• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NRA vs Goal

You should be a member of both.

IF you could only afford one, I would recommend GOAL first since it is more local to your concerns.

I would love you join the good fight with memberships to the NRA, GOAL, COMM2A, GOA and any other pro-2nd organization you feel has your best interests at heart.

The benefit is we need to hit from every side and each one of these organizations is doing one thing or another that as a whole will allow for the continued success of maintaining our 2nd Amendment and other rights.

Last edited:
NRA's role is legislative and intimidation at the National Level. They do not typically get involved at the state/city/town level.

GOAL's role is legislative and education at the MA Level, focusing on state laws. Their charter does NOT include litigation (that is what I was told by GOAL).

Comm2A's role is litigation at the MA Level, filing suit in US District Court to overturn the ridiculous laws we have and other inappropriate practices by local chiefs. [It is [STRIKE=undefined]NOT[/STRIKE] a "membership" org, but you can and should donate regularly via their website. www.comm2a.org] Their charter is NOT legislative.

As you can see above, all 3 have different but complimentary roles and therefore all 3 are deserving of our support.

ETA: When I wrote this in 2013, Comm2A was NOT a membership org. This changed in 2015 and they are now a membership org. Anyone who donates $50 or more in a year automatically becomes a member. This gives them "standing" in the courts to sue on our behalf.

Last edited:
NRA's role is legislative and intimidation at the National Level. They do not typically get involved at the state/city/town level.

GOAL's role is legislative and education at the MA Level, focusing on state laws. Their charter does NOT include litigation (that is what I was told by GOAL).

Comm2A's role is litigation at the MA Level, filing suit in US District Court to overturn the ridiculous laws we have and other inappropriate practices by local chiefs. [It is NOT a "membership" org, but you can and should donate regularly via their website. www.comm2a.org] Their charter is NOT legislative.

As you can see above, all 3 have different but complimentary roles and therefore all 3 are deserving of our support.

Please don't forget Gun Owners of America that push at the national level for no compromise of the RKBA. As well as the Second Amendment Foundation that pushes litigation at a national level.

The order of importance as I see it to spend $$ in Mass is:
1) Comm2A
2) SAF
3) Goal
4) GOA
5) NRA

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

The NRA does absolutely nothing in MA. In fact, LaPierre was quoted after the NY SAFE act passed saying "We had no time to act there." Well they do have time to act in MA and they've still done nothing as far as I can tell. Plus, they just sent me a membership renewal even though mine doesn't expire for 5 years. If I didn't need the membership for my club and if I didn't believe their total membership number makes them powerful at the federal level, I wouldn't be a member.

GOAL is basically the only group lobbying for MA gun owners in the MA State House and state level politicians are the biggest threat MA gun owners face. So state level organizations like GOAL and Comm2A should be your top priority.

Paul, NRA's charter is to deal with National issues. They can't really know what goes on at state/local level and thus each state has (or should have) a parallel org like GOAL to monitor and deal with the local issues.

------------

Sorry, I did forget SAF . . . HTRN is correct about their importance in the picture. I don't know enough about GOA to make any judgment at this time.

-----------

Disclaimer: My Wife and I are both life members of NRA, GOAL, SAF and PGNH (NH group) as well as monthly contributors to Comm2A.

Paul, NRA's charter is to deal with National issues. They can't really know what goes on at state/local level and thus each state has (or should have) a parallel org like GOAL to monitor and deal with the local issues.

------------

Sorry, I did forget SAF . . . HTRN is correct about their importance in the picture. I don't know enough about GOA to make any judgment at this time.

-----------

Disclaimer: My Wife and I are both life members of NRA, GOAL, SAF and PGNH (NH group) as well as monthly contributors to Comm2A.

Len, yes, I know.

That said, they *have* inserted themselves at the state level before. Further, LaPierre did say what I mentioned regarding NY. If they weren't going to do anything anyway, it's disingenuous to make that statement.

It would be great to donate to all of them, but start with GOAL and go up the list. As you read more about each organization, you will develop a connection and that's where your dollars will go.

GOAL is very active in MA. If you live anywhere near Northborough, stop in to see them. Great folks. You will enjoy your visit.

Back
Top Bottom