issues has an approximately 0% chance of success. MA state courts will countenance any law or regulation that restricts the sale, use, possession, and ownership of guns, because "gunz r bad". I'm not sure what the odds are in federal court but they're better than zero.

I believe the Federal courts have handed several defeats to the Pro-2A side in the recent past, but it's been mostly for states that are already behind enemy lines.

Amen! [grin] Thank you very much guys!!!

Ha!!! Me too I guess. Gave up on them after some sour experiences. Time to give them a fresh new look. [grin]

I finally got out there the other day for the first time. Can't wait for them to move to their new bigger, better location. [wink]

That's a new one for me. Road trip time I guess! [laugh]

Let's not forget to thank S&W as well!

Grrr Gear - My wife and I just got back for our first trip out to visit the shop, and it will not be our last. Super nice people and a very interesting shop including hunting, archery, firearms, and general outdoors supplies and clothing. It was mostly a visit to say thanks but I did pick up some ammo and my wife got herself a cute Grrr Gear t-shirt (I think they do embroidery and screen printing)

We had a nice chat - they are aware of this thread on NES and are members. They were surprised by, and appreciative of, the emails and other words of support they have been getting - I am sure they would like to hear from you guys.

They are looking to expand public awareness of their shop and so they have a TV commercial produced and ready to air. They were asking us about advertising on the cable system here in the Westgardminsterham area but we live in the forest and have satellite so we were of no help -- other than my wife suggest airing it on YouTube for a start. I said I would ask on NES and that they might get offers of help finding media outlets (so you guys should consider yourselves asked).

I wish them all the best going forward with the NSSF associated lawsuit and we will certainly visit them again.

Back
Top Bottom