NRA Reportedly $10.8 Million in Debt, Cutting Spending

I've said it before, organizations are created to address an issue. Over time, they become institutions. Eventually their purpose is to perpetuate themselves, rather than address the issues they were created for.
Those in charge perpetuate their own personal well being and security. Wayne has been there too long, he's in it to keep himself in it.

It would be one thing if the NRA was bloated but effective. Nobody would care and everyone would think the juice was worth the squeeze. That's not the on the ground
reality though. Various small time RKBA groups are better at "getting things done" than the NRA is at this point, relative to the money/manpower used. The "but the librals pay attention to the NRA all the time and they act as a dummy load for attacks" trope is getting tired and old with most RKBA-driven gun owners. That's just a shitty argument. If the idea is to have a worthless group that the moonbats attack all the time, you can probably do it for 10% of whatever the NRA spends to do it... Not to mention "only the NRA can lobby congress" is a tired trope, look at the turncoat (formerly nra rated well) f***ing moonbat pols like gillibrand etc. They no longer care about the NRA's lobbying and don't consider it a threat. What did they do under a republican congress early in the trump admin? They pandered for a stupid ham-fisted national reciprocity bill that had no chance of going anywhere.

I also used to argue "well at least it was great for training and such" but with that blended learning shit they pissed off the instructors and tossed that into a blender and f***ed all that up, too.

Of course one could argue given the captivated base of NRA members, if the toilet could be flushed in management it would cheaper than trying to reinvent the wheel. That said I look at the whole thing like an unsunken titantic that has the main drive motor knocked out. It's not sunk but it's pretty much worthless other than twirling around on an anchor and making noise through loudspeakers. It sure as hell isn't doing much otherwise.

-Mike

Yeah they mail stupid junk that goes right into the garbage. I swear that the NRA is run by liberals. No one can waste money like a liberal. But hey I could be wrong.

I think their claim is that the NRA doesn't actually fund any of that shit, but some company who sells the videos basically underwrites it and gives the NRA a cut if anyone bites or something like that, that stuff is all out of
band, supposedly. But it's a shitty way of doing things and creates a bad impression of the organization. You should not have to "explain" something like that to your member base, it's just a bad look out of the gate.

-Mike

looks like they'll need to start selling off the nra firearms museum collection. budget balanced and a surplus in the treasury within a couple weeks. with the surplus, maybe they can give away better quality knives. lol

I've added to Jerry Pournelle's Iron Rule of Bureaucracy. The original:
Pournelle's Iron Law of Bureaucracy states that in any bureaucratic organization there will be two kinds of people":

First, there will be those who are devoted to the goals of the organization. Examples are dedicated classroom teachers in an educational bureaucracy, many of the engineers and launch technicians and scientists at NASA, even some agricultural scientists and advisors in the former Soviet Union collective farming administration.

Secondly, there will be those dedicated to the organization itself. Examples are many of the administrators in the education system, many professors of education, many teachers union officials, much of the NASA headquarters staff, etc.

The Iron Law states that in every case the second group will gain and keep control of the organization. It will write the rules, and control promotions within the organization.

My addition: Over time, the second group will redefine the organization's primary purpose as a source of personal income and power for themselves.

Got a call from them last week. Old lady with southern twang launched into a scripted monologue without coming up for air. I just hung up....

I first joined the NRA as a ten-year-old so I could shoot at a range. It's been downhill ever since. They lost me completely when Wayne was spittling on Meet the Press and Gregory held up an illegal-in-DC 30 round mag. He had an opportunity to eviscerate him by pointing out that Gregory was committing a felony by possessing that mag and how stupid the law was. Instead, he was all defensive and drooling. He is a horrible speaker, and apparently a horrible manager.

Last edited:
I have stopped donating extra. Just keeping my certs up when they come due. When they clean up the swamp I will start donating again. As of now GOAL, Com2a, SAF, and GOA are my primary donations

They have a pension plant?????

WTF.

How can an organization that relies on donations have a pension plan?

What will I learn next...are they also a union shop?

Most tax-exempt organizations have pension plans because, in some cases, their wages aren't subject to FICA-Med and FICA-SS, so they don't have social security to fall back on when they retire, or at least a minimal amount.

Soooo. . . . . . we think that Wayne is spending all the $ on himself???

Seriously????

$10 million.

You know stuff ebbs and flows. Just like gun sales, NRA memberships dip when people THINK that life is AOK. I'm curious what the revenue picture looked like more than the expense one over the last 3 years.

Keep in mind those reporting these items are NOT friends of the NRA. Be careful who you listen to. The Washington Post. Seriously.

Most tax-exempt organizations have pension plans because, in some cases, their wages aren't subject to FICA-Med and FICA-SS, so they don't have social security to fall back on when they retire, or at least a minimal amount.
That makes sense. But they rely on donations. How do you forecast for the future in that case?

You cant assume the fund will not underperform and you wont need to put more money into it.

It almost seems like a conflict of interest. A lot of people only donate when they see them fighting the gov. If they put too good of a fight and laws are rolled back, will all those people still donate?

That makes sense. But they rely on donations. How do you forecast for the future in that case?

You cant assume the fund will not underperform and you wont need to put more money into it.

It almost seems like a conflict of interest. A lot of people only donate when they see them fighting the gov. If they put too good of a fight and laws are rolled back, will all those people still donate?

Pensions are placed in a separate fund that has actuarial calculations to determine funding. All the pension shortfalls you hear about are mostly because pension administrators relied on market increases to fund future liabilities (as you noted). That’s never happened and I’m at a loss to determine why that practice hasn’t been stopped, if not curtailed.

Soooo. . . . . . we think that Wayne is spending all the $ on himself???

Seriously????

$10 million.

You know stuff ebbs and flows. Just like gun sales, NRA memberships dip when people THINK that life is AOK. I'm curious what the revenue picture looked like more than the expense one over the last 3 years.

Keep in mind those reporting these items are NOT friends of the NRA. Be careful who you listen to. The Washington Post. Seriously.

It's not them I listen to .
It's the words straight out the horse's mouth (Or in this case the horse's ass. )
They screwed us on bump stocks , they screwed us on ERPOs and if they don't step up to the plate on this silencer crap, and anything else that comes down the pike from here on in , I'm done after 40 some odd years.
You don't compromise with these relentless gun grabbing dicks.
If a dumbass like me can figure it out, then a guy who clothing expenses adds up to two years of what I earn should f*cking A right be able to.

I won't re-up or give them anything until Wayne, Chris, Marion Hammer and a whole host of other board members are gone.

The bigger problem to me is the choke hold they have on ranges. Countless ranges force NRA membership to get the kickback giving the NRA a source of continual revenue stream. I could be wrong but at least that's my understanding of it.

However what I'd really like to see is the NRA continue to be the boogeyman to those on the left while a true gun rights group like GOA or FPC get organized, increase membership and grow in relative silence.

I won't re-up or give them anything until Wayne, Chris, Marion Hammer and a whole host of other board members are gone.

The bigger problem to me is the choke hold they have on ranges. Countless ranges force NRA membership to get the kickback giving the NRA a source of continual revenue stream. I could be wrong but at least that's my understanding of it.

However what I'd really like to see is the NRA continue to be the boogeyman to those on the left while a true gun rights group like GOA or FPC get organized, increase membership and grow in relative silence.

If the NRA ever shits the bed, ranges wont skip a beat because the insurance companies will sell them insurance directly and overnight and save the NRA's cut for themselves.

If the NRA ever shits the bed, ranges wont skip a beat because the insurance companies will sell them insurance directly and overnight and save the NRA's cut for themselves.

Or insurance companies will deem them to be too risky to insure (or charge them a king’s ransom), forcing many clubs to try to self-insure, which very few would have the capacity to do.

Hopefully the NRA can still avoid the proverbial iceberg, but they better throw the captain overboard real soon.

Or insurance companies will deem them to be too risky to insure (or charge them a king’s ransom), forcing many clubs to try to self-insure, which very few would have the capacity to do.

Hopefully the NRA can still avoid the proverbial iceberg, but they better throw the captain overboard real soon.

Nationally its got to be a boat load of insurance funds. I doubt that insurance co.'s would perceive it a greater risk to insure the clubs they have always insured just because the NRA is out of the picture. Since when has the NRA been know to be a insurance safety factor.

Always good to get your "news" about the NRA from the extreme leftist anti-2A Daily Beast and the leftist anti-2A Bezos Compost... two righteous, trustworthy sources that we can always rely on to tell us the unbiased truth. [laugh]

I don't understand where the notion of risk is coming from- a house with a trampoline or a swimming pool is probably a higher actuarial risk than a typical private gun club is. Yes, we've seen birdbrains on the range from time to time but overall gun "accidents" etc at these places that result in lawsuit fodder are typically exceptionally rare. An underwriter that has a bunch of these clubs is likely going to make far more than they lose if we're just talking liability insurance.... further, there are a bunch of private clubs that already don't use NRA insurance anyways.....

-Mike

There are other insurance companies that insure clubs. When I was on a board we had no problem getting covered and the NRA was never involved.

Always good to get your "news" about the NRA from the extreme leftist anti-2A Daily Beast and the leftist anti-2A Bezos Compost... two righteous, trustworthy sources that we can always rely on to tell us the unbiased truth. [laugh]

Which liberal rag does he work for ?

Or him ?

We need the NRA and always have , it just needs a serious enema.
This "We want your money to sell you down the river " shit needs to stop here and now.
No compromise now or ever.

Back
Top Bottom